Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
SandyBrooks
SandyBrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket
Best light that clips directly to nook?

So, what's the best book light to get for the nook that doesn't require a cover? For my sony pocket I used a nice cover that had a light built in, but it was a bit heavy IMO. I'd rather just not use a cover while reading at home and have a lightweight light that clips directly on. The one B&N makes (the lyra) doesn't have the greatest reviews, so I'm looking for other alternatives.
SandyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
The Lyra is a good light, if you like *bright* lights. I don't, so I'm using an m-Edge eLuminator2 tucked into the back of the Industriell Easel cover (see attachment). I prefer the m-edge low setting.

I've tried every one of the booklights at Borders and B&N - the handful that clip directly to the Nook require coin batteries or have excessively large clips that are too large for the Nook's bezel. And most are even brighter than the Lyra, as they have 2 or even 3 LEDs because they are designed to cover both pages of p-books.

There is also the Belkin Clip-On, which has two light settings. I'm thinking about trying that with my Opus.

Some people like the Kandle, others complain that it doesn't provide good coverage to the bottom of a 6" screen.

I wish Octovo would make a Solis for the Nook. It looks like it is a slick light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7457.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	55678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7459.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	55679  

Last edited by simplyparticular; 07-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
And I forgot to mention - I *love* the quality of the Sony lights. The m-edge is the closest thing I've found.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBrooks View Post
So, what's the best book light to get for the nook that doesn't require a cover? For my sony pocket I used a nice cover that had a light built in, but it was a bit heavy IMO. I'd rather just not use a cover while reading at home and have a lightweight light that clips directly on. The one B&N makes (the lyra) doesn't have the greatest reviews, so I'm looking for other alternatives.
I agree with the m-Edge eLuminator but you need one of their covers. m-Edge has several style covers that the light fits into. See link. http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook/

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
SandyBrooks

Thanks so much for the input and links. I think I may try out the lyra. Not sure if I like bright lights or not, as that's sort of subjective. The one on my sony was fine, it had two settings and I usually used the brighter one. Anyway, I think I'll try out the lyra, now that I searched amazon and found that the CR2032 batteries really aren't expensive as some people claimed on reviews of the lyra. You can get 25 for like $5. I like the idea of the light being lightweight, especially since I'll be clamping it directly on the nook.
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I agree with the m-Edge eLuminator but you need one of their covers. m-Edge has several style covers that the light fits into. See link. http://www.medgestore.com/products/nook/

~eddie
I have the B&N Industriell cover. While the m-Edge eLuminator doesn't fit between the Nook and the center of the cover, it fits along the top or bottom edge with the light hooked around the edge of the Nook. This doesn't work with the original poster's request of not needing a cover, though.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Kindle 2 - eliminated - ergonomics & navigation ...

Hmmm ... it is the "ergonomics and navigation" that have my wife absolutely delighted with her Kindle2.

Diff'rent keystrokes for diff'rent folks, I guess ....
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
SandyBrooks

So I picked up the lyra light and am really happy with it. Also ordered a bunch of batteries for it, and slip case to store the nook in when I'm not using.