Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 07:24 AM   #46
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
There's an impressions post on Reddit comparing the Kobo Clara BW against the 2e. Seems like the most noticable change is the overall speed.

Personally, I think this might be a huge step up from the Clara HD.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:48 AM   #47
binarymelon
binarymelon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Has anyone tested if the Libra Colour fits in Libra 2 cases?
binarymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #48
heddleston
heddleston doesn't litterheddleston doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H20 2
One of the linked videos mentioned that you'd need a new case, but i dont think he tested it. Looking at the specs of the Libra 2, the Color is thinner by .7mm and so may not snap into place.
heddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:12 PM   #49
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddleston View Post
One of the linked videos mentioned that you'd need a new case, but i dont think he tested it. Looking at the specs of the Libra 2, the Color is thinner by .7mm and so may not snap into place.
The Libra 2 has squared sides. The new Libra Colour uses rounded edges so they're more oval like the old Kindles. I've seen the new cases in person, as those broke street date almost a month ago now.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:22 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
The Libra 2 has squared sides. The new Libra Colour uses rounded edges so they're more oval like the old Kindles. I've seen the new cases in person, as those broke street date almost a month ago now.
The Libra Color looks similar to the Libra 2. Without having them side-by-side, I don't think you'd notice any differences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:54 AM   #51
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Here's a new video about the Libra Color by Maneetpaul Singh:

(I haven't watched it yet)
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:30 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Here's a new video about the Libra Color by Maneetpaul Singh:

(I haven't watched it yet)
Start at 7:00 in and you'll see where who compares the Libra Color (in BW) to the Libra 2 with the light off.

What I really want to know is what light level would be set on the Libra Color to match the screen of the Libra 2. 51% is too high.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:48 AM   #53
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Start at 7:00 in and you'll see where who compares the Libra Color (in BW) to the Libra 2 with the light off.

What I really want to know is what light level would be set on the Libra Color to match the screen of the Libra 2. 51% is too high.
What I found interesting is that he discussed his concerns with the resolution/darkness issues but still likes it more than the L2 because of the increased speed/responsiveness which he spent time showing. I like my L2 but would love a faster response time changing pages, opening books, and for any menu adjustments. Too bad they didn't produce a Libra 3/BW model.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #54
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
The same reviewer also posted this video comparing the screens of the PW, L2, and LC:

slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:04 AM   #55
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I tend to think the text on the Color looks more like text on regular novel paper which is not perfectly smooth because of grain/fiber in the paper itself lol.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:39 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
The same reviewer also posted this video comparing the screens of the PW, L2, and LC:

So the PW5 and the L2 are crispy and the the LC is soggy.

The major problem is that in order to get the LC to look similar to the others, he upped the light too much. 50% is too bright compared to the L2/PW5 with no light.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-25-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:30 PM   #57
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post

At 2:00 he mentions something that I think a lot of people/general public haven't really thought about Kaleido. Because it's a permanent filter layer then all light areas will have RGB speckles, which is why it seems darker. The whole 300 dpi mono spec, while technically true for the underlying Carta layer, doesn't really come through as 300 dpi of just dark or light spots. It comes through as darker or lighter RGB spots. I think a lot of the general public takes the 300 dpi mono spec at face value and doesn't think through how the color layer is always filtering and that it means that you aren't really ever getting mono.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #58
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Thanks for posting those latest videos.

So yes, the Libra Colour screen is darker when compared to the other two readers. But my immediate reaction was, "Who cares!?" When the reviewer had the backlight at 0%, the screen brightness of the Libra Colour looked just fine to me. If there had been no other readers sitting right beside it, I'd have had no issue with the display.

And even if the screen is a smidge too dark, I can turn up the backlight. I paid for an ereader that has a backlight in it so why on earth wouldn't I use it? Sure, maybe I'll consume more battery power and end up having to charge a day earlier but again, so what?

So far, none of these reviews have dampened my enthusiasm and anticipation of receiving my Libra Colour preorder. C'mon 30 April!
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:20 PM   #59
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hehe, Maneetpaul is still complaining about the Libra's buttons after all this time.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:37 PM   #60
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Hehe, Maneetpaul is still complaining about the Libra's buttons after all this time.
Fair enough, too! The buttons are so crap. I can’t believe they haven’t updated them with this new iteration. Either way, counting down the days til April 30.
cerem0ny is online now   Reply With Quote