Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #76
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is misinformation. They did have a problem with a security breach at one point and shut down the server to fix it but this did NOT effect anyones ability to use the books they already owned. It did effect the ability to buy books for a while. It was, hopefully, a one time event and they have taken efforts to prevent it in the future.
If you are going to be entirely correct than this is misinformation if by bought you mean that you have payed for the book and it is downloadable. If you have to replace your reading device during the period there computer is not working you cannot read your books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #77
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you are going to be entirely correct than this is misinformation if by bought you mean that you have payed for the book and it is downloadable. If you have to replace your reading device during the period there computer is not working you cannot read your books.
You talked like it was this major problem effecting all users drastically and now it is reduced to people who had a hardware failure and had to actually replace their reading device in the week that it was down. This was very unclear from you original posting.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #78
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You talked like it was this major problem effecting all users drastically and now it is reduced to people who had a hardware failure and had to actually replace their reading device in the week that it was down. This was very unclear from you original posting.
I did not talk about anything. It was another person. I just think that if you say that something is misinformation and corrects it the correction should not contain any misinformation. As a general principle.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #79
schmidt349
schmidt349 is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Mobi's server crashing would not have the slightest effect on existing books; it would simply prevent you from buying new books, or encoding books that you've bought previously for a new device.
Great, so Mobipocket goes belly-up, my e-reader breaks a year later, I replace my PC, and THEN I'm SOL.

Compare my paper books, all of which I'm still able to read with as little difficulty as their original audiences even though some are more than a century old.

This will be a DRM good/bad-type debate, though, and offtopic here.
schmidt349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi are, to repeat, one of the oldest names in the business. They are highly unlikely to go "belly up". It's a chance I'm willing to take. If you aren't, the solution is simple - don't buy books from them; nobody is forcing you to. We all have to make an informed choice about these matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I did not talk about anything. It was another person. I just think that if you say that something is misinformation and corrects it the correction should not contain any misinformation. As a general principle.
sorry, When there is 6 pages of articles in the thread it is hard to keep track of who is saying what. I think I did quote what you said which seemed to me to be supporting the original premise. If you were not supporting the original premise then I misunderstood you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #82
Barry Scott
Barry Scott began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since I rarely re-read books, I regard this as a complete "non issue". I buy books to read NOW - I don't particularly care whether or not I'll be able to re-read them in 20 years' time. How many of the books that you bought 20 years ago do you still have, and read, now?
This is where I have a problem. I have books that are 20 years old and I like the fact I can read them again (and do). I am not interested in Sony's proprietary format as we know how that often works out for them (fingers crossed for Blu-ray though), nor I am confident in Amazon's commitment to MOBI, especially after they screwed all their existing customers who have spent money on DRM'd books (basically if you have spent hundreds of pounds on DRM'd MOBI books, buy them now on Kindle or [Expletive deleted] off).

If maybe they allowed the Kindle to read DRM'd MOBI files, that would show some commitment to the format but more importantly the customer. As it stands, I think Mobipocket would be more appealing to me if Amazon sold it, that way it could be controlled by someone who had not basically just released a replacement to it.

I think I will go with the Sony just because they have said they will support epub and digital editions. By supporting an alternative DRM'd format, I think this shows commitment to the consumer and I trust Adobe having used their products for a long time. If Bookeen announce a date for epub support and that they will support digital editions, then I might be tempted, but I think the Sony is the nicer device of the two.

Last edited by Barry Scott; 12-09-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Barry Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #83
macewan
macewan began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
apt-get install pyrite-publisher
pyrpub file.txt
pilot-xfer -i file.pdb

Quote:
Oh, they have released a Linux version of these tools then. Or are you just assuming that everybody uses Windows?
macewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #84
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macewan View Post
apt-get install pyrite-publisher
pyrpub file.txt
pilot-xfer -i file.pdb
That generated PalmDoC files from text files and not MobiPocket files. But my Mobiperl described in another thread can now generate MobiPocket files on all platforms that has Perl installed.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #85
macewan
macewan began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Quote:
That generated PalmDoC files from text files and not MobiPocket files. But my Mobiperl described in another thread can now generate MobiPocket files on all platforms that has Perl installed.

ah, thanks for clarifying
macewan is offline   Reply With Quote