Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My New $69 K4 is here!

I just unboxed my new K4B! It comes in a all black Kindle box.

I am in awe! The difference is breathtaking! The background on the K4B is near white just like my K3! Oh I am so happy I've got happy tears going at the moment! *sniff*

The text is black not near black but black and this is using the condensed font. The front bezel feels like black smooth plastic. It's a much nicer feel and no fingerprints! Very similar to the KF's shiny black. Woot! The back feels a little more smoother but it's same backing just in black.

The page keys are not stiff at all! Just a little push and it turns the page. They feel is less clicky for lack of description. Now I can turn pages this easy I can read without my cover now if I want and not worry about dropping it with my tiny hands!

The glass is the same but maybe a different tint. It's really hard to tell. They have made some minor but wonderful improvements.

This is not a color trick or illusion as some would claim. The screen contrast between black and white is serious noticeably.

Wow Amazon you have me again!

I will check it to the K3 after I upgrade the firmware. K4B has blacker text than K3 will see if that is still true with 3.4.

Update: 3.4 did improve the K3's text contrast but the K4B is still better in both background and text contrast.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-12-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Cool. It sounds like they must have used an updated eInk screen from last year's model. Maybe this K4B is a real upgrade in HW, other than the black bezel.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Cool. It sounds like they must have used an updated eInk screen from last year's model. Maybe this K4B is a real upgrade in HW, other than the black bezel.
The speed is the same. So I don't notice any difference there. I haven't put my font back on but plan to give it a try and see if I still need it. It's currently indexing 135 books.

It's nice not having a grey background anymore.
the old one always looked dingy. This one is clean and clear!
I will add pics later I'm running on 3 hours of sleep. Total sleep in 3 days is probably 9 hours. So my typing it all over the place.

I'm love my new Kindle!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Congrats!!!! Enjoy!!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The speed is the same. So I don't notice any difference there. I haven't put my font back on but plan to give it a try and see if I still need it. It's currently indexing 135 books.

It's nice not having a grey background anymore.
the old one always looked dingy. This one is clean and clear!
I will add pics later I'm running on 3 hours of sleep. Total sleep in 3 days is probably 9 hours. So my typing it all over the place.

I'm love my new Kindle!
Time to try the fonts I sent you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I ordered two (here in the UK it's the £69 Kindle) and they're due tomorrow. Excited now! After 4 years and 4 devices I'm jumping ship from Sony - I finally got fed up with managing books and 'last read' positions manually across my work reader, my home reader and my phone. Looking forward to that whispersync goodness...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I ordered two (here in the UK it's the £69 Kindle) and they're due tomorrow. Excited now! After 4 years and 4 devices I'm jumping ship from Sony - I finally got fed up with managing books and 'last read' positions manually across my work reader, my home reader and my phone. Looking forward to that whispersync goodness...

Andrew
Oh you're gonna be in love with your new Kindles! Whispersync is why I will always be a Kindle user even though get this....I prefer epub. The ability to email a book to my Kindles is must and now we have syncing on Personal Documents it's perfect!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Time to try the fonts I sent you.
I will try it with the K4S. I may just got back to default on the K4B it's really is nice and black.

I have to say the black bezel makes the K4 looks sleek and IMO Sexy! Hubby thinks I'm nuts to call a device that but
I'm a girl so I like pretty things. The silver bezel just looks cold and mechanical. The black looks so much nicer. Now I want a new case! My case it too ratty and not black enough for this pretty baby.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I will try it with the K4S. I may just got back to default on the K4B it's really is nice and black.

I have to say the black bezel makes the K4 looks sleek and IMO Sexy! Hubby thinks I'm nuts to call a device that but
I'm a girl so I like pretty things. The silver bezel just looks cold and mechanical. The black looks so much nicer. Now I want a new case! My case it too ratty and not black enough for this pretty baby.
Is it a matt black finish so that it doesn't glare or show fingerprints?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:

Congrats!

Well new toys DO need to be pampered!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Is it a matt black finish so that it doesn't glare or show fingerprints?
Yes it's Matte. No glare problems that I can tell of. The fingerprint problem on the silver is fixed with the black bezel. I was always wiping my other down because of it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Congrats!

Well new toys DO need to be pampered!

I took a lint roller to my case. It looks a little better. I have Mareware case that I wouldn't buy again because of the staining issue. My K4S has black stains on the back from some kind of chemical reaction. I love the case though it has a hand hold and I love that feature!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm almost more tempted by this Kindle than the Paperwhite.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I hope some new cheap units with improved screens but no touch, light or other gimmicks will be developed as a successors for K3 and 4. They're functionally perfect but could benefit from a better screen.

That said, an attractive price like 69$ will convince at least a few of my friends to go for a Kindle as it is.

Last edited by s4nder; 09-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm almost more tempted by this Kindle than the Paperwhite.....
For $69 the temptation is worth the risk.

I don't know if everyone remembers how disappointed I was with the K4S when I got it. I had to exchange it because the background was really grey. The background on the replacement was a little lighter but the dingy grey cast was always there. I finally found a tolerance for it after finding a custom font that was dark enough for me to read comfortably. I had many people come to me with the same screen problem.

Some tried to say we were seeing things. They even measured the colors on their K4s, made Photoshop graphics to demonstrate it was the bezels' fault. I bought a $20 dollar black skin and put it on only to have the dingy screen now look dirty and no real difference in the text. I took it off. It was worth a shot. I finally just learned to live with it.

The K4B has renewed my faith in the Kindle line. Amazon has listened to our complaints and they have addressed this issue. A bezel changed, some hardware changes and maybe screen/glass tint...what I don't know but I can't believe I'm saying this but the contrast is better than my K3!

I'm a one happy Kindle user now! I wont miss the K3 either now I have something with better contrast. I'm still getting the PW though.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.