Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Thanks for the report. I think I'm going to go with the Aura for a change of pace, though I expect I'd be more than happy with either reader.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

The big question though is just how big are the problems with the Aura and can I count on any problems being resolved so I will end up with a reliable device I can get years of service out of?
If you can't find a local dealer that sells Kobo and will do exchanges, than you probably want to skip Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #33
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you can't find a local dealer that sells Kobo and will do exchanges, than you probably want to skip Kobo.
I think that's sound advice for any product. I wouldn't shop anywhere that doesn't accept exchanges for their goods.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think that's sound advice for any product. I wouldn't shop anywhere that doesn't accept exchanges for their goods.
I don't think it is sound advice for any product, but it is very, very, very sound advice for Kobo. (If I do say so myself. )
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure why you would say that. If you look at the Kobo Aura satisfaction poll, it's currently running at a satisfaction level of 89%. Just because there is a very loud vocal minority doesn't mean that it is unreliable.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I'm not sure why you would say that. If you look at the Kobo Aura satisfaction poll, it's currently running at a satisfaction level of 89%. Just because there is a very loud vocal minority doesn't mean that it is unreliable.
Let's hope for you that this poll is not representative indeed, because in a six sigma world 89% of satisfied customers is NOT good. It is actually really bad. And if you are in those 10%, not being able to get a replacement easily nor rapidly is a killer argument for switching brand.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #37
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
What is a six sigma world? I'm assuming it's a statistics parameter of some sort.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
What is a six sigma world? I'm assuming it's a statistics parameter of some sort.
It's a process improvement business strategy that focuses on quality management:
Quote:
improving the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes..... A six sigma process is one in which 99.9999998% of the products manufactured are statistically expected to be free of defects

As you can imagine, it's extremely efficient.

I would like to stress out that I don't think our equation here is always a "Kobo or Kindle" one. It may be true in Canada, or in the US, but in Europe there is the alternative of Pocketbook, who has done its homework and has gone from having good concepts but bad process outputs to presenting now a range of very reliable products.

Sony is also still a player in Europe, and if you don't want or need a lighted device, the quality of their reader has never been questioned, which cannot be said of Kobo.

And in the US and in Canada, just because the choice is thinner (although I am sure you have other e-reader brands, I just can't think of one right now), does not mean one should accept a poor product quality, or/and a poor customer service.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you refering to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224983

The numbers is now down to 83% are satisified.

I don't doubt that, for many people, once they get a good unit, they are satisified. The problem is getting a good unit, and the hassels if you get a bad one.

I have a Touch, Glo, and Aura Hd. I'm satisified with them. I would not buy a kobo online from Kobo if you live in the U.S. YMMV.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #40
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thanks, Aceflor.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I suggest you get the kobo Aura. There is hardly any difference between this year's screen tech (Carta) and last year's (pearl).
I beg to differ: there is a 50% contrast improvement, which is very significant. The Pearl screen has a contrast ratio of 10:1, the Carta screen 15:1. Take a look at the spec sheets from eInk themselves:

Pearl: http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/pearl_spec_sheet.pdf
Carta: http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/carta_spec_sheet.pdf
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #42
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Let's hope for you that this poll is not representative indeed, because in a six sigma world 89% of satisfied customers is NOT good. It is actually really bad. And if you are in those 10%, not being able to get a replacement easily nor rapidly is a killer argument for switching brand.
I guess Amazon must be in trouble then because judging from the reviews on Amazon the Paperwhite has similar levels of satisfaction.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #43
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you refering to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224983

The numbers is now down to 83% are satisified.

I don't doubt that, for many people, once they get a good unit, they are satisified. The problem is getting a good unit, and the hassels if you get a bad one.

I have a Touch, Glo, and Aura Hd. I'm satisified with them. I would not buy a kobo online from Kobo if you live in the U.S. YMMV.
Fair enough, but I'm suggesting that you can't get a good idea of the actual rates just by browsing an ereader forum. Nobody makes an account on here to tell everyone how great their reader is. They make an account because they have a question or they have a problem with their ereader. I'm sure if you browsed a Toyota forum you'd get the impression that Toyotas are the most unreliable car out there. Judging from the Paperwhite first impressions thread I wouldn't buy a Paperwhite without an exchange guarantee either. Of course, I have gotten that impression because of about 5 or 6 people complaining very vocally and very often.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #44
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
I guess Amazon must be in trouble then because judging from the reviews on Amazon the Paperwhite has similar levels of satisfaction.
Source ?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer

After rereading the first post, I see the poster isn't from the U.S. My apologies for sidetracking the thread with my comments (which were meant to be specific to the U.S.).