Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #706
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
In which temperatures can be stored Aura HD? Winter is coming
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #707
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Ordered an Aura HD on 2 November. Received an email saying they'd get back to me with a tracking number.

Then nothing.

More nothing. Then more nothing.

I sent them an email asking what was happening. Several days later:

Oh, we cancelled your order.

Wunderbar! Thanks Kobo!

Is this the complete story?

Why would they cancel your order?

Did you bother to ask why the cancelled your order?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #708
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Got mine today after playing with it at a local store (they've officially launched in India recently). I like the design, and the ridged back does make it easier to hold. The screen is an absolute gem though, and the lighting is very even and makes it look really nice. I am having some initial issues with Wifi sync though, but this seems to promise a very immersive reading experience, so I'm willing to put up with a few niggles.

One question for more experienced users though, is there anyway to remove the sleeping / power off indicator from the screen saver?

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #709
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post

One question for more experienced users though, is there anyway to remove the sleeping / power off indicator from the screen saver?
You could update the firmware to 3.0.0 or later. The Settings menu then allows you to remove the message.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #710
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I recently purchased a Kobo Aura HD and am very impressed with its screen and the comfortlight. The 6.8 inch screen does provide more real estate than the conventional reader. Apart from the quirks of Kobo software, which I haven't encountered much, I am in love with this device. I can live with two pinholes on the right end of the screen knowing that what an awful experience people have gone through with Kobo Customer Support.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #711
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Ordered an Aura HD on 2 November. Received an email saying they'd get back to me with a tracking number.

Then nothing.

More nothing. Then more nothing.

I sent them an email asking what was happening. Several days later:

Oh, we cancelled your order.

Wunderbar! Thanks Kobo!
So you don't actually have any impressions of the Aura HD.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #712
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglow View Post
I recently purchased a Kobo Aura HD and am very impressed with its screen and the comfortlight. The 6.8 inch screen does provide more real estate than the conventional reader. Apart from the quirks of Kobo software, which I haven't encountered much, I am in love with this device. I can live with two pinholes on the right end of the screen knowing that what an awful experience people have gone through with Kobo Customer Support.
Where did you purchase it from? My Aura HD had a few pinpricks, and Chapters (where I purchased it) exchanged my device with no questions asked. Perhaps you can do an exchange or refund and repurchase if you are within 15-30 days of purchase if you purchased the device from a brick and mortar store such as Chapters or Best Buy.

p.s. I love my Kobo too. Enjoy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #713
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
...One question for more experienced users though, is there anyway to remove the sleeping / power off indicator from the screen saver?
I was looking for this on my Aura HD and was wondering why I never saw it. Then it hit me that I have a sleep cover and so never see this!

But that is a way to stop seeing it. Get a sleep cover for it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #714
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I was looking for this on my Aura HD and was wondering why I never saw it. Then it hit me that I have a sleep cover and so never see this!

But that is a way to stop seeing it. Get a sleep cover for it.
Or you could put it to sleep then drop it into a brown paper bag, so that's the solution - get a brown paper bag!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #715
paws
paws began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 1st generation
Quote:
Got mine today after playing with it at a local store (they've officially launched in India recently). I like the design, and the ridged back does make it easier to hold. The screen is an absolute gem though, and the lighting is very even and makes it look really nice. I am having some initial issues with Wifi sync though, but this seems to promise a very immersive reading experience, so I'm willing to put up with a few niggles.

Hi,
Where did you get it from in India?
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #716
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
After 3 months my Aura HD died. No reason. After 4 days kobo says they'll replace it, but damn . . . and we'll see what happens.
Miss the kobo. Reading on the Kindle is nowhere near as nice.
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #717
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paws View Post
Hi,
Where did you get it from in India?
Hi. I picked it up from the Croma at Phoenix Mills.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #718
paws
paws began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 1st generation
Quote:
Hi. I picked it up from the Croma at Phoenix Mills.
oh thanks. I checked it out and it's too expensive. My team has someone coming back from India so I was thinking of a deal....
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #719
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I just got Aura HD yesterday. As a serial Kindle owner, I have to say I really like what Kobo did with fonts and the fact you can increase weight, as well as that there are already more fonts available, including Amasis (which I love). I love Pocket integration also, and for me that is much more useful than Goodreads on Kindle.
I don't like that it is rather slow compared to Kindle (PW1 and PW2), it often stops responding when I am trying to forward pages in the book, and I of course hate the windows and orphans problem (which I somehow managed to fix in the book I am reading thanks to MR).
I have only one problem right now - I am unable to change the Kobo dictionary to custom dictionary. I read what I could find on forums here, but when I open kobo on my Mac, there is no .kobo\dict folder...I have 6 dictionaries from Kobo, but they don't show up on my Mac so I can't change them. Can anybody help?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #720
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not a Mac user so I can't tell you specific Mac commands. I believe it's something to do with directories beginning with a dot (eg .kobo) being 'hidden'. So you need to find the Mac way to 'un-hide' them.

Perhaps another Mac-user will be able to tell you something more specific.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote