Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Paperwhite light not turning off

A few days ago my KPW went to sleep mode by itself because I got distracted while reading and left it on. I returned to find the sleep mode image displayed, but the light still illuminated. I thought it was a bug, so I sent an e-mail to Amazon this morning reporting an issue with the firmware. This morning I noticed that the light isn't going off even when I close the cover [if I peek through the gap at the top I can see the LEDs illuminated] or press the power button. It stays illuminated for quite some time, whereas before I was fairly sure that it was turning off immediately.

Has anybody else experienced this behavior?

BTW, just tried a full reboot while typing this message and now it's acting as I'd expect.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a chat with Amazon support reporting the issue:

Quote:
Was your paperwhite purchased from us or from a retail store[?]
So... does that mean that they are available in stores? :-)
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have had similar behavior with my cover happen once in awhile, but not when I press the power button. If I press down on the cover a little it will then go off. Most times it behaves as expected though.

A bit odd about their question on whether you bought it from them or a retail store. For the record, I still don't think they're in stores. At least not in any near me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The one I have in a case shuts off the light right after I close the case. What did they advise you should do?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
stevene9
stevene9 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Paperwhite light not turning off

I don't believe you can open the cover even the tiniest amount without turning on the light. It's not possible to test it that way.
stevene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
No need to open it, it has a slight bend to it and I can see the screen through the cracks.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
twowheels: you are not alone. I had to bug happen to me last week as well. The light remained on when pressing the sleep button or closing the lid. I had the Kindle mounted to my PC via USB, did you as well? I'm just happy I caught the problem before I woken to a dead kindle.

A restart fixed it.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bend in case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
No need to open it, it has a slight bend to it and I can see the screen through the cracks.
I purchased the case on the same Amazon page as the Paperwhite. My case has no bend and one cannot see through the case if it is closed.

If it has a bend, it may be defective. Maybe defective cases do NOT shut the light properly.

My PW case transmits the latest page read to my Kindle Fire 1st Gen as soon as the case is closed. It has a magnetic clasp on the cover. If you don't have the immediate transmission, then that's another sign of a problem.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
This happened to me for the first time today. Usually when I open the cover, I see the light turn on a split second later, but this morning I noticed it was already on. I put it into sleep mode, but the light remained on. It was only after a reboot that the light behaved normally. I hope this isn't a frequent occurrence.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevene9 View Post
I don't believe you can open the cover even the tiniest amount without turning on the light. It's not possible to test it that way.
No opening necessary. In fact, I was lightly squeezing it closed. Just put your eye up to the tiny gap and look down between the device and cover flap from the top. It's also apparent from the fact that it was already on when opened and the fact that it didn't go off using the power button and it stayed on when the device went to sleep mode due to inactivity.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
twowheels
Wizard

Sirmaru, you seem quite intent to prove the paperwhite to be without flaw! I love mine, but there are a few issues. Perhaps you can also explain what I did wrong to cause the two sudden reboots I experienced while reading last night.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Perhaps you can also explain what I did wrong to cause the two sudden reboots I experienced while reading last night.
Could be a bad file, or just a software glitch. All of my Kindles have spontaneously rebooted at one time or another. My PW did one last night as well.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Could be a bad file, or just a software glitch. All of my Kindles have spontaneously rebooted at one time or another. My PW did one last night as well.
Agreed, and I'm quite certain that it's a software issue that will eventually be addressed. I was just ribbing sirmaru for his valiant efforts to defend the Paperwhite from all enemies domestic and foreign! [ooop, there I go again!]
Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Real issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Sirmaru, you seem quite intent to prove the paperwhite to be without flaw! I love mine, but there are a few issues. Perhaps you can also explain what I did wrong to cause the two sudden reboots I experienced while reading last night.
I had spontaneous reboots on my Kindle Keyboard WiFi 3 for the first 3 months. I recieved one replacement which had the same problem. Eventually, it turned out to be the 2 metal hooks on the unlighted cover which Amazon accepted for a full refund 3 months later.

If that continues, definitely send the PW back for a replacement and / or refund.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
twowheels
Wizard

Just got a call from Amazon, they asked for permission to grab my log files remotely. I connected it to WiFi, and they grabbed the logs... so hopefully they'll figure this one out. I also mentioned the spontaneous reboots and suggested that they might want to look for those in the log too.