Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
BerndSch
BerndSch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Save changed metadata to the file in the library

When I add a new book (epub or pdf) and edit the metadata I would to like to save the changed metadata directly to the library file.
How do I do this?

At the moment the metadata is only written into the calibre database but not stored into the ebook file.

That's a problem, because when I load the ebook through the calibre content server to my Transformer Prime (used App: Aldiko) the ebook on my device has no title, author or tags.

So how do I save the metadata in the ebook file after editing the metadata in calibre?
BerndSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
convert or reconvert the book. PDF to PDF or epub to epub
Save to disk will do it as well, but then the copy is not in your library.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Read this thread
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
BerndSch
BerndSch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, reconverting the PDF isn't an option, because the PDF is useless after the conversion. I don't want to convert the whole PDF, just add the metadata.

So I saved all my pdfs to disk, deleted the original PDF from the library and reimported it.

Really painful procedure!
I really don't know why it's not possible to add a "save metadata to library file" option, espacially when so much people are asking for such an option
BerndSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is interesting. Generally I convert my PDF to epub. Which doesn't always work out well although most are ok if not a lot of large images in them.

I will try your approach for cookbooks etc.

Helen
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndSch View Post
Ok, reconverting the PDF isn't an option, because the PDF is useless after the conversion. I don't want to convert the whole PDF, just add the metadata.

So I saved all my pdfs to disk, deleted the original PDF from the library and reimported it.

Really painful procedure!
I really don't know why it's not possible to add a "save metadata to library file" option, espacially when so much people are asking for such an option
Not all formats have writable metadata.
Patches are always welcome.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

There are also a lot of permutations. Every week or so a new device added, around a dozen formats supported.

I have 4 or more formats for a lot of books, 8 if you count the original formats such as original_epub as I have several readers, tablets and my mothers as well to consider. Many have more formats.

People often complain about metadata update speed already. It would be slower if all formats were updated on the fly.

Still calibre evolves and as theducks said, if you submit a patch and it works well it will likely be incorporated.

Helen

PS AFAIK PDF support is pretty low priority at present so any outside support is probably doubly welcomed.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 02-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you transfer books in either epub or mobi format via the content server, metadata in the transferred copy is automatically updated. PDF, no, because PDF is a disaster of a format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, metadata