Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
pb117
pb117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8.9" HD
How to clean up

So I finally got tired of putting up with the slow, orphaned Blackberry Playbook and got a K 8.9" HD. Loving the smooth, intuitive O/S but I do have a question - how do I go about cleaning out the various preloaded content which is of no use to me. For example under apps there are several - like Free Time, Silk, etc. - which I will never use and which are taking up memory. Admittedly this thing has a lot of memory but...
And how do I go about periodically scrubbing the cache of old web downloads, etc.
pb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask questions in the correct forum. Moved to the Kindle Fire forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Hold down /press on the app you want to remove from your device and the option should appear to remove. Some apps, I believe, cannot be removed (I think the office app, possibly Free Time?) Anyway, the hard press should help you to clear out some of the apps and free up space.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Wish there was a way to remove Free Time and others they take up a lot of space.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Silk IS the web browser.

If you root it, you can easily remove stuff. I don't think there's a disable button on the Fire otherwise.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
pb117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Silk IS the web browser.

If you root it, you can easily remove stuff. I don't think there's a disable button on the Fire otherwise.
Duh of course. Told you I was a noob. Thanks.
Still would like to be able to clean up all the extraneous stuff however. Give you specifics: I've downloaded one book and three episodes of a TV series. Yet a readout on Windows File Manager shows just 10.6 gigs out of 27 still available. Huh? What's taking up all that space? Does that include the O/S or is it just the content? sorry if I'm using the wrong terms but I think the question is still clear.

Last edited by pb117; 08-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb117 View Post
Duh of course. Told you I was a noob. Thanks.
Still would like to be able to clean up all the extraneous stuff however. Give you specifics: I've downloaded one book and three episodes of a TV series. Yet a readout on Windows File Manager shows just 10.6 gigs out of 27 still available. Huh? What's taking up all that space? Does that include the O/S or is it just the content? sorry if I'm using the wrong terms but I think the question is still clear.
The Kindle OS takes less than 600MB. That's with all the little apps it comes with (Kindle reader, Quickoffice, Silk, etc).

These days TV episodes are like 500MB each. Up to like 1GB when it's the HD version.

Now if you delete the system apps, it won't really help since they user internal space and not the SD card. However, they won't sit in memory.

And I recommend you just freeze them. It just makes them not be able to be opened and doesn't remove them from the system. Kinda like the "disabled feature".

But you'd still need to root to do that.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
pb117

Thanks J for being patient with a noob. My experience is all with BB OS7 and the Playbook (what a piece of...well, never mind) so I'm still at sea about this Android-based platform.