Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
11/22/63 by Stephen King - Discussion Thread

Anyone else getting this tonight/tomorrow? I have the Kindle Edition with Audio/Video pre-ordered and cannot wait. Probably going to wake up extra early tomorrow to watch the short movie and read a few chapters before work.

Announcement from Stephen King's Website
Wikipedia Entry

Kindle Edition with audio/video (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch only) - Includes 13 minute opening movie narrated by Stephen King ($18.99)
Kindle Edition - $16.99
Harcover - $18.40

Not linking to any reviews as I have read that they are spoiler heavy.

Last edited by Quake1028; 11-07-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm interested in reading it, but I don't know that I'm wanting to fork over $17 for the Kindle version of it. Maybe when the price drops a bit, I'll give it a read.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to say the fact that I earned a $100 Amazon GC recently at work helped in my decision to go ahead and splurge for the $19 version. But I can definitely see a lot might find the price a huge turn off.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 11/22/63 by Stephen King - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
.....Anyone else getting this tonight/tomorrow? I have the Kindle Edition with Audio/Video pre-ordered and cannot wait. Probably going to wake up extra early tomorrow to watch the short movie and read a few chapters before work.

Announcement from Stephen King's Website
Wikipedia Entry

Kindle Edition with audio/video (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch only) - Includes 13 minute opening movie narrated by Stephen King ($18.99)
Kindle Edition - $16.99
Harcover - $18.40

Not linking to any reviews as I have read that they are spoiler heavy.
nope too pricey for me instead, i placed it on my amazon christmas wish list and requested the $16.99 version in the comments field

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'm interested in reading it, but I don't know that I'm wanting to fork over $17 for the Kindle version of it. Maybe when the price drops a bit, I'll give it a read.
but i did put it on my amazon christmas wish list

Quote:
I have to say the fact that I earned a $100 Amazon GC recently at work helped in my decision to go ahead and splurge for the $19 version. But I can definitely see a lot might find the price a huge turn off.
could i ask why the $18.99 version instead of the $2.00 cheaper one
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Quake1028
Guru

A few reasons:

I have an iPad 2, so might as well take advantage of it.
The video sounds cool.
Like I said, free money to me, so why the heck not .
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool 11/22/63 by Stephen King - Discussion Thread

Quote:
A few reasons:

I have an iPad 2, so might as well take advantage of it.
The video sounds cool.
Like I said, free money to me, so why the heck not .
duh your 'Device: See signature' confused me
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Quake1028
Guru

Watched the video and read the first 5 chapters this morning. Obviously I haven't even begun to scratch the surface, but what I've read so far has been really, really good. And the video was a perfect mood setting device. Well done.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

You're in luck: It just dropped a penny!

Seriously: I've bought my copy and will start on it as soon as I finish another long book that I'm reading.

This thread looks to be quite interesting and I'm sure there'll be some wonderful discussions going on.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is that video available publicly ? as in is there a legal link where I can watch it ?

As for the novel, it's a fiction story with the historical background of the Kennedy assassination right ? Just trying to understand what the book is about.

Quote:
Watched the video and read the first 5 chapters this morning. Obviously I haven't even begun to scratch the surface, but what I've read so far has been really, really good. And the video was a perfect mood setting device. Well done.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I read the preview today and can't wait to read the rest. I just bought "1Q84" though, which is 1000 pages long and I'm going to wait until I finish that before getting into another thousand-page epic. Especially since it's $17, I might wait until my next pay day.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Is that video available publicly ? as in is there a legal link where I can watch it ?

As for the novel, it's a fiction story with the historical background of the Kennedy assassination right ? Just trying to understand what the book is about.
It's about a guy going back in time to try and prevent the JFK assassination.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
It's about a guy going back in time to try and prevent the JFK assassination.

*cough the plot of an episode of quantum leap cough*

under the dome was the plot from the simpsons movie.

imo king is creatively bankrupt.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

Under the Dome was actually an early novel that King attempted, but sat on it for a couple decades because he didn't feel he could do the idea justice. He then rewrote most of it and published it around the same time as the Simpsons movie. Also, Stephen King books are really more about the interaction between the characters than the plot device. He creates believable characters and writes interesting dialogue for them, that makes you want to read about them for hundreds (or thousands in some cases) of pages.

I mean, every science fiction plot at some point has been done in some way on Star Trek, or Quantum Leap, or Doctor Who or whatever. "Going back in time to stop Lee Harvey Oswald" is a very basic idea that may have been done before but it's not the point of reading this book, you know what I mean? This isn't an alternate history novel, it's a Stephen King book.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Under the Dome was actually an early novel that King attempted, but sat on it for a couple decades because he didn't feel he could do the idea justice. He then rewrote most of it and published it around the same time as the Simpsons movie. Also, Stephen King books are really more about the interaction between the characters than the plot device. He creates believable characters and writes interesting dialogue for them, that makes you want to read about them for hundreds (or thousands in some cases) of pages.

I mean, every science fiction plot at some point has been done in some way on Star Trek, or Quantum Leap, or Doctor Who or whatever. "Going back in time to stop Lee Harvey Oswald" is a very basic idea that may have been done before but it's not the point of reading this book, you know what I mean? This isn't an alternate history novel, it's a Stephen King book.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

According to this logic there are a lot of creatively bankrupt writes out there. Like...all of 'em.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote