Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
matrix200
matrix200 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Need help reinstalling usbnetworking on K4NT

Hi, I have messed up my device somewhat and now I am not able either remove or install the usbnetworking.
I am getting update error 3.
Originally my device had firmware 4.1.0 (ad supported version) and usbnetworking was working fine after jailbreak.
I removed certain file from the filesystem (powerd) and bricked my device.
After unbrick (which I did by flashing diag with version 4.0.0 with ssh enabled and main partition with 4.0.1 using some image I found.
I also had to zero out /var/local partition as the device was still failing to boot.
Then I performed jailbreak once more (successfully).
Usbnetwork didn't seem to work properly anymore as it didn't accept my authorized key so I tried to remove it (update error 3).
Then I tried to reinstall (also update error 3).
I also tried renaming usbnetwork folder and the xml (also update error 3).
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
matrix200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@matrix200:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't try to force a custom update by rebooting your Kindle. You should *always* install custom hacks via the Settings page. If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out, it's because you uploaded the wrong binfile for your device. Don't try to force an install by rebooting. It'll, at best, fail, and at worst, force you to start your Kindle in recovery mode to delete the offending update.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
matrix200

Thanks, eventually I managed to fix it by doing a factory reset and then installing the usbnetwork using update menu like you suggested
I still have a problem though as I am not able to register my device after all this mess.
The thing is, before the brick event, the reboot method worked just fine.
I wonder if those two events are related (being unable to register the device with Amazon and the inability to perform updates via reboot).
The register attempt gives the following error (I believe thats the one related from logs).
E DeviceCredentialsManager:ParseError:error=Internal Error:Unable to parse server response
Would you recommend maybe obtaining the firmware 4.10 and updating the device to resolve all these issues?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@matrix200: No, you never were able to install *custom* update packages by rebooting (unless you're using a custom kernel).

Can't say much about the reg failure.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
matrix200

Weird indeed, I can swear that I was able install usbnetwork using reboot.
Anyway it seems the device is very shaky after all this mess.
ssh seems to be dying once in a while, tried to install some kindlet and it doesn't show up, so I think I will update to 4.1.0 , do another factory reset and jailbreak again an see how it turns out to be.
As a general rule though is this a problem that my diags partition is 4.0.0 and the main partition is 4.0.1?
Also at the same time I never touched kernel and if I understand correctly it resides in its own partition so probably still 4.1.0 from before the update
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix200 View Post
Also at the same time I never touched kernel and if I understand correctly it resides in its own partition so probably still 4.1.0 from before the update
If so, you are lucky the machine even works.

The kernels are one part of a "matched pair", the other part is the file system image.
Because the kernel uses installable modules (a library-like thing).
Those (naturally) have to match the kernel, but are stored in the file system image.

If your running a 4.0 file system image, you need to install the 4.0 kernel.
Otherwise your trying to load 4.0 modules into a 4.1 kernel.
Like I first wrote above - your lucky the machine even works.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
matrix200

I know I am, but I couldn't find the kernel for 4.0.1 only for 4.0 so I decided just to try and as you say got lucky
Can I obtain kernel for 4.0.1 somewhere? or is it ok to install 4.0?