Robert Parker (no thanks)
James Lee Burke (love)
Stuart Woods (no thanks)
Kellerman (no thanks)
Tony Hillerman (love)
Craig Johnson (da best)
Lawrence Block
Elmore Leonard

I've dabbled with some of the others mentioned. I'm looking for another grand slam author like Craig Johnson, Michael Connelly, John Sanford, James Lee Burke, Tony Hillerman.

I have other interests, too: historical fiction, tongue-in-cheek detective, hard boiled, fiction but tend to prefer American male authors: T. Coraghessan Boyle, John Irvine, Stephen Dobyns, Charles Frazier. That said, I love some of Bryce Courtenay's work: The Power of One, Tandia, The Persimmon Tree. Several other slip my mind at the moment.
tomyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Are there any difference between mystery/detective and thrillers?

I am asking because I heard that Lee child and C. J. Box write more thrillers rather than proper mysteries.

The Jack Reacher novels are mix of what I would call "men's adventure," "thriller" and "detective" genres.

Reacher was a military police investigator, and in many of the stories, his investigative abilities are heavily relied on to figure out who's doing what to whom and why.

Others focus more on his ability to put a serious hurt on bad guys.

Let me also mention, as I just finished it last week, Robert Galbraith's (aka JKR) Cuckoo's Calling, is a really enjoyable straight up private eye mystery.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I seem to prefer the Scandinavian crime writers but as well as the already mentioned Lee Child, what about James Patterson (Alex Cross & Womens Murder Club)?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I prefer the so-called "golden age" of British detective fiction: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, etc. I also enjoy the more modern British crime writers such as Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've read and enjoyed (pretty well loved) books by all the authors mentioned, and many of my favorite authors have been mentioned already.

I can't get enough of Robert K. Tanenbaum's legal procedurals. Great characters and lots of them, widely varied and interesting plots, lots of action and interaction. For me totally immersive and fun at the same time.

I am kind of off Robicheaux for the time being as I found Dave got a bit too gloomy and introspective as time went on. A similar character although less introspective is Tres Navarre series by Rick Riordan. If you like James lee Burke you will probably like these as well.

I love British mysteries as well, both old and new. Great character depth to Dorothy Sayers and Allingham, definitely not thrillers but have their moments. Martha Grimes write a great British mystery IMO in spite of being an American woman. And have recently discovered Bryant and May by Christopher Fowler. Two octogenarian detectives fighting current crimes and solving cold cases that they didn't resolve in the distant past while the world keeps hoping they will retire.

Asian detective stories fascinate me as well, I may be in love with Dr. Siri Paiboun by Colin Cotterill another British author. Chief Inspector Chen Cao series by Qiu Xiaolong is calm and non thrilling, but you feel you are experiencing a fairly realistic depiction of another culture. Very enjoyable.

Garrett Pi rocks as does Simon R. Green in the fantasy detective line.

I guess there isn't a mystery I won't read, but Robert B. Parker and Rex Stout may be my top 2. I am so invested in these guys that I will read the sequels written by others after their deaths.

I would also like to Mention

Harlan Coben - Bolitar series
Elmore Leonard - Pretty well anything even his westerns
James Grippando Jack Swytek
William Lashner - Victor Carl
Dennis Lehane - Kenzie and Gennaro
John Lescroart - Dismas Hardy
Walter Mosley - Various series
Richard Stevenson - Donald Strachey
Duane Swierczynski - Charlie Hardie
Andrew Vachss - Burke
Randy Wayne White - Doc Ford
Thomas Perry - Jane Whitefield
Don Winslow - Neal Carey

I've read more than one book by all of the above and my aim is to read them all.

Then there is the Destroyer Series by Warren Murphy & Richard Sapir. Not sure what these are but Stitchawl would know as his was the recommendation that got me started on them.

Too many books, too little time

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
My favourite American crime authors are: Sara Paretsky, Carol O'Connel, Denis Lehane, Rex Stout, Donal E. Westlake and Craig Rice.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd add James Ellroy. His L.A. quartet, starting with the Black Dahlia, is an amazing set of dark twisted detective noir.

And a +1 to Michael Connelly's Bosch series. His sense of location in LA, especially in the early novels, was great.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
There are some great suggestions here! I thought it might be a good time to start a new MobileRead listopia - a MobileRead Recommended Mystery & Detective list. Please consider voting for your favourites. You do need a Goodreads account to vote, but you can edit your votes at any time as you read new books.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #24
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer the so-called "golden age" of British detective fiction: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, etc. I also enjoy the more modern British crime writers such as Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, etc.
If you like Ian Rankin's Rebus novels, then I'd suggest you try Stuart MacBride. His Logan McRae series are very well written, *very* dark and gritty police novels set in Aberdeen.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
If you like Ian Rankin's Rebus novels, then I'd suggest you try Stuart MacBride. His Logan McRae series are very well written, *very* dark and gritty police novels set in Aberdeen.

/JB
Thanks for the recommendation - I haven't come across him, and I'll certainly take a look. There are so many excellent British crime authors around at the moment - we're very lucky.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Sound interesting so I just bought the first books. Book number one and two is available for $0.99 at amazon.com.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I am currently working my way thr' Craig Johnson books - I am trying not to read them too quickly as I am really enjoying them and feel almost bereft when I have finished one. I tried watching the Longmire TV series but it wasn't a patch on the books.

Steven Havill and William Kent Krueger are also excellent
Mort1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #28
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...Detective stories can be thrillers, but most thrillers are not detective stories (and equally, most detective stories are not thrillers)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The Jack Reacher novels are mix of what I would call "men's adventure," "thriller" and "detective" genres.

Reacher was a military police investigator, and in many of the stories, his investigative abilities are heavily relied on to figure out who's doing what to whom and why...
ApK
Thank you, I guess I will stick to detective genre, then. What about C. J. Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyoung View Post
Lee Child (no thanks)
Robert Parker (no thanks)
Stuart Woods (no thanks)
Kellerman (no thanks)
Craig Johnson (da best)
Care to explain your reasons? That might help us potential readers decide better. Parker and Kellerman are on my to read list and I never heard about Craig Johnson.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Thank you, I guess I will stick to detective genre, then. What about C. J. Box?
C.J. Box's main series features Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett. Obviously not a detective per se, but he is in law enforcement and always gets involved in murders, etc. The books are very well done and Pickett is a fascinating character. The vivid depictions of western scenery, Wild West type characters, and consistently solid writing make this an enjoyable series, one I keep coming back to. It is not especially dark in tone but there is a fair amount of violence and cursing. The first book is called Open Season, published in 2001 I believe.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
Like HarryT, I tend to prefer Golden Age British detective fiction, but I have branched out recently and read more modern authors. My favourite detectives (authors in brackets) are:

Albert Campion (Margery Allingham)
Bruno Courrèges (Martin Walker)
Bryant and May (Christopher Fowler)
Chief Inspector Barnaby (Caroline Graham)
Dr. Basil Willing (Helen McCLoy)
Flavia de Luce (Alan Bradley)
Gervase Fen (Edmund Crispin)
Hannah Scarlett and Daniel Kind (Martin Edwards)
Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie)
Inspector Cockrill (Christianna Brand)
Jimmy Perez (Ann Cleeves)
Lord Peter Wimsey (Dorothy Sayers)
Lynley/Havers (Elizabeth George)
Marjorie Fleming (Aline Templeton)
Mary Russell (Laurie R. King)
Miss Marple (Agatha Christie)
Roderick Alleyn (Ngaio Marsh)
Vera Stanhope (Ann Cleeves)
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote