Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #106
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a PRS350, too, but I honestly wouldn't want to use it these days. The modern devices are so much better.
Modern devices are definitely "better" in processing speed, integration, and are generally even easier to use... but... as previous posts have said, they just aren't as satisfying on a "tactile" level. The PRS-650 and 350 are sturdy feeling. I actually returned a T1 because I still preferred the PRS-650 build quality.

But, it is of course a matter of personal choice. Some of us are all about the technology inside, and others are more fussed about the form factor/case build quality.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #107
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Modern devices are definitely "better" in processing speed, integration, and are generally even easier to use... but... as previous posts have said, they just aren't as satisfying on a "tactile" level.
For me, it's a case of less popular features which are nevertheless important to me. Specifically, the ability to download directly from Overdrive, and having physical page turn buttons. I'm considering getting a refurbished T2 in the current Tiger deal as a backup, or asking my Canadian relatives to forward me a T3.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm still using my 650. It's still going strong. The light case works well for reading in bed at night.

Though, I am thinking of getting a Kobo Aura HD because I like the idea of the larger screen and the frontlight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #109
tegelad
tegelad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo elipse2e, sage, libra2, forma amazon oasis3, scribe, boox ult c
After I broke the light case for the PRS-950 (the sony one), and after the page sync's stopped working between the sony reader android and the PRS-950, I ended up biting the bullet and moved to the Kobo Aura HD. It is a very nice device and the light with case is pretty awesome.

+-ADT
tegelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegelad View Post
After I broke the light case for the PRS-950 (the sony one), and after the page sync's stopped working between the sony reader android and the PRS-950, I ended up biting the bullet and moved to the Kobo Aura HD. It is a very nice device and the light with case is pretty awesome.

+-ADT
The Kobo Aura HD doesn't have a light case. The light is built on as a front light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #111
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
My fave is the 350, but I've been thru 2 already, both with fatal screen issues. Last one was particularly surprising, as I was reading it in the park, walked home without incident, and the screen was fried when I turned it back on at home. So, for me the 350 is too fragile and I went back to my 300.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The screen was "fried"? How did you diagnose that a power surge had caused the problem? The overwhelming majority of screen issues are caused by a simple mechanical breakage of the glass substrate of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #113
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quite ..... never heard of one spontaneously combusting itself ! (Although possibly manufacturers have a files reader's returns that have allegedly done so......).
Sounds more like something caused the substrata to fracture - which, on any reader, can happen even when in case or pocket if stress is caused in a particular position/angle/manner.
Mind you, mine don't have a particularly easy life, especially the 350 and T3, and are still going strong - just lucky, p'raps....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Quite ..... never heard of one spontaneously combusting itself ! (Although possibly manufacturers have a files reader's returns that have allegedly done so......).
Sounds more like something caused the substrata to fracture - which, on any reader, can happen even when in case or pocket if stress is caused in a particular position/angle/manner.
Mind you, mine don't have a particularly easy life, especially the 350 and T3, and are still going strong - just lucky, p'raps....
The most important thing is to use a decent case. Never, ever, use an eInk reader "naked" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #115
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
The most important thing is to use a decent case. Never, ever, use an eInk reader "naked" .

I've never had a problem using my e-ink devices when naked. Of course I have a cover on the devices though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #116
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I agree. Ever since I dropped my NST and nicked up the side but, fortunately, did no serious damage, I've always considered getting a good case part of buying the eReader. But I can see why some folks (probably more careful than me) would like to bypass the bulk of using the case.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #117
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
I also

have a case, in fact, have 3 different colors for my T1. Bought one right after purchasing the T1 almost 4 years ago. The "bulk" doesn't bother me at all. Really, when taking it out of the case to clean, it feels funny and insecure. Never have dropped mine, but you never know.
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #118
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For anyone who might want a backup Sony T2, that deal at TigerDirect got better. Factory Refurbished (with full one year warranty) for $29.97 (plus tax and shipping).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #119
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For anyone who might want a backup Sony T2, that deal at TigerDirect got better. Factory Refurbished (with full one year warranty) for $29.97 (plus tax and shipping).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847
for that price, it may be worth getting even if you have plenty of readers on hand. i was thinking that it might be used for taking hand-written notes. how are its capabilities on that front?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #120
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
for that price, it may be worth getting even if you have plenty of readers on hand. i was thinking that it might be used for taking hand-written notes. how are its capabilities on that front?
I'm sorry to say, I've tested it, but I've never really used it. It seems to work fine, but I'm not a good source for this -- as I've tried it only two or three times.