Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
The drive for dictionary support

I hereby start the drive for adding dictionary support to the new Sony Reader (PRS-700).

We know that Sony monitors our activity on the forum. Let's show them that there's a lot of requests for adding dictionary support on the Sony. Anyone who wants to see it added to the PRS-700 (or even the PRS-505 ) please reply to this thread.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-04-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would like to see it and if there was dictionary support I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by MerLock; 10-04-2008 at 07:55 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Dictionary support would be the one thing that would make me seriously consider upgrading to the 700.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think it is very important and would consider it to be essential in the education market. It is especially helpful when reading classics that use words that are not in normal conversation any longer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
I would definitively consider the PRS-700 if it has dictionary support. I've been considering switching from the PRS-500 to the kindle because of the dictionary support!
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Dictionary support would be the one thing that would make me seriously consider upgrading to the 700.

dordale
Me too
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I hereby start the drive for adding dictionary support to the new Sony Reader (PRS-700).

We know that Sony monitors our activity on the forum. Let's show them that there's a lot of requests for adding dictionary support on the Sony. Anyone who wants to see it added to the PPRS-700 (or even the PRS-505 ) please reply to this thread.
Why not have support for all the Sony readers and not just the 700?
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad View Post
Why not have support for all the Sony readers and not just the 700?
The PRS-700 has a touch-screen which enable you to pick single words by touch alone. That makes it very easy to add dict. support.

Of course I'd love it if they'll add dict. support to all models...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
With most other ebook devices having dictionary supporting, it'd be a great drawback for Sony not having this essential feature on its new products.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
What kind of dictionary you talking about ? English2english ?
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic

That's what I'm interested in, similar to what's available for the Cybook. I suppose once they build in the infrastructure they could add support for other languages as well.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
/sign (preferably for 505 as well as 700)
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think multiple dictionary support would make it more competitive. Kindle only supports one at a time so that would make a good differentiating feature for them especially for the educational market. A student is much more likely than the general novel reading public to want a general dictionary, foreign languages, and special subject references all at the same time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I'm supporting your drive. Dictionary lookup is one of my two feature musts for a "perfect" ebook reader. The other one is annotation and highlighting capability. The PRS-700 already has the latter, so Sony, step up and add the dictionary support, and you'll have one hell of a product. I'm guessing it shouldn't be that hard to add it.

As for wi-fi, nah, I can live without it.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Lack of dictionary support is the only thing that is keeping me away from Sony, add it, (it must be inside the book look up) and you have a customer...
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote