Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How many books do you read per year?
less than 8 3 3.16%
8-12 5 5.26%
13-15 2 2.11%
16-20 6 6.32%
21-25 10 10.53%
26-30 5 5.26%
31-35 2 2.11%
36-40 7 7.37%
41-45 1 1.05%
46-50 7 7.37%
more than 50 (please explain how many pages those "books" have) 35 36.84%
I don’t read at all, I’m too busy posting on MR 1 1.05%
I honestly don't know 7 7.37%
Portugal, Germany, Spain & Canada 2 2.11%
chocolate 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
How many books do you read per year?

Right now I’m reading a study on reading habits in german-speaking countries such as Switzerland, Austria, Germany. It says: around 75% read less than 8 books a year. Below are the results of the study including other European countries (it's in German, I apologize, it shows the percentage of people who read 8 or more books per year).

So how many books do you read per year (not including the books you have to read for work or studying)?

Wait for the poll…..

PS: And no, I didn't manipulate the results for Portugal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grafik.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	30557  

Last edited by ravenne; 06-10-2009 at 10:34 AM.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
well, life pre reader... about 7 (school had to do with it too).
life post reader... 5 so far and its been 4 months....
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The blue one, next to the fish over there. Yes, that's the one, bring it over here to me. No, not both of them, just the blue one. Careful, don't drop it! Do I have to do everything around here?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i really wanted to vote for PORTUGAL but lucky you, i started last year keeping a list of the books i read so now i can answer (before, my answer would have been "i really have no idea"). it turns out, in 2008, i read 57 books, however of those, about 5 were started but not finished in 2008 (i sometimes read more than one at a time, and if a book is not the right one for my mood i will leave it for later).

this year, so far i've read 18 books, however one of them was Monsieur Lecoq by Emile Gaboriau ; almost 800 pages long, so it should count for at least 3 ! it took me nearly a month. but normally it seems i average about one book per week.

to be honest, i was surprised ; i would not have thought i read so many books, but i suppose i should have known, since when i used to get them at the library, i would usually take 5 at a time (the maximum) and at the end of the 3 week loan period, usually have to renew 2 of those...

and no, these are not 10 pages long books, since you asked. (but most of them are not 800 pages either !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(oh, and so far this year, i've started but not finished yet another 5-10 books (not sure exactly because i see i didn't write all of them down yet), which hopefully i will read completely before the end of the year... )
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Where is the options for

I USED to read a LOT of books per year................until I started coming HERE~

Now...........well, if you count the "pages" of MR I read, it could well be over 50.......BIG honkers!

Love you, Ravenne!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Is this before or after I joined MobileRead?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I read lots - several books a week. I usually get between 4-6 books out of the library each time I go, which is once every 3 weeks (minimum). I will read all of these in the 3 weeks plus probably at least 3 ebooks at the moment and 1-2 other pbacks. These are novels with at least 200 pages. In the last 3 weeks I've read 8 books with on average 350 pages each plus ebooks - two lrf with 880 pages and around 350 pages on the smallest print setting, and 3 epubs with 280, 410 and 510 pages.

This is more than usual, as I've been ill and also not sleeping well, so I would say in an average 3 weeks I'd read around 70% of this. (I do read quite fast.)
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Joined MR at about the same time as I got my reader, so extra reading due to the reader was cancelled out by spending time here ...
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Where is the options for

I USED to read a LOT of books per year................until I started coming HERE~

Now...........well, if you count the "pages" of MR I read, it could well be over 50.......BIG honkers!

Love you, Ravenne!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Is this before or after I joined MobileRead?

WDE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Joined MR at about the same time as I got my reader, so extra reading due to the reader was cancelled out by spending time here ...
Oh well, I guess we all have the same problem here But it's so much fun, isn't it. And reading on MR is reading too, actually. A little bit. Probably.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

that is a good point. i could probably read 100 books per year if i didn't spend so much time here.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hmmm....looks like I read 77 books in 2008 and I've already read 47 books this year. These are all full-length novels, so I guess 200-800 pages each.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
hmmmm I guess I could go to amazon and count my purchases, but certainly more than 20 and less than 100? there are times I read several a week and times it takes several weeks to read one. and the majority are average length novels.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
i envy all of you 50+ readers! if i read at that rate, i could do the "1001 books to read before you die" list in 20 years!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Last year I read 40 or so books. I am way ahead of schedule this year as it's just about half way over and I have read 37 so far.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote