Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
accwebworks
accwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle3
Thumbs up Easier way to manage collections on kindle - (Web Based Kindle Collection Maker)

I wrote a small web based utility to manage my kindle collections. It can be great time saver for folks who want to create many collections on their kindle.
It creates collections from folders on your pc.

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx

Please let me know of any bugs or feature requests.
thanks

Last edited by accwebworks; 01-01-2011 at 10:39 PM.
accwebworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks accwebworks. That looks like a pretty nifty program. I've added it to the wiki.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
accwebworks
accwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-booksaccwebworks has learned how to read e-books

Thanks, hope it makes it easier for everyone to create multiple collections.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Query:

Can one just have the books on the kindle attached as a drive via usb and do a DIR command against the kindle-drive? I see you have the folder structure start from Kindle but it could start at documents? Although, you treat Audible, too.

Although, I guess since I want a backup, having the books on the computer is reasonable

Thanks for sharing - I will give it a try.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
accwebworks

That's a good suggestion. I made a adjustment to allow to run file list directly from attached kindle. Of course this means if you do that you have to organize your books in folders directly in your kindle documents folder.
Let me know how this works out for you.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, the key concept - ORGANIZE - somewhere! (g)

Actually, I have been trying to create a limited folder (I'm still old school, very old school and call them Directories which works nicely with your DIR command line). That's one aspect of Calibre that I have not quite worked around - creating folders for each author and each book. I prefer my 8-10 major genres and less sub-foldering. I'll see if I can play a bit later (my desktop is being fixed and this netbook is quite limiting)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you accwebworks, that is going to be very useful to me. Very much appreciated!
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This utility was tested with english characters. It may not work correctly with special or non english characters.
Will this work with directory names that begin with a period followed by a space? I found this helps to get collections sorted properly on the kindle home screen.

Quote:
Copy all files from your kindle folder on your pc to its respective subfolders on kindle including new system\collections.json file.
Why is copying all files from the pc to the kindle necessary. Isn't it the json file that puts books in collections? I can see that if I were doing this a 2nd time, this would make it easier to copy from the kindle to the pc and still have the directory structure created the first time. But is it necessary.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just looked at my kindle directory structure and there is no system directory. I have the following:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
duplicate_documents
music
metadata.calibre (which is a file)

Do I need to create a systems folder in my kindle directory on my pc?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
accwebworks

Jangell2,

1. Period and a space should not be a problem.
2. Collections.json file associates collection name with a list of files in file system.
Some files require full path of that file as an identifier of that file.
So, if you create a collection that contains file that exist on your pc and that file
has different path on your kindle, that file will not be found in that collection.
Kindle does not care where the file is located. This utility is using folder name as a
collection name. Makes it easy to organize files that will belong to a given collection.

3. Yes, system folder is hidden. You can go to folder options and make invisible folders
visible. I'll update instructions, it may be confusing for some.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by accwebworks View Post
Jangell2,
3. Yes, system folder is hidden. You can go to folder options and make invisible folders
visible. I'll update instructions, it may be confusing for some.
I just checked and my folder options also say to show hidden files, but not protected files. I changed that and the system file showed up. It's probably not an option to leave on for long, could get you into trouble.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Jangell2,
2. Collections.json file associates collection name with a list of files in file system.
Some files require full path of that file as an identifier of that file.
So, if you create a collection that contains file that exist on your pc and that file
has different path on your kindle, that file will not be found in that collection.
Kindle does not care where the file is located. This utility is using folder name as a
collection name. Makes it easy to organize files that will belong to a given collection.
You're saying the location of the file indicates what collection the book is in. I thought I had read that a book could be in more than one collection without having two or more copies of the book. If the location of the book determines what collection it is in, than there would have to be more than one copy of the book to be in more one collection.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
accwebworks

Yes, you can have a book in multiple collections. Since this utility is using file system on pc to create collections then if you wish to have same book in multiple collections it would have to exist in 2 separate folders.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
FF2
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, you can have a book in multiple collections. Since this utility is using file system on pc to create collections then if you wish to have same book in multiple collections it would have to exist in 2 separate folders.
A thought on that issue which may not work but .....

What if someone created a SHORTCUT to the real book in a second folder? Would your program know what to do with it or would it just add it to that second folder? Actually, that is what Collections really are - shortcuts or pointers to a book. Just musing....
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
accwebworks

Well, I would have build in special handling for shortcuts. Basically I would be looking at file list looking for shortcuts first. If any shortcut name matched any book in the file list I could point to the physical book location of the shortcut. Since all I have is names of files, naming shortcut would be very important. It would have to be named the same way as the original file. This could potentially save some space for people who have lots of same books in multiple collections.