Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
unusual text-to-speech glitch

I noticed with my new Kindle 3 that when I turn on text-to-speech, it will skip the first word, or a few syllables. After that first glitch, it's perfectly fine. If I turn TTS off, then instantly on again, it behaves fine. If I leave it off for a bit (about a minute), then turn it back on, the problem surfaces again. This happens with the speakers or headphones, so it seems to be an issue with the sound chip. Almost like it needs a small bit of warm up before it's able to produce sound.

I doubt I'm going to use this feature much (or play mp3s), so I'm not too worried about it, but wondering if anyone else has this issue. Thanks!

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I noticed with my new Kindle 3 that when I turn on text-to-speech, it will skip the first word, or a few syllables. After that first glitch, it's perfectly fine. If I turn TTS off, then instantly on again, it behaves fine. If I leave it off for a bit (about a minute), then turn it back on, the problem surfaces again. This happens with the speakers or headphones, so it seems to be an issue with the sound chip. Almost like it needs a small bit of warm up before it's able to produce sound.

I doubt I'm going to use this feature much (or play mp3s), so I'm not too worried about it, but wondering if anyone else has this issue. Thanks!

-HM
Must be how TTS works on the Kindle cause it's the same on mine. I usually turn it on a sentence before the one I actually want to start at.

They might have fixed it in 3.1.0. I'm on 3.0.3.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Must be how TTS works on the Kindle cause it's the same on mine. I usually turn it on a sentence before the one I actually want to start at.
Thanks for the confirmation. It doesn't appear to do it on my wife's Kindle 2 though, so I wonder what they changed in the sound chip.

-HM
Old 02-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. It doesn't appear to do it on my wife's Kindle 2 though, so I wonder what they changed in the sound chip.

-HM
Which version is your Kindle, mate ?
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Hollow Man
Addict

I manually ran the update to 3.1.

-HM
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I expect that its more that the Nuance TTS server process that actually does the conversion isn't ready and takes a couple seconds to initialize so its dropping the first few phonemes.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Actually, the problem is the speaker. The speaker is turned off automatically by the Kindle to conserve power. So each time a sound is made, the speaker needs a second to turn back on. Thus, the beginning of all of the sounds are cut off.

I tested this on my K3G (3.1) by playing music and then immediately using TTS, an it had not cutoff.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Hollow Man
Addict

I don't think it's the external speakers, per se, since it also happens when headphones are plugged in. But I wouldn't be surprised if some power related component is late to turning on, causing the problem.

-HM