Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LibriVox Downloader for Android

I am making, as a Christmas present for my wife (she doesn't read these forums), an easy-to-use LibriVox audio book downloader for her new Kindle Fire. An early version is here.

Still to be implemented: searching, format selection (currently set to download ogg files; these work great with the Mortplayer Audio Book player).

Hope this forum is appropriate. There is not much about audio books here.

The download is about 2mb, because it includes the LibriVox catalog (as of yesterday). It will also auto-update the catalog every week or so.

The downloaded audio books go into a Librivox directory on your external storage. I may make that customizable in the future. There is also a playlist created for each book in its directory.

Last edited by pruss; 12-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Hope this forum is appropriate. There is not much about audio books here.
Thanks for the work. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

This forum works as good as a few others. I've always wanted separate audiobook and library forums, but the powers-to-be aren't keen on the idea.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Thank you so much for your hardwork. I can install it succesfully but when I open the program I receive an error message, ”cannot create database.” I have a Toshiba Thrive running Android 3.1. I will try my Comet p, running 2.2, shortly.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same problem on the comet. Does this app require root access?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you using version 0.02 or 0.01?
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
pruss
Evangelist

If you tried 0.02, try 0.03 and if that fails, 0.01.
If you tried 0.01, try 0.03.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Version 0.03 did the trick on my Comet, thank you. I have one suggestion: is there any way to allow you to download individual sections? Some of the books are very large and require a fair amount of disk space/long download time. I was hoping to finish Capital Vol. 1 with your wonderful app but it would take too long and clutter up my SD card with sections I had already listened to. I will be very happy to use it for my next Librivox book, however. Thank you again!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
pruss
Evangelist

1. It could be done, but I think my wife doesn't need this feature. :-)

2. Out of curiosity, which version did NOT work? 0.01 or 0.02?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
pruss
Evangelist

I just posted 0.05 which is basically a beta. It includes searching.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
1. It could be done, but I think my wife doesn't need this feature. :-)

2. Out of curiosity, which version did NOT work? 0.01 or 0.02?

If its for the fire, she may run out of space before she realizes it, given that there's no expansion slot.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
If its for the fire, she may run out of space before she realizes it, given that there's no expansion slot.
I think the 6gb free should be enough. They run ~300mb each, and since they're on the web, you can delete them after you listen to them. Occasional Amazon TV episodes / movies can also be moved to the cloud after being watched.

My own main portable device is still a Palm TX with a 2gb SD card. :-)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
pruss
Evangelist

I posted a new version, 0.06. Uninstall previous before installing this one.

Fixes icons. Adds option to just launch music player, not play the playlist for the particular book. Some other stuff behind the scenes, like naming each book's playlist differently--that works better with MortPlayer.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
pruss
Evangelist

0.10 does cover art, too.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
pruss
Evangelist

A beta is in the Market now.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
pruss
Evangelist

A full (and still free) version is in the Market now.