Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Byzantine
Byzantine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
How to turn Word into Kindle Format 8?

I know I can upload a Word document to my Kindle email address, and get a mobi file on my Kindle device, but I found it's not in Kindle Format 8.
How can I control the output format?
My device is old Kindle Keyboard, I'm not sure if it's relative to the device, but it does support Kindle Format 8 after updated to version 3.4
Thanks.
Byzantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
I know I can upload a Word document to my Kindle email address, and get a mobi file on my Kindle device, but I found it's not in Kindle Format 8.
My device is old Kindle Keyboard, I'm not sure if it's relative to the device, but it does support Kindle Format 8 after updated to version 3.4
Thanks.
KindleGen will produce a KF8 file for you from an ePub. Atlantis Word Processor can take a word file and produce both an ePub and a KF8 file at the touch of a button if you have KindleGen installed as well.

It may be that Amazon has not updated their information on your device. At some point you can probably get a KF8 from them directly. You might want to contact them.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I saw a kindleGen at softpedia for free download. Is that okay?
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Byzantine
Byzantine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

It may be that Amazon has not updated their information on your device. At some point you can probably get a KF8 from them directly. You might want to contact them.

Dale
Thanks.
This is what I exactly want to know, if I inform them, I 'll get a Kindle Format 8 file?
If this is possible, I needn't any other software or additional work.
I'm contacting Amazon, but still no response. And I found no any information can be searched on web.
Byzantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
I saw a kindleGen at softpedia for free download. Is that okay?
Hi Alice,

Why don't you go to the official KindleGen page and download it from there (among other goodies)?
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Even Amazon recommends that at least you create a “clean” HTML from MS-Word and upload it to KDP. At least you will be able to check the HTML with your PC. This method may work if you have an eBook with very simple formatting.

IMHO, the best solution is to create your mobi/KF8 locally on your PC with a dedicated tool and test it with Kindle Previewer.

After evaluating all possible solutions to go from MS-Word to mobi/KF8 and/or epub I finally selected Jutoh Plus as the foundation of my set up. You have total control of the output format and the mobi/kf8 file generated is compliant wth KDP Guidelines. You can even generate automatically various ePubs according to the different platforms you want to upload your eBook to.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Thanks.
The old mail service returns only a Mobi 7 version, and for that reason is not much used any longer except by those producing very basic books. It actually didn't serve much purpose anyhow, because you could get the same result by uploading to the KDP, then downloading the converted book file (Step 6).

Early models of the K3 can't show KF8; later versions (including the one I own) can.

I have found that the easy way to get good html from Word is to run the Word doc through word2cleanhtml.com online. There is also a Toxaris utility you can download for the newer versions of Word (mine alas is 2000).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why do you care what format the output is in?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why do you care what format the output is in?
Well, I suspect the OP wants to see what his or her book will look like on a Fire tablet or Paperwhite or other more recent Kindle device or app. Unfortunately, the mail-to service returns only a Mobi 7 format such as used by the early model Kindles, up to the original K3 Keyboard device.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote