Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #91
Nifty
Enthusiast
Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirkell View Post
Should I be able to register the Kindle via the USB connection and if its registered can I purchase / sync books as if Im on the Whispernet ?
As I understand, this is impossible at this moment , unless someone establish inet-whispernet proxy server.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #92
Mr.X
Mr.X began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
A couple of tips for dozy windoze xp sp3 (32 bit) users like myself:

- use google to find and install the windows gumstix usb linux rndis driver - you'll need this for your USB network connection to your kindle
- if your main PC (that you will connect your kindle by usb to) has its main ethernet (or wifi) LAN connection set as eg 192.168.1.x then choose a different subnet for the HOST IP and KINDLE IP referred to above - eg 10.1.0.1 for Kindle and 10.1.0.2 for host (that's right - your main PC will have two network addresses now, 192.168.1.x and 10.1.0.2 and you will need to set 10.1.0.2 manually yourself using windows tcp/ip properties)
- after you have connected your kindle's usb networking connection and got telnet to work then rerun the network setup wizard on your main PC and make sure you choose the connects directly to the internet and other computers access via this computer option. You will then get asked which network connections share the internet connection and you can tick the box for 192.168.1.x and 10.1.0.2. Then ICS should definitely be working for your linux usb connection

Hope this helps someone out there.

NB version 5 (first page of this thread) works as is without any modifications with Kindle 2 and winxp sp3. You only need to customise your IP addresses, nothing else
Thanks for that information - I wasn't having much luck with the OSX-based info.

However, I have tried 6 ways from Sunday to get this to work with my Vista x86 PC, and I simply cannot get it to work. I've tried everything I can think of and I am not having any success.

I have a Kindle2, and I had no problem getting the firmware update done and have gotten the Kindle connected to the PC with usbNetworking. I set the IPs exactly as you suggested, and modified usbNetwork as required.
I tried other IP combinations too just to see.

I can ping the Kindle but that's it. I don't have telnet so I haven't tried that.

I set up the connection sharing on the PC to share my LAN connection (to the internet) with the Kindle connection, but no joy. No data is being transferred as far as I can tell. I also tried "bridging" the connections instead of sharing, but that made no difference.

I've tried it with "Wireless On" and "Wireless Off" on the Kindle, "Wireless Off" of course comes back right away with "Do you want to turn on Wireless".

Wireless bars stay NOT "filled in".

I tried another linux.inf (called 1973 I believe) as well from a forum where they were talking about Vista support. It's another inf for the GumStix RNDIS USB network driver...

Not sure where to go from here or what else I can try???

Help??!!
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #93
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster View Post
I got the script to work, and I am able to SSH to my Kindle DX. I can telnet, FTP, SSH and a lot of other things...
Is this right? Is it possible to FTP to the Kindle?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #94
ckanthonyhuz
ckanthonyhuz began at the beginning.

hi everyone, I have followed the whole thread.

1. installed the update.
2. edited the usbnetwork script.
3. issue the command on kindle. ignore the 'usbQa
4. plugged in the usb cable to my Macintosh
5. the Macintosh detected the port
6. turn on the internet sharing

now I can telnet to my Kindle,
I tried ssh to it but it said "bus error"
I can't use my Kindle to go Kindle Store, anything related to the internet is not functional. although I can go to the blank page, it seems to be loading things, but it never come up anything.
I tried ping some ip on the telnet. It come up 0% loss.

what can I do to make it better ?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #95
judib
judib began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi could you please help me and explain how you change the voice from male to female and also the speed, I've tried to push the Alt and aA at the same time and I can only view the start text or stop it. I have a Kindle 2
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #96
paulhand
paulhand began at the beginning.

Hi - thank you for all your help on this thread. Am I right in thinking that when I go back to the US I need to change the USE_WAN back to true?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #97
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by judib View Post
Hi could you please help me and explain how you change the voice from male to female and also the speed, I've tried to push the Alt and aA at the same time and I can only view the start text or stop it. I have a Kindle 2
How is this relevant to the topic of USB networking?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #98
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by imode View Post
Couple of additional items. Once you are able to get a root shell you need to edit:

/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf

Look for "USE_WAN" and set it to false.

Next type the following:

1. mntroot rw
2. vi /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.default
3. add the line: nameserver <your DNS IP>
I have a Kindle DX. I setup usbnetworking as outlined in this thread and then did the above. I can telnet to the Kindle, and from the Kindle, I can ping Google.

I'm in the US, but I have poor wireless coverage where I live. It works sometimes, but I often have zero or one bar for wireless. So I'd like to be able to sync with USB if it works consistently.

After setting this up, am I supposed to turn off wireless? If I do, and try to sync or access the store, Kindle asks if I want to turn on wireless. If I turn it on, I can access the Kindle store. I think it's working over USB because the store seems much faster.

Syncing has not worked. It fails with a message that it can't connect. I undid the USE_WAN changes and I can sync wireless again. Does this work for syncing in the US with a Kindle DX?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #99
Egorro
Egorro began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook + Kindle DX
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
As I understand, this is impossible at this moment , unless someone establish inet-whispernet proxy server.
As far as I understood - that is just a dream and all readers leaving outside of dreamland have to travel to US to activate their books?
Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #100
yazu
yazu began at the beginning.

Device: K1, Kindle DX
Hi all,
I have tried this, and it basically worked, but how can I return to the original usb drive mode? (without uninstalling this great patch)
Old 09-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #101
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu View Post
Hi all,
I have tried this, and it basically worked, but how can I return to the original usb drive mode? (without uninstalling this great patch)
Just reboot your device and if you have edited mario.conf or other file, unedit it.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #102
yazu

can I just temperately disable it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Just reboot your device and if you have edited mario.conf or other file, unedit it.
thanks, but the reboot will also reset my already corrected time back to 1970, I want to keep the correct time (until my next natural reboot, of course), can I just temperately disable it? (like the reverse of "usbNetwork" or ";debugOn" commend)
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #103
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks, but the reboot will also reset my already corrected time back to 1970, I want to keep the correct time (until my next natural reboot, of course), can I just temperately disable it? (like the reverse of "usbNetwork" or ";debugOn" commend)
I do not know how to unload and reload original usb driver, but for me a reboot does not resets the date. Just go to Settings from Content Lister and select Restart in the menu.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #104
yazu

problem resolved, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I do not know how to unload and reload original usb driver, but for me a reboot does not resets the date. Just go to Settings from Content Lister and select Restart in the menu.
OK, thanks, I resolved it because of your suggestion, I "restart kindle DX by going to settings menu", and it still keep the time, previously I held down the switch to reset, which will set the time to 1970, just let you know.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #105
rfog
Guru

Quote:
OK, thanks, I resolved it because of your suggestion, I "restart kindle DX by going to settings menu", and it still keep the time, previously I held down the switch to reset, which will set the time to 1970, just let you know.
If you do it via switch you aren't reseting it: you are full powering off and then powering on. Kindle electronics haven't a time backup battery or uses a timer chip with auto backup.
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network