Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
HenryP
Enthusiast
HenryP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Ebook launch procedure

Hello,
I am launching my free ebook tomorrow, April Fools' Day, and hope someone here will tell me how I should introduce it to the MobileRead newsgroup and whether it's appropriate to upload a copy to the newsgroup library tomorrow, too, or wait until some readers have given it the nod as worthy of inclusion?

henryp
HenryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hello Henry P.

I'm unsure about the procedure of uploading a book to MobileRead but, I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will answer soon.

Could you give us some more information about your book and what formats you will make available?

Do you have a website?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
HenryP
Enthusiast

Hello dreams,
I was in the middle of replying to your message when an ad appeared over the top and logged me out so I'm unsure if any of that message is still in the aether.
Assuming it's not, I'll answer again:

The book is an anecdotal account of how the USA came to be as it is, of what makes the American tick.

Part One will be available for download from the associated website.
I'll post the name of that website in this forum first thing on April 1st.

I used Kovid Goyal's 'Calibre' to generate three versions - .epub, lrf, and .mobi - of the ebook but the lrf version is not up to scratch, yet, because I've not been able to generate a Table of Contents in that version.

I asked for help in the Calibre forum but no-one answered. Since I didn't want to be too pushy with my minor issue, and since I'd already had much help from Kovid and others in that forum, I decided to publish the lrf version as is on the grounds that I can always make the more user friendly version available just as soon as I figure out the tricky syntax for chapter recognition in that form.

So please check out this thread first thing on April 1st and you'll have the name of the website and its associated ebook. There's a direct email contact provided to the publisher, there, too; i.e., the group behind the website project.

Thanks for your interest and of course I'd welcome any response should you ever decide to read the tall tale I've written about your extraordinary nation and its people.
henry
Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Henry, I'm not a moderator here, but I think you'll find that, as with other authors who are members of Mobileread, uploading your book into Mobileread's ebook section would be most welcome.

Also, once you get that link to your (ebook's) website, I'd suggest going into your profile and editing your signature to include a reference and link to it (If it was me, I'd mention there that the ebook's also available at Mobileread too, as to my mind it shows extra participation in the community ). That way people can not only see that your an author with your every post, but they can find your work too.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
HenryP
Enthusiast

Hey Marc,
Thanks. I appreciate your suggestion and will endeavour to do what you recommend. I'm something of a newsgroup novice and haven't yet come to terms with all the manoeuvres.

henry
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Do feel entirely free to post your book in our upload section, HenryP. A number of authors have already done so.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
HenryP
Enthusiast

Hello,
Thanks for the help.

I'm launching 'Taken in by America' here, now, by announcing that it may be downloaded for free from the website of the same (similar?) name - www.takeninbyamerica.com - or accessed from the Mobileread library just as soon as I figure out how to do so.

henry
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't forget to mention this in the Deals and Freebies forum. Start a thread to mention precisely where the book is available, Henry.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Henry, what is the original source of the file? If it's HTML, does it have proper inline links?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
HenryP
Enthusiast

Hello again,
Patricia, thanks for the advice; I'll do that.
Jon, the text was written on Word 2004 for Mac then transferred to Windows (because the Mac OSX was pre-Tiger and couldn't run Calibre) Word 97 compatible then converted to filtered HTML and run through Calibre.

I have a Mobipocket reader software on my Windows machine and the .mobi file came out looking as it should (i.e., like a book). Similarly, the .epub file worked well when viewed from within Calibre. The .lrf, on the other hand, lacked, as I mentioned in a previous message, a Table of Contents. But I've made it available until I can figure out the chapter detection syntax for calibre .lrf files.

I hope that answers your question, Jon, and is not off on a tangent, or, worse, a shaggy dog story.

henry
Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing to do is put in bookmarks (what the link are called in Word) and then try the conversion to LRF again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
HenryP
Enthusiast

Thanks Jon,
I'm not too sure how to put in bookmarks, as you suggest, but will look into that. In the meantime, though, the question concerning this that I posted in Calibre a few days ago is now active again so I'm following that, too, and will sort this out soon enough.

It being April Fools' Day, I feel free to display further ignorance by asking if you or Patricia or someone else who knows to tell me how I can upload the various versions of the book to the MobileRead library.
I have been looking around for a couple of days in search of the way to do this but, as I say, I'm not au fait with newsgroups and have thus far failed to solve this simple problem.
I'm a writer and having a group of ready readers is Christmas so I'm anxious to get 'Taken in by America' into readers' hands but my deficit in the IT department is holding me back until I learn how to navigate and sail online.

henry
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader

Technically, this is a forum, not a newsgroup, Henry. But no worries.

As for uploading books: go to the book upload section. Start a thread in the appropriate section. Follow the title convention. (Author surname, forename: title, v1, date - if you get that wrong then some mod will correct it, so don't fret about that.)
In the thread, give a brief description of the book.
Then click "Manage Attachments" and follow the instructions to upload the book. It is very similar to adding an email attachment. If I can do it, then anyone can. But if any problems arise, then just contact a mod.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
HenryP
Enthusiast

Thanks Patricia.
hp