Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Kobo Touch future firmware feature request thread

Hi there,

I saw there already is a thread like this in the sticky list up there, but it seems it originally was for the two older generations of ereaders. I thought it'd be a good idea to open a Touch-specific thread, because the requests regarding the Touch have been spread all around different threads, which doesn't help our Kobo guys SameerH, george.talusan, MDK and JCKobo who are trying to address our concerns. Maybe this thread could be made sticky, too.

I don't own a Kobo Touch yet, but it has been ordered and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

I saw this 23 minutes side-by-side comparison video of the Kobo Touch and Barnes and Noble Simple Touch. At 10:35 I saw something I already know I'd like to have on my Touch:

Control over...
  • ... line spacing
  • ... margins
  • ... letter spacing
  • ... word spacing
  • ... paragraph spacing
  • ... paragraph indent
I think some carefully chosen presets like the ones on the Nook would be great, I personally would not want to be able to tweak every little detail independently. I liked one of the Nook presets, where it looked like a "densely printed paperback"... I think the standard Kobo Touch layout is too sparsely "printed".

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 06-21-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
- What I think is missing are collections, so you can sort by series etc. A workaround is done with calibre with the metadata plugboard, by having the title renamed to show the series name and number. But again this will not work with books from kobo or ADE books.

- Also fixing the bug here. (It is basically that the more books you have the longer it takes to go back to the Home screen. This driving me Mad)
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Support for in-text search with all supported content if possible.
I wonder how much battery power such a feature drains.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I have another one. Better zoom support for cbz & cbr files (like the pdf) or at least a landscape mode. Because like this, it is worthless, since most text are too small to read.

Last edited by Nigol; 06-21-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
myet01
myet01 began at the beginning.

I owned a Nook Touch for three days and took it back because it doesn't handle PDFs as good as the Kobo Touch. I would like:

1 - The ability to organize my books, pdfs, etc... into folders or directories and then retrieve them that way using something like a file system explorer. The Nook touch allows you to do it that way.
2 - The ability to "Search" for a word or phrase inside a book or PDF would be nice. The Nook Touch allows you to search within a book but not a PDF.
3 - The ability to look up a word in the dictionary from any book type. Heck I would like the ability to launch the dictionary as a separate app and look up words not even in a book, just type them in and get the definition.

Tony
myet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
One thing that works very well on my wifes SONY PRS505 is text reflow for PDF books. It would be nice if KOBO Touch could do as good of a job for this.

My Touch is supposed to arrive today!
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
myet01
myet01 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post
One thing that works very well on my wifes SONY PRS505 is text reflow for PDF books. It would be nice if KOBO Touch could do as good of a job for this.

My Touch is supposed to arrive today!
But if the PDF has pictures in it does the Sony allow you to magnify them? The Nook Touch I had did an excellent of re-flowing PDFs but if there was a table or a picture in them it really didn't handle them very well. It took apart text in the table and re-flowed it but then you couldn't tell what was going on because it wasn't in a table anymore. If it had pictures in the PDF the re-flowed document would keep them but you couldn't magnify them so they were virtually useless because they were so small you couldn't read them.

Tony
myet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I'm finding that the features in the 1.9.4 firmware are very-nearly perfect (for me). For the most part they've just got to migrate those kepub-only features to also work with all epub documents. Specifically: dictionary, external fonts, etc.

Also I'd like the same controls available in PDFs to be available for other the other image documents types, like cbr, cbz, jpeg, etc. Zoom, rotate, and pan!

There are a few other niggling details I've noticed that I'd call "bugs" that need fixing: Need a ENTER/RETURN key on the keyboard for the web browser. Need better wifi setup including the ability to use non-DHCP access points.

If they fix that much, then anything else they give us is gravy. But as gravy is just soooo delicious here are a few suggestions. ;-)

- Landscape mode
- Ability to pick which screen sections turn pages: lefty mode where left side is "next", or even where the bottom of the screen is next
- Pretty much everything said back in post #1 would be good
- PDF reflow
- Download documents directly via the web browser
- Navigable directory tree for easier book selection
- Better progress bars when scanning for new documents and/or faster scanning
- How about Kindle-style downloadable apps? (This one of course would require them to give out a better source tree so that us developers can actually compile our own Qt support libraries) The Sudoku Easter egg is just a start!
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
The ability to read epubs in landscape mode, there has to be a way to do that
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
DizzC
Enthusiast
DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.

1. Pan, zoom and rotate option for cbz/cbr files. This is the one feature I would like above all others since without it at least 30% of the text is unreadable.

2. Dictionary/Highlight/Font addition for side loaded books.

3. Quicker transition to home screen. As of now it takes way to long.
DizzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzC View Post
3. Quicker transition to home screen. As of now it takes way to long.
do you have 1.9.4? because with 1.9.4 it takes as fast as the 6th page refresh "flash"
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
DizzC
Enthusiast
DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
do you have 1.9.4? because with 1.9.4 it takes as fast as the 6th page refresh "flash"
I do indeed have 1.9.4. It is faster than before but it still takes around >5 seconds to get to the home screen after I press the button. Obviously it's not a big deal but It just makes the device seem a little sluggish.
DizzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
gpw11
gpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enoughgpw11 will become famous soon enough

For myself (all of which are features that had never occurred to me before buying the Touch but are probably something I'd mention to people asking for a recommendation):

1.) Highlight/notes/dictionary in sideloaded Epubs. This is my first ereader, but I have a fairly large selection of instructional or academic epubs from over the years (read on PC). I'd love to finally be able to make use of them, but it's not really the same when I can't highlight the important parts or make notes like with kepubs. As for the dictionary...something I never thought I'd use but I do all the time with my kepubs.

2.) Search

3.) Margins and line spacing options. Which I just read are on the way. Great.
gpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
I'd like a Home icon on the screens -- Button ok but screen pick is easier and seems more intuitive.
On side loaded books Calibre etc. seem to pre-set the format nicely - I set my margins to 0 and no intra paragraph line. The intra line spacing seems about right by default.
It would be nice if we could set up our own categories for our books & support some type of manipulation to get the books in these categories. Even if only supported side loaded books this would be fine.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

I have a few requests:
(a) Provide a way to set my own background images for sleep and turned-off modes.
(b) Display the owner's name and other information such as phone number in the main menu
or while in sleep or turned-off mode
(c) The current sudoku game is lost when returning to the main menu. Please save its state.
(d) In soduko, it is very easy to fill a square by mistake. I propose to automatically deselect the current number (in the bottom left area) after filing a square.

It should be noted that (b) could be solved by (a) with an image showing the user coordinates.
stef70 is offline   Reply With Quote