Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #61
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef70 View Post
I cannot check right now but I believe that the application is called Kobo (with an uppercase K).
Yes it is called 'Kobo'.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #62
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
For really big table of content books (e.g. Bible) we sure could use a quicker way to navigate -- We do have the slider for pages showing page & chapter but that is rather a beast when looking at more than a few thousand pages. How about a slider on the table of contents or a >> & << which would advance 10 pages in the TOC and > & < which would do so by 5 (TOC has 126 pages) and I guess a >| and |< which would go to beginning & end. And always the request for search -- only in TOC unique. We'll always accept search in body as well!

When I open this in ADE I see they have nested TOC -- Top Level has the Books & Next level has the chapters (Top level has a + to touch). So I suspect TOC in epub is similarly organized (Very fast in ADE to bring up).

Last edited by Byron4120; 07-02-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Revised Behavior - ADE
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #63
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by defyboy View Post
I do have a suggestion however, Most PDF's have whitespace around the outside, I find them that much more readable when I can zoom in a small amount, however when doing this, I loose the ability to change pages easily, I need to zoom out, change the page, zoom in then reseat the view.

It would be fantastic if I could change pages by tapping, whilst zoomed, and for the next/previous page to retain the zoom and position settings.
This is already partially possible. If you take the PDFs and convert the pages into png or jpg, and repack into cbz or cbr, the viewing options change to comic mode. This allows you to change pages with a single tap while zoomed in. It does realign to the top right of your page though, so it's not exactly what you want, but I think it's good enough in a bind.

I use mine to look through diagrams that I've made. You know... it just occurred to me that where's waldo would be pretty fun on the Kobo touch.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #64
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
It is possible to put the wake function onto the home button when the Kobo is asleep? I have the official cover, and the sliding switch is so tedious to pick at.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #65
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
also reading epubs in landscape mode, it has to be possible
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #66
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Landscape mode for CBR would be nice.

As well, Having sideloaded books appear at the top of the recently read list is annoying.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #67
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I want to raise another issue about endnotes. It's nice that the links work, and that you can go back to the page you were reading, although I would prefer that it was only one tap instead of two to go back. But in the book I'm reading, the links to endnotes in the text are teeny tiny little asterisks that are virtually impossible to select by finger on a touch screen. If I do manage to select the endnote link correctly, it works - but I can manage it about one time in 10. The rest of the time my tap either turns the page or calls up the page bottom menu.

I would guess that this problem is partly due to publishers not having had a chance to consider the implications of touch-screen e-readers compared to cursoring through the page directly from one endnote marker to another by button presses. They could make the endnote links bigger. But until then, is there something that could be done in the firmware to make this more practical?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #68
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for posting. I share the same sentiment with one book I'm currently reading. It's to the point where I only want to read it on my NOOK The book displays the same on the Kobo and the NOOK, yet I don't have a problem with the NOOK recognizing my finger on the link. It picks it up on the first try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I want to raise another issue about endnotes. It's nice that the links work, and that you can go back to the page you were reading, although I would prefer that it was only one tap instead of two to go back. But in the book I'm reading, the links to endnotes in the text are teeny tiny little asterisks that are virtually impossible to select by finger on a touch screen. If I do manage to select the endnote link correctly, it works - but I can manage it about one time in 10. The rest of the time my tap either turns the page or calls up the page bottom menu.

I would guess that this problem is partly due to publishers not having had a chance to consider the implications of touch-screen e-readers compared to cursoring through the page directly from one endnote marker to another by button presses. They could make the endnote links bigger. But until then, is there something that could be done in the firmware to make this more practical?

Last edited by SCION; 07-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like to read while holding the reader in my left hand (and I don't like to swipe). I would like some sort of configuration for this (tapping anywhere on the screen pages forward, or tapping on the left side page forwards).

More formatting options. For each formatting option, whether to use it or use the ebook settings.

Equal treatment of side-loaded content.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #70
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
+1 on this. The biggest beef I can have with any reader is preferential treatment of their content over side-loaded epubs.

Stuff I'd like to see (some likely mentioned), in my own personal priority order from most important to least important:
  • Italics/Bold/Hyperlink bugs with rendering/interaction of side-loaded content.
  • No more page markings in the margins for side-loaded content.
  • Highlighting should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Dictionary lookup should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Shelf/Collection Support. Preferably in a way friendly to side-loaded content such that I may not have to create all the collections myself (tags in the eBook to auto-add them to shelves, perhaps?).
  • Notes attached to a highlight (this is very useful for reminding me why I highlighted a section of text).
  • I like the title/chapter title display for Kobo content, I'd like to see this on both side-loaded and Kobo content, but I'd prefer to see a page count for the whole book. The page count within the chapter should be configurable, as some of us care more about book progress and less about chapter progress.
  • It'd be nice to support the cover meta tag to grab the cover image. The nook uses this for sideloaded content to bypass having to render the cover page and hope it looks right, and just grab the raw image directly. Seems to make processing of new content a lot faster as well. Maybe revert to existing behavior if it isn't present.
  • EDIT: Bigger screensaver with the book cover. The percentage read and "Sleep Mode" text are a bit invasive and don't really add much to the experience. I'd be happy with the cover taking up most/all of the screen with an overlay (a la Nook) telling you how to wake your device.

I haven't even probed the limits of search or format support yet. This is just the stuff that bugged me to varying degrees. The first 5 are ones that I'd return the device over, and the first 4 fall under the umbrella of "Side-loaded content is a second-class citizen on the device".

Last edited by Kolenka; 07-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #71
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
Landscape mode for CBR would be nice.

As well, Having sideloaded books appear at the top of the recently read list is annoying.
I agree having our books that were pushed to the Touch via Calibre or Sideloaded via drag and drop does seem kind of stupid to appear right away. Would be nice to see a display for shortlists, new additions, what I am reading, etc. set by the user to display what option they want.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #72
DizzC
Enthusiast
DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
+1 on this. The biggest beef I can have with any reader is preferential treatment of their content over side-loaded epubs.

Stuff I'd like to see (some likely mentioned), in my own personal priority order from most important to least important:
  • Italics/Bold/Hyperlink bugs with rendering/interaction of side-loaded content.
  • No more page markings in the margins for side-loaded content.
  • Highlighting should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Dictionary lookup should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Shelf/Collection Support. Preferably in a way friendly to side-loaded content such that I may not have to create all the collections myself (tags in the eBook to auto-add them to shelves, perhaps?).
  • Notes attached to a highlight (this is very useful for reminding me why I highlighted a section of text).
  • I like the title/chapter title display for Kobo content, I'd like to see this on both side-loaded and Kobo content, but I'd prefer to see a page count for the whole book. The page count within the chapter should be configurable, as some of us care more about book progress and less about chapter progress.
  • It'd be nice to support the cover meta tag to grab the cover image. The nook uses this for sideloaded content to bypass having to render the cover page and hope it looks right, and just grab the raw image directly. Seems to make processing of new content a lot faster as well. Maybe revert to existing behavior if it isn't present.
  • EDIT: Bigger screensaver with the book cover. The percentage read and "Sleep Mode" text are a bit invasive and don't really add much to the experience. I'd be happy with the cover taking up most/all of the screen with an overlay (a la Nook) telling you how to wake your device.

I haven't even probed the limits of search or format support yet. This is just the stuff that bugged me to varying degrees. The first 5 are ones that I'd return the device over, and the first 4 fall under the umbrella of "Side-loaded content is a second-class citizen on the device".
Agree totally with all the points you brought up except for the Sleep mode page. I have seen several people remark that a full screen picture should be displayed instead but I personally enjoy the look as is. Am I alone in this?
DizzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #73
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzC View Post
Agree totally with all the points you brought up except for the Sleep mode page. I have seen several people remark that a full screen picture should be displayed instead but I personally enjoy the look as is. Am I alone in this?
Yes, you are alone in this.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #74
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I like to read while holding the reader in my left hand (and I don't like to swipe). I would like some sort of configuration for this (tapping anywhere on the screen pages forward, or tapping on the left side page forwards).

More formatting options. For each formatting option, whether to use it or use the ebook settings.

ditto. Maybe split the screen in the reader app into 9 rectangle touch zones and allow us to pick what function, e.g. page fwd/back, menu, etc. when short tapping in that "zone".

I'd also like the ability in the library to sort books by date added fwd/rvs. I GREATLY miss this feature from the Sony.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for posting. I share the same sentiment with one book I'm currently reading. It's to the point where I only want to read it on my NOOK The book displays the same on the Kobo and the NOOK, yet I don't have a problem with the NOOK recognizing my finger on the link. It picks it up on the first try.
I'm thinking this must be a screen sensitivity setting by Kobo. My Sony 350 has the same touchscreen technology but it is way too sensitive, so much so that a very small crumb from a snack can cause the 350 to rapidly turn pages. However, the 350 came with a built-in stylus which requires a high amount of sensitivity. I tried the 350 stylus with the KT and it does not work on the KT because I assume the sensitivity level is turned way down. So using a stylus for selecting one-character endnote hyperlinks is not a current option on the KT.

Actually I just now compared my Sony 350 to my KT and the 350 screen is inset about twice as deep into the case as is the KT. So perhaps the 350 touchscreen has some other sensors around the perimeter? I like the inset depth of the KT better as the 350 is inset way to deep into the case, so deep it casts a long shadow onto the screen when the lighting source is too far to one side.