Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Hehe. Sorry i had to chuckle. Just before i checked my mail for forum posts i found a wall charger and tried it. Result is that Kobo is still a no-no, but the Kindle works fine.

Regards
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a small update. I cannot return it directly to Kobo but must go through W.H.Smiths. So here's some thoughts.....

The K.T costs £79.99 in W.H.Smiths.
Athough it's free p&P to return it to Kobo in Toronto Canada, the Air Fair cost is £20.61 for a 3-5 day journey including insurance. Surface Mail is £12.61 for a 12 Week journey.

So. Not knowing how the Kobo will be travelling, but using surface mail, i'm looking at possibly a +24 week return of the product 'if', it goes by surface mail. Or possibly upto a 10 day return 'if', by Airmail. Also 'if', the product is dealt with and dispatched on the same day.

So it costs Kobo either £41.22 by return Airmail, or £25.22 by Surface Mail, to deal with something that would only cost the price of travelling to W.H.Smiths to exchange < £5.00

Adding the cost of a tech guy doing the job, this does seem an odd and somewhat expensive way to conduct business.

Regards
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
don't you think you'll just get back a brand new Touch instead as, as you rightfully stated above, transport and inspect it will cost them more, than to just change it. In France, I'm quite sure it's the way things are handled. And your actual Touch, bricked or not would go either to the bin, either to a broker who will recondition it and resell it as a used one for a lesser price. That's how I see it... I may misunderstanding things of course...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
So, you are sending it to WHSmiths and they are sending it to Kobo, correct? Kobo has told you that this will be done as an RMA? What will probably happen is that you will send to WHSmiths, they will send you a replacement. In the meantime, they will send yours to Kobo (probably waiting until they have a number of units to send). So you might get a new unit or a refurbished unit; it's a bit of a lottery.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
saiyuki
Enthusiast

Hi. This is the strange agreement from my conversation by phone, with a member of W.H.Smith....

I take my K.T to W.H.Smiths who fill out a return form. I take this form and the K.T home to fill out the rest of the form. Then i send the form, and K.T, to Kobo in Toronto Canada.

Now. The person i spoke to gave no indication that they would deal with the matter, only that i would.

I've yet to go to W.H.Smiths as i'm a full time carer for my disabled wife, thus, i cannot just 'go to the shops' as everything needs to be planned beforehand. The person i talked to sounded very confident on the procedure, and the impression i got was that this was 'normal W.H.Smiths practice'.

Still. I will not know for certain until i actually get to W.H.Smiths. I also don't know if the sales assistant can/will assess the Kobo using just visual or other qualified means.

Regards
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #21
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

I'd suggest contacting Kobo directly. Any form you are to fill in a WHSmith's form, not a kobo one. I never had to fill in a form. I did have to scan my receipt and email it to Kobo and I did have to make a trip to a post office to post the unit to the address that Kobo gave me. I bought mine from a store in Canada and had to do the RMA from here in Australia. So if WHSmith is being a pain, you should be able to go directly to Kobo.

Out here, there is a number that routes through to Kobo Support in Canada. If you can find one for the UK, then I suggest you try that. You could try emailing Kobo Support but I find emailing them initially is not very useful and things move much faster if you can talk to them.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #22
TongueTied
Zealot

I just found this number for Kobo Support in the UK 00800 33 22 33 44 on the Kobo website. It could be WHSmith but the way it is presented on the site, I suspect that it is in fact Kobo Support. Give them a call.

If it is organised the way it is here in Australia, you will post to an address in the UK and a replacement will be sent to you from there. It might take a week or so but not months. Mine took 6 days for the replacement to arrive. The UK postal system is far better than the Australian post so it may be even faster.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #23
saiyuki
Enthusiast

I contacted Kobo and was told that i needed to go through W.H.Smiths as they are closer. Hopefully i can get there today. A kind person will be able to look after my wife whilst i get to the store.

You never know, i might just get a replacement there and then. But then again....

I'll let you guys know later how i get on.

Regards
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
saiyuki
Enthusiast

All sorted. I went to W.H.Smiths and a nice guy filled out a form which i then took home - with K.T - to complete. I packaged up the K.T. with form, and give it to the Post Office.

The Mail address is to W.H.Smiths in the UK - why they did not explain that when i enquired i cannot understand. This would have gained some peace of mind, but there you go.

Regards
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
TongueTied
Zealot

Hopefully your replacement will be with you soon.