Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #46
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
In order of desire

1) Support for LInux
2) Categorize collections
3) Landscape mode
4) AC charger, accessory

Ok, the last one isn't firmware, but I still want it
What is the problem with Linux?

I am using the Kobo Touch on Ubuntu without any problem. The only minor issue was that the Kobo software is only available in 32bit but it works fine on 64bit after installing the i386 compatibility libs. Anyways the Kobo software is only needed to setup the device once. After that, can be fully managed via Wifi (including firmware updates) or using tools such as Calibre
stef70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #47
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
It is possible to put the wake function onto the home button when the Kobo is asleep? I have the official cover, and the sliding switch is so tedious to pick at.
I agree the home button should work as wake up..
As to kobos cover design team... What were you guys thinking?

Oh TP I leave the upper right eleastic off. Although I am a littel fearfull that it might allow the touch to slide out if its tossed or jared.

reagards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #48
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
I was able to pick up a USB wall charger for $7 at Canada Computers.
Thats preety decent price. how many ports does it have?
regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #49
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithradyr View Post
It might be nice to include the time in more locations than the date and time settings. Perhaps at the top right of the home screen, library etc. and also at the top right of the in-book menu (the menu used for changing fonts, skipping chapters, etc.). A check box could be placed in the date and time settings to toggle the feature for those who don't want it. Just an idea
I wonder if there could be a stat screen for off or standby that lists the number of books read todate?

just a thought

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #50
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think there might be a problem with displaying rapdily changing info such as the time due to the nature of eInk.
I did see on Tv an eink dispaly that was doing 8fps.. so it is possible not sure if the kobo is of the same generation as the one on tv. And I think the power consumption would drive the battery life down. Also heard Addler i think going on about the paper cell phone... again eink displays.

REgards

jack
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #51
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Thats preety decent price. how many ports does it have?
Just one port, but it seems to be down to $3.88 now if you can find one: http://canadacomputers.com/product_i...item_id=027055

Alternatively, they have a 4-USB powerbar for $10:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_i...item_id=032197
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #52
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef70 View Post
What is the problem with Linux?

I am using the Kobo Touch on Ubuntu without any problem. The only minor issue was that the Kobo software is only available in 32bit but it works fine on 64bit after installing the i386 compatibility libs. Anyways the Kobo software is only needed to setup the device once. After that, can be fully managed via Wifi (including firmware updates) or using tools such as Calibre
I'm not sure how you were able to download the Kobo software on Unbuntu. When I tried to install the desktop application I only found downloads available for PC or Mac users.

Calibre is a great tool but does not handle DRM to my knowledge and Adobe Digital Editions is also not available on Linux at this time.

I did set up Kobo using a Mac and I have no problems with the Wifi. My concern or better put, my desire is to manage my book collection from my laptop using Linux where I spend 98% of my on-line time.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #53
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips on the AC USB adapters! I crossed that one off the list - problem solved
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #54
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I'm not sure how you were able to download the Kobo software on Unbuntu. When I tried to install the desktop application I only found downloads available for PC or Mac users.
Check this thread out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82378

Do go through the whole thread Lots of info (and additional downloads near the end of it).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #55
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Calibre is a great tool but does not handle DRM to my knowledge and Adobe Digital Editions is also not available on Linux at this time.
Also look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133946 for discussions on WINE and ADE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #56
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Check this thread out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82378

Do go through the whole thread Lots of info (and additional downloads near the end of it).
The proper link is given in post #201

What is really missing at Kobo is an official website providing all those information (Linux support, firmware upgrades, ...). If it already exists then it is well hidden :-)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #57
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef70 View Post
The proper link is given in post #201

What is really missing at Kobo is an official website providing all those information (Linux support, firmware upgrades, ...). If it already exists then it is well hidden :-)
Ok, I tried a quick install (Linux Mint 11) using the link on post #201. The icon shows on my application menu but nothing happens when I click on it.

I tried opening it from the terminal to check for an error message but bash just barks back with with "bash does not recognize command kobo" when entering kobo or kobo-desktop in order to launch it. However, I am guilty of not reviewing the entire thread so I will read through it and see if anybody had a similar problem they were able to resolve.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #58
defyboy
defyboy began at the beginning.

Device: troy.gerrie@gmail.com
PDF Support

Received my KT today, have set it up and all is working great, very happy with the device.

I am a computer technician, I keep an ebook reader in my toolkit to store service manuals for various components I service, I also use it for all of my training. I currently own a Kindle 3, Kobo original and now a Kobo touch.

I am very happy with the PDF capabilities of this reader (being the primary reason I brought it, Kobo original was poor, and Kindle was not much better), the zoom function and response is fantastic, I am really glad that they have put the effort into PDF functionality and am more than happy with this.

I do have a suggestion however, Most PDF's have whitespace around the outside, I find them that much more readable when I can zoom in a small amount, however when doing this, I loose the ability to change pages easily, I need to zoom out, change the page, zoom in then reseat the view.

It would be fantastic if I could change pages by tapping, whilst zoomed, and for the next/previous page to retain the zoom and position settings.
defyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #59
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Pulled this of of another post -- My firmware / SW wishes

0) custom CSS for getting that just right appearance from sideloaded books. Also 1) libraries or some organizational help 2) Series numbers on books 3) Covers or mini titles displayed for books without them so you'll have an idea 4) Web access using PC access to the store align with with desktop apps & Touch store 5) Mobi access that really works & starts up quickly! - Same for other common formats (I'm selfish here as ePUB is great & Calibre etc. do an adequate conversion) - 6) And I guess for the store a few more access controls to whittle down a more general query to a more specific one. 7) SD cards - I've not had the best of luck here -- I guess a good thing might be able to have a simple content list & ability to move to main memory for files.

I've had a few issues with the IR (fat fingers mostly) - But found for me a swipe is better than a touch & keypad work works best with a flat tipped pencil eraser. There also appears to possibly have a non-quick wake-up or something going on as swipes or touches do not process & followed with a repeat life is good (to me seems more often associated with an upcoming screen reflash than other times). All this said I find the Koobo team amazing & responsive. And I'm on my touch nearly constantly (Wife's out of town ) Best father's day gift from me to me ever!!

Byron
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #60
stef70

Quote:
Ok, I tried a quick install (Linux Mint 11) using the link on post #201. The icon shows on my application menu but nothing happens when I click on it.

I tried opening it from the terminal to check for an error message but bash just barks back with with "bash does not recognize command kobo" when entering kobo or kobo-desktop in order to launch it. However, I am guilty of not reviewing the entire thread so I will read through it and see if anybody had a similar problem they were able to resolve.
I cannot check right now but I believe that the application is called Kobo (with an uppercase K).