Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Books read in large library

Looking for advice on how others keep track of the books they have read in a large library.

Do people remove them from Calibre or is there a way to mark them so you filter on unread books somehow.

Novice at this and my library is small but wife's is huge. We have set up separate libraries for each other.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I rate all the books I have read. When I'm looking for unread books, I sort the books by rating and look for the ones with none.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If you look at the post right next to yours about Custom columns you will see a lot of people using those to store whether they have read a book or not (as do I). Just create a Yes/No column. It is easy enough to then use that in searches and/or setup a saved search for a restriction on your library so that you will only see books that are marked as not read.

To set it up:
Preferences->Add your own columns
Click on the hyperlinked Yes/No at the top between "Modified Date" and "Tags".
Change the Lookup name to "read"
Change the Column heading to "Read"
The column type of Yes/No is what you are after.
Click Ok, restart calibre.

Now you can use the Yes/No dropdown to tick books you have read.

To search for books you have not read, in the search box you would type
#read:false (alternatively #read:no)

Save this as a saved search on the RHS by typing a name where it says "Saved Searches" and click the green +.

Then on the left hand side, you can click on the "Restrict to" dropdown to limit your view of the library to just your unread books. If you want that restriction every time you open that library, go to Preferences->Behaviour.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
I rate all the books I have read. When I'm looking for unread books, I sort the books by rating and look for the ones with none.
Does Calibre offer a quick way to rate books or do you have to bring up metadata and enter and save?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you look at the post right next to yours about Custom columns you will see a lot of people using those to store whether they have read a book or not (as do I). Just create a Yes/No column. It is easy enough to then use that in searches and/or setup a saved search for a restriction on your library so that you will only see books that are marked as not read.

To set it up:
Preferences->Add your own columns
Click on the hyperlinked Yes/No at the top between "Modified Date" and "Tags".
Change the Lookup name to "read"
Change the Column heading to "Read"
The column type of Yes/No is what you are after.
Click Ok, restart calibre.

Now you can use the Yes/No dropdown to tick books you have read.

To search for books you have not read, in the search box you would type
#read:false (alternatively #read:no)

Save this as a saved search on the RHS by typing a name where it says "Saved Searches" and click the green +.

Then on the left hand side, you can click on the "Restrict to" dropdown to limit your view of the library to just your unread books. If you want that restriction every time you open that library, go to Preferences->Behaviour.
Thanks for that came as I was answering the above post.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Does Calibre offer a quick way to rate books or do you have to bring up metadata and enter and save?
Just click/double click in the rating column in the library view and you can change the number by typing it or using the up/down., you don't have to use the edit metadata dialog.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I prefer to have an Unread column using star ratings. If it has no stars, I've read it. One star means I want to read it someday. Two stars is higher on my reading list. Three stars is my immediate reading list, such as a series I'm working on. Four stars is for the book I'm currently reading. I use the tag browser to select a list of a certain number of stars. A large advantage of stars is it is easy to see at a glance what the read status is.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote