Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Version 2.7 available now...

Please check out blog.marvinapp.com for more info and screenshots about this update. I'll also be posting some tutorials about the new features there. Enjoy it...

NEW:
  • German and British English localisations.
  • New star rating system. Rate a book from the metadata editor.
  • Added 6 new smart collections to filter by star rating. To show them, tap the pencil icon in the organiser.
  • Added bulk actions to rate sets of books.
  • Imports and displays ratings added to books using calibre (applies to newly imported books).
  • Shows rating in library list views.
  • You can delete bookmarks and highlights from the table of contents screen.
  • You can edit the note of a highlight from the table of contents screen.
  • Bookmarks can be annotated from the table of contents screen.
  • Long pressing a book in library list view shows the metadata editor.
  • [iPad] Send main book by email from home screen.
  • Long press a book in the home screen to delete, share, annotate and mark it as unopened.
  • Keywords in the library search bar.
  • Added the ability to attach a note to a book (long press home screen, menu in Added Iowan font (requires iOS 7).

ENHANCEMENTS:
  • Streamlined installation - download size for new users is about 11 MB smaller.
  • [iPhone] Tweaked home screen animation when switching to secondary book panel (the one that shows percentage progress).
  • Tapping the highlight/note menu button within an existing highlight brings up the editor rather than creating multiple highlights on top of each other.
  • Includes the book description when sharing it by email (if available).
  • Updated calibre connector to support rating metadata syncing and bulk locking of books using the Marvin XD calibre plugin.
  • [iPad] Alpha picker is sticky.
  • In-book toolbar icons match text colour.
  • Several UI improvements.

FIXED:
  • [iPad] Last separator of some iOS 7 popups wasn’t showing.
  • Some items in the book actions menu were being incorrectly disabled.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks again, kris. I really appreciate that Marvin updates itself automatically; when I went to upgrade it was already at 2.7.

A vaguely related question: Is there a way I can find out directly from Marvin what version it is?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks again, kris. I really appreciate that Marvin updates itself automatically; when I went to upgrade it was already at 2.7.

A vaguely related question: Is there a way I can find out directly from Marvin what version it is?
From Marvin's Home screen, touch the gear icon in the top left corner, then touch 'About Marvin'.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Terrific update on Marvin. It just gets better with each revision.
I was wondering Is there any update on the status of whether or not Marvin is going to show a total pages in a book. I know it's been discussed before and there are many people that are interested.
Thanks again for your hard work on this great app.
David
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
From Marvin's Home screen, touch the gear icon in the top left corner, then touch 'About Marvin'.

G
Thanks so much. Dead easy when you know how, or read the manual.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@moosejons_dad - glad you're enjoying the new update! Total pages is still on my to do list. For now, I don't have a timeline yet - at the moment I'm focusing on localising Marvin into other languages and vertical scrolling.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #7
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
And after vertical scrolling maybe auto scrolling?
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
And after vertical scrolling maybe auto scrolling?
I would love to see an auto-scroll feature. That's what I miss the most from my days of e-reading on a Palm PDA. I don't remember which ereader app I used to use, but it had a feature to start it scrolling and adjust the speed using the volume buttons (maybe it was the up/down buttons on the front? It's been a long time) if it was getting ahead or behind where you were. I could read significantly faster with this feature as it helped me pace myself.

It took me a while to get accustomed to the "page" based approach of Kindles and other e-ink readers (even though it's closer to paper) and I still miss auto scroll many years later.

BTW, Kris... I'd been following your development of Marvin for a long time. Downloaded the iPad version when you first released it and opened it periodically just to play with it. I occasionally use it to read short form stuff when I'm stuck somewhere without my Kindle, but even though I don't use it much I want to thank you immensely for this app. My 12 year old son had forgotten his Kindle and needed to start a new book, so I got the iPod (iPhone) version of Marvin for him and he loves it. He reads quite a bit more now than he did before! While I personally prefer eInk he's just fine w/ LCD and since he always carries it he always has it with him and can pull it out to read at any time! It really is a beautiful app and if I were an LCD reader I'm sure it would be my #1 choice!

Last edited by twowheels; 03-12-2014 at 03:19 AM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would love to see an auto-scroll feature. That's what I miss the most from my days of e-reading on a Palm PDA. I don't remember which ereader app I used to use, but it had a feature to start it scrolling and adjust the speed using the volume buttons (maybe it was the up/down buttons on the front? It's been a long time) if it was getting ahead or behind where you were. I could read significantly faster with this feature as it helped me pace myself.

It took me a while to get accustomed to the "page" based approach of Kindles and other e-ink readers (even though it's closer to paper) and I still miss auto scroll many years later.

You've just told my story. I was a PalmOS user since 1999. My ereader of choice was eReader. Prior to that it it was called Peanut Press. Auto scroll is the one thing I truly miss from my Palm days. I still can't believe ereading apps don't have that feature today. eReader could do it in 1999. I used to lay in bed and never had to touch my PDA. It was great because I have brittle bones so sometimes I would have a broken arm, sometimes both arms at the same time, and it was nice to still be able to read without having to hold my device. With Marvin at least there's the option to switch the page forward tap to the left side of the screen if my right arm is broken. I really appreciate that, Kris!
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote