Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Mantano App

I have the Mantano Free app. After exiting out of the app it still shows as a running app when checking in settings\more\applications. I have to reboot my Fire to get the app to stop running. Is there an easier way.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Repeatedly press the Back button to exit. That should close it all the way.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I have the Mantano Free app. After exiting out of the app it still shows as a running app when checking in settings\more\applications. I have to reboot my Fire to get the app to stop running. Is there an easier way.

Carol

The App isn't running, it's hibernating in memory. You can hit the back arrow a couple of times to exit the App. Sometimes even after exiting the App will use up your Fire's memory.

Want to see what other Apps are using your Fire's memory. Download an App called Quick System Info Pro FREE from Amazon. Open the Processes Tab. You will see all the Apps which are using up your Fire's memory. The CPU % for most Apps should be 0 except for Android and Quick System Info Pro. If you are not familiar with a process leave it alone. However, let's say you see one that you know. I'll use Mantano as an example. The Fire shows it is eating up a lot of memory. If you touch it and select End Task the process will close which will clear up memory. Don't select Force Stop because this is like ending a program that has frozen. End Task is a graceful shutdown, Force Close is as the name implies. Whenever I see Force Close or Force Stop I know this is usually a last resort option. You can choose to end all familiar processes ending with Quick System Info Pro.

Another thing that starts to slow down your tablet over time is that many Apps you install like to impose their will and "open" at tablet startup, just like Windows. These can eat up a lot of memory as well. I recommend you download an App called Startup Cleaner 2.0. It is a free App and you can use it to control the Apps you want to launch at startup and those you do not. Download it here:

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...tartup2_v2.1.0

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-28-2011 at 09:03 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Repeatedly press the Back button to exit. That should close it all the way.
I tried that. Still shows running.

Carol
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
The App isn't running, it's hibernating in memory. You can hit the back arrow a couple of times to exit the App.
I tried that, hitting the back button til I was out of the app. It still shows its running. Shows 2 processes and 1 service running.

Carol
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried that, hitting the back button til I was out of the app. It still shows its running. Shows 2 processes and 1 service running.

Carol

Please download Quick System Info Pro from Amazon for FREE and follow the post above to completely close the App.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Please download Quick System Info Pro from Amazon for FREE and follow the post above to completely close the App.
OK. Done. But I don't think I should have to do this each time I use the app. The app should close out on it's own. I think I read in one of the other threads that the paid version of Mantano doesn't do this.

Carol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
OK. Done. But I don't think I should have to do this each time I use the app. The app should close out on it's own. I think I read in one of the other threads that the paid version of Mantano doesn't do this.

Carol

The paid version may do it too. In fact, most Android Apps hang around in memory EVEN after they are closed. Most people don't realize this. Download and install Quick System Info Pro FREE from Amazon and select the Processes Tab. You may be surprised what is lurking in the background. Even if a App is not running it could be hibernating and using up memory. When you are in an App and hit the Home button and then launch the App again this is how it picks up where it left off when you hit Home.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Someone else had this issue with the paid version. I don't have this issue or does SCION. I'm not sure why it is happening either. I can only think it's a setting that need to be change in Mantano. Maybe it's got to do with Synching folders. I would try remove all synch folders in Mantano's settings and set it to only synch the folders your books are in. See if that fixes it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Carol
It's Androids way of multitasking. It doesn't necessarily mean the app is running on the background it means Android has saved the App state, kind of puts the app to sleep so it does not use CPU, it is however using memory. If the system memory runs low Android will close the app to free up memory, meanwhile still saving the sate. You don't need a task manager to kill the app some Android gurus even argue it's bad to force close an app.

It took me a while to get use to this and after a while one does. My experience is for the most part apps behave properly and you don't have to close apps. The only time I use a task manager to kill an app is when the app is misbehaving.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Someone else had this issue with the paid version. I don't have this issue or does SCION. I'm not sure why it is happening either. I can only think it's a setting that need to be change in Mantano. Maybe it's got to do with Synching folders. I would try remove all synch folders in Mantano's settings and set it to only synch the folders your books are in. See if that fixes it.
That did it. It was set to sync /mnt. That was the parent folder for SDcard. So I'm guessing it was scanning my whole usable partition. I set it to sync with ebooks folder. That's probably the one I'll use if I load any epub books.

Thanks
Carol
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That did it. It was set to sync /mnt. That was the parent folder for SDcard. So I'm guessing it was scanning my whole usable partition. I set it to sync with ebooks folder. That's probably the one I'll use if I load any epub books.

Thanks
Carol
Yay! Now we know what is causing it! Now if I can find the other thread with the person who has the same problem.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-28-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It's Androids way of multitasking. It doesn't necessarily mean the app is running on the background it means Android has saved the App state, kind of puts the app to sleep so it does not use CPU, it is however using memory. If the system memory runs low Android will close the app to free up memory, meanwhile still saving the sate. You don't need a task manager to kill the app some Android gurus even argue it's bad to force close an app.

It took me a while to get use to this and after a while one does. My experience is for the most part apps behave properly and you don't have to close apps. The only time I use a task manager to kill an app is when the app is misbehaving.

=X=
Agreed. I think there was an issue in an earlier version of Android that was resolved, but the urban legend continues.

If you really need to stop an app, just go to settings -> applications -> the app name -> force stop button
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Agreed. I think there was an issue in an earlier version of Android that was resolved, but the urban legend continues.

If you really need to stop an app, just go to settings -> applications -> the app name -> force stop button
Keep in mind that some apps running in the background aren't suspended and will drain your battery. Mantano was running in the background because it was searching the entire Fire for epubs and pdfs. Now leaving that running will drain the battery not sure how much but it's possible it's got stuck in memory due to compatibility issues.

So we now know how to fix it to close down when exiting.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
I have 1.6.4 full version that will not shut down. Set Sync folder to books and still have problem. I do Force stop after exit. Sent email to Mantano support but they never got back with me. It works fine otherwise.
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote