Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Mulitple Computers, single shared folder

I run a Windows Home Server here as my repository for books, music, pictures and TiVo recordings, as well as handling client backups. I personally use 4 different computers, depending on what room I'm in, or what I'm doing.

My Calibre library is located on WHS box, mapped to my K: drive on all clients. I _expected_ this to mean that all my Calibre's would stay sync'd up, but I end up with some books not showing on some machines. (Note: I'm REALLY careful NOT to run two copies of Calibre at the same time.)

How can I get them back in sync so that all machines see the same library? And, if all else fails, how do I completely remove Calibre from a machine so that it thinks it's never been there. (All are Windows 7 machines.)

Thanks,

Charlie.
(and yes, I'd really, really like a multiuser version of Calibre.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
My Calibre library is located on WHS box, mapped to my K: drive on all clients. I _expected_ this to mean that all my Calibre's would stay sync'd up, but I end up with some books not showing on some machines. (Note: I'm REALLY careful NOT to run two copies of Calibre at the same time.)
There's no reason I can think of that it won't stay sync'd up if you're certain you aren't running two copies of Calibre at the same time. There should only be one database file.

I forget the default setting, but check your Look & Feel settings of "Enable System tray icon" on all 4 installations to make sure it's not staying alive in the system tray on one. If that's not it, make sure you're waiting long enough for all processes to end.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Starson17. I'm sure I don't have the system tray icon, I thought of that one. But it's possible at some point I didn't close it out when I changed to a different machine. But now I definitely have them out of sync. If I open the library on my primary laptop, it is not seeing new books I added this morning on my main desktop. And if I run the database check on my primary laptop, it sees the missing books as ones it wants to delete. What I really want it to do is simply ADD them back in. But if I try to add them from a second machine, then the first doesn't see it and I have duplicate folders on the share.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
If I open the library on my primary laptop, it is not seeing new books I added this morning on my main desktop.
That's not out of sync. That sounds like the laptop was open when you added from the main, and the laptop wrote over your database changes from the main.

Quote:
And if I run the database check on my primary laptop, it sees the missing books as ones it wants to delete.
It should be (and sounds like it is) seeing the folders with the books in them, but not any matching data in the database. That's consistent with the above scenario.

Quote:
What I really want it to do is simply ADD them back in.
Go ahead. let the database check clean up (delete) the folders, then add the books from your original source books. If source books aren't available, remove the folders, then clean, then add from the removed folders.

Quote:
But if I try to add them from a second machine, then the first doesn't see it and I have duplicate folders on the share.
The first should see them just fine. Make sure the first is off, add from the second, then the first should see what you see in the second. Both should see the same metadata.db database file. It's only the folders and book copies that are floating around disconnected from your db.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hmm. The laptop was open, but Calibre was definitely not running. (Just verified that it hadn't, somehow, managed to get itself set to run as an icon. )

I've certainly still got the source books, that's not an issue. And I've got saved versions of the Calibre library in local databases as well, for when I'm not on my own network.

I'll try deleting and re-adding them. But what would ultimately be better, I suspect, is a way to actually remove all traces of Calibre and start over on machines that are out of sync. That seems nigh unto impossible, unfortunately. (I've tried, without much success.)
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, I've got the two computers back to agreeing about what books are in my library. But I seem to have lost a lot of customizations, things like covers and metadata are toast. Ah, well. A pleasant way to spend an afternoon or two.

Thank you.

Charlie.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
But what would ultimately be better, I suspect, is a way to actually remove all traces of Calibre and start over on machines that are out of sync. That seems nigh unto impossible, unfortunately. (I've tried, without much success.)
You'd need to uninstall, then verify that the installation directory is gone. The settings directory you'll have to remove manually, on Windows, it resides in the application data folder in your profile.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
You'd need to uninstall, then verify that the installation directory is gone. The settings directory you'll have to remove manually, on Windows, it resides in the application data folder in your profile.
Thanks. I finally found that (hidden) folder. I'm using this information to try a clean install and connection from the second laptop now.

It would be a good thing if Calibre gave you the option of removing everything when it is uninstalled. I honestly don't like programs that only partially uninstall.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think that, on Windows, the uninstallation is handled by the MSI installer. I don't know if it is possible to include files in the deinstallation that were created after the software was installed.
Also, if the settings directory were to be included in the uninstall, it should at least be a selectable option. People downgrading to older versions would need to uninstall first and might want to keep their settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
rbid
rbid began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great, the Calibre settings could be installed in a shared place as well, so the changes will be also sensed by the other computers?... is this possible?
rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbid View Post
Great, the Calibre settings could be installed in a shared place as well, so the changes will be also sensed by the other computers?... is this possible?
Yes. You can do this one of two ways.

1. Run calibre using the Portable version.
2. Run calibre via the calibre-portable.bat batch file, found in the resources directory.

The batch file is well documented internally.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote