Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #16
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Wow, great news! I had made a copy of the image as well when I came across it a few weeks ago (googling for the hardware parts inside my mini, IIRC), but it's dusting on my "TODO" pile. I'll try to get it running on the Kobo Mini.

The Tolino Shine is probably based on about the same hardware design. Not physical, but electrical design.

OK, this is real incentive to port Koreader to run on Android devices :-)

Last edited by hawhill; 10-31-2013 at 03:36 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #17
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
OK, this is real incentive to port Koreader to run on Android devices :-)
Exactly my thought!
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I could play with it a bit, screen updating is quite annoying I should say... But it's definitely a start. I'll try to make it work on the AuraHD as well. Then I think it would be possible to borrow some eink refresh techniques from rooted Nook Simple Touch, I heard they have video working quite smoothly.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
BTW, here the OS software sources, namely the kernel, can be found: http://www.tolino.de/at/produkte/tol...hnische-daten/ (at the bottom of the page)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
SyreKron
SyreKron is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
This is awesome! This website has rooting directions for the Tolino Shine, it should work on the Kobo Shine as well.

Edit: And I'm rooted!
I just got mine rooted also. I deviated from the instructions somewhat but was still able to get it done.

Oh! How nice! Has anyone noticed if multi-touch works on a rooted GloShine??
SyreKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyreKron View Post
I just got mine rooted also. I deviated from the instructions somewhat but was still able to get it done.

Oh! How nice! Has anyone noticed if multi-touch works on a rooted GloShine??
In the browser it doesn't, so I guess they didn't enable it.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Edit: And I'm rooted!
Can you, please provide English instructions how to root Kobo Glo?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I could play with it a bit, screen updating is quite annoying I should say... But it's definitely a start. I'll try to make it work on the AuraHD as well. Then I think it would be possible to borrow some eink refresh techniques from rooted Nook Simple Touch, I heard they have video working quite smoothly.
I have a rooted Tolino Shine. You can install AlReader on it, so I guess it is possible on the Glo too. AlReader has an optional eInk-mode, which gives you an adjustable screen refresh (refresh always up to refresh every 40 pages). You can also adjust the light with one finger sweeping up or down the screen, similar to the new 6" Aura.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #24
Stingy
Stingy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Is the Kobo Glo running Android 2.3.4 like the Shine?
Stingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
SyreKron
SyreKron is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy View Post
Is the Kobo Glo running Android 2.3.4 like the Shine?
No, the unmodified Glo does not use Android firmware.

The Glo hardware is compatible with the Shine so you can load the Shine's Android firmware on it (open case and swap SD cards).
SyreKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Can you, please provide English instructions how to root Kobo Glo?
After you write the shine image to an SD card, enable ADB by following the directions on this page (scroll down to the section titled "ADB"). Then download the rooting package and run the adb commands in "3_install_su.bat".
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
Liriel
Connoisseur
Liriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a TexanLiriel might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: BOL Oyo, Kobo Glo 8GB
can someone upload the SD card image from the kobo shine for the user that not expert in kernel & co programming?
Liriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriel View Post
can someone upload the SD card image from the kobo shine for the user that not expert in kernel & co programming?
That would be great, thanks in advance!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
KevinShort, indeed that would be great if you could upload somewhere your SD card image of rooted Kobo.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
met67
Connoisseur
met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.met67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook Touch
Wow, engadget!
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/k...-android-hack/
met67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino