Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So you think the Solicitors Regulation Authority was in on this and it was a massive conspiracy?

Helen
No. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I don't have a dog in this fight because I've never read any of her books.

But I think if Rowling was really "hurt" by the revelation, she would have pushed for a stronger penalty - and it would have happened - and would have terminated her relationship with the law firm. His rebuke is ultimately meaningless because it is toothless, and because if she was willing to stay with the firm after this indiscretion, I doubt that they lost any of their other customers. And I do think that it's odd that he made the revelation to "his wife's best friend". Telling his wife I could understand, but her best friend, not even his?

It could have been just a faux pas on his behalf, or it could have been a deliberate slip just to see how long it took for the word to spread and increase the sales with the law suit being merely pro forma. Just because we might think that she thinks she doesn't need more money doesn't mean that she actually thinks that.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Goodness me. You're right. Although it seems that Christopher Gossage is a partner at Russells, not merely an employee.
I am a partner in a business and I cannot be fired. I can be bought out, but not fired. Chances are he could have been forced out if he had lost his license, but his license has not been pulled. I would imagine that the exact terms of the partnership agreement controls this sort of thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Also interesting that the very FIRST place his wife's friend went to was a journalist? Seriously? Really wants attention for herself. I'm sure she ruined the friendship. I wonder if it was worth it?

Last edited by Tarana; 01-04-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
No. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I don't have a dog in this fight because I've never read any of her books.

But I think if Rowling was really "hurt" by the revelation, she would have pushed for a stronger penalty - and it would have happened - and would have terminated her relationship with the law firm. His rebuke is ultimately meaningless because it is toothless, and because if she was willing to stay with the firm after this indiscretion, I doubt that they lost any of their other customers. And I do think that it's odd that he made the revelation to "his wife's best friend". Telling his wife I could understand, but her best friend, not even his?

It could have been just a faux pas on his behalf, or it could have been a deliberate slip just to see how long it took for the word to spread and increase the sales with the law suit being merely pro forma. Just because we might think that she thinks she doesn't need more money doesn't mean that she actually thinks that.
Ahh, I thought you were serious.

I think J. K. Rowling must be a very nice person. She could have squashed them all like bugs I am sure. The woman does appear to have the money to do so , and could have made more by simply keeping the settlement and/or suing.

If she had wanted publicity she was in a perfect position to get more by making a far bigger splash in the news.

Personally I think she handled the whole situation with more manners and grace than most people would have.

And I don't care for Harry Potter either. And since my sister and many of my friends do I have tried on occasion to read/watch. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #35
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I think she has a lot of class, it's a good thing she isn't like Martha Stewart or he would be running through hell with gasoline drawers on.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #36
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The question is not whether or not it was a breach of professional ethics - it clearly was - but whether or not it was an action which justified banning someone for life from practising as a solicitor. The professional standards body decided that it was not.

If the penalty had been more severe, I hope JKR would've intervened on his behalf. It's not like there were dire consequences from the revelation.

Btw, I read the book. I thought it was pretty good.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote