Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
pinky62
Zealot
pinky62 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
Question want to use pre-rstore.db

Hi guys I used restore database accidentally and lost 1000 books. The pre-restore database file is larger and i am 100% sure it has my entire dat. Theonly question is how do i use this metadata_pre_restore.db . Do I do a library maintenance restore again or do something else. I am desperate.Govind please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Govind for the reply. Can you pls explain 1) do you want me to rename metadat.pre-retsore.db as metadata.db. Andthen should i open calibre and restore from the library maintenance dailogue. This is what i understood from previous msg. Can yoy pls confirm. I am a relative novice at this and dont want to mess the only chance of fixing mylost library. Thanks

Last edited by theducks; 02-10-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: 2 threads
pinky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply replace metadata.db with metadata_pre_restore.db
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Simply renaming (deleting the old one) the file should do it.

This assumes the books are still there and what you did did not mess up the Author or title
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
pinky62
Zealot
pinky62 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
pre_restore.db

thanks worked like a charm.
pinky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky62 View Post
thanks worked like a charm.
Great
You got lucky. (When I mess up, only a restore from a full backup works. Faster the computer: Bigger the mistakes )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Device: none
I'd like to add my question here because I think it is a similar problem.

My metadata.db got corrupted and the programme did no open but just tried to and then simply crashed.
I copied a backup db into the Library folder instead of the corrupted one and Calibre opens.

My problem is now that I have a db that does not contain the added books after the last backup. The books however are in the Library folder.
Since the db ist big and there have always been problems with running maintenance I am not sure if I can run it wihtout crashing.

Anyway, I have no idea what would be the best solution anyway.
Simply adding the books again? I took copies and put them into a different directory so I can handle this like new additions from directory.

But will this overwrite the folders and files in the library, will it create duplicates or will Calibre just "update" metadata respectively add entries to the db?

P.S. As I thought - maintenance is not possible, Calibre crashes.

Last edited by manawydan; 02-16-2014 at 02:56 PM.
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If calibre is crashing when you try to perform maintenance, then something is wrong, it shouldn't do that. It sounds like something is wrong with the new database as well. Can you describe the steps you took to get this problem?

Adding the books again will create a new entry, but if the books don't have an entry at the moment, you will end up with one entry, I'd think. It won't however, overwrite the files in the library. calibre uses an id number included in the filename that will never be reused to make sure each book record is unique.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Can you describe the steps you took to get this problem?
Wish I could.
Apart from that there are many books/entries and there has been quite a lot of handling (editing, deleting etc.) I do not know what could have caused it.

Apart from Windows or hardware messing it up that is.
And although there indeed is a problem on my system which I couldn't track (yet) I don't think that is likely.

However I don't think there is another option but to either start from scratch or use the current db.
Or is there a way to check the db apart from library maintenance?
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@manawydan - have you tried doing a database restore, it will build a fresh database from the .opf files in the book folders, that's why they're there.

Might as well start from the books that are actually in the library, at least then you should have a stable base on which to add missing books etc

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote