Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Kindle Fire Reviews

Engadget has posted a review of the Kindle Fire.

Any other sites have a review up yet?

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 11-14-2011 at 09:14 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Gizmodo:http://gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-fi...us-competition
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/amaz...-35022491.html

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156975

Last edited by taoofpu2; 11-14-2011 at 09:34 AM.
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
http://mashable.com/2011/11/14/amazo...e-fire-review/
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/14/2...le-fire-review
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The Mashable review strikes a nice balance. The bias isn't obvious. I don't care for reviews that are blatantly looking for more negatives/positives. Just use the device as a "normal" user and share the quirks and shortcomings.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It seems almost all reviews are comparing to the Ipad or Playbook. This is getting ridiculous. The Kindle Fire wasn't made to compete against them but other LCD eReader Tablets. It's a tablet yes but not really. They need to compare it against the Nook Color or Nook Tablet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It seems almost all reviews are comparing to the Ipad or Playbook. This is getting ridiculous. The Kindle Fire wasn't made to compete against them but other LCD eReader Tablets. It's a tablet yes but not really. They need to compare it against the Nook Color or Nook Tablet.
The professional reviews are the same ol' same ol'. YAWN. It seems you have to wait for Lisa from MobileTechReview for the real UNBIASED deal. She truly comes at it from the average consumer perspective. What will the target market use this device for? Will it meet their expectations?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The professional reviews are the same ol' same ol'. YAWN. It seems you have to wait for Lisa from MobileTechReview for the real UNBIASED deal.
Yes her reviews are the best!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The professional reviews are the same ol' same ol'. YAWN. It seems you have to wait for Lisa from MobileTechReview for the real UNBIASED deal. She truly comes at it from the average consumer perspective. What will the target market use this device for? Will it meet their expectations?
Agreed, I love the reviews at MobileTechReview.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
There is a lot of bias in these reviews because many of these people that do them don't read very much. They spend their days playing with apps and tons of hardware in and out. ALL of them have played with iPads, ALL of them use the iPad pretty much exclusively on a daily basis, with an iPhone as their main smartphone which never beats the other phones. They're all Apple fanboys.

And while it's ironic that I myself have 7 Macs in my house, two iPhones, and an iPod, among other Apple things and have been an Apple user pretty much all my life, I try not to compare my other devices with them because you flat out KNOW they can't.

I personally don't want an iPad and have no need for it though. Because, unlike what they say in reviews, it's the iPhone, but bigger and it costs twice as much.

The only thing that will really disappoint people is the fact that most apps, besides games, are pretty ugly on Android devices. That office suite that Amazon have pre-installed is pretty pathetic. It amazes me that we've come this far where Ubuntu is now beautiful, Windows has lost the start menu, and OS X is just WOW, yet people are still frustrated in designing apps that don't look like they were made for Windows 3.1/MS-DOS.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
There is a lot of bias in these reviews because many of these people that do them don't read very much. They spend their days playing with apps and tons of hardware in and out. ALL of them have played with iPads, ALL of them use the iPad pretty much exclusively on a daily basis, with an iPhone as their main smartphone which never beats the other phones. They're all Apple fanboys.

And while it's ironic that I myself have 7 Macs in my house, two iPhones, and an iPod, among other Apple things and have been an Apple user pretty much all my life, I try not to compare my other devices with them because you flat out KNOW they can't.

I personally don't want an iPad and have no need for it though. Because, unlike what they say in reviews, it's the iPhone, but bigger and it costs twice as much.

The only thing that will really disappoint people is the fact that most apps, besides games, are pretty ugly on Android devices. That office suite that Amazon have pre-installed is pretty pathetic. It amazes me that we've come this far where Ubuntu is now beautiful, Windows has lost the start menu, and OS X is just WOW, yet people are still frustrated in designing apps that don't look like they were made for Windows 3.1/MS-DOS.
Angry Birds is pretty great. Hubby spends hours playing Drag Racing on his phone. I have to endure hearing it as I am trying to sleep. Yet I can't use a booklight?!?

Myself I only play Yahtz Me and Farkle. I agree Android has alot limitations when it comes to office apps. I use Google docs on my phone. Most apps are made for phones not tablets though there are some that are the opposite. I haven't tried the EA games but on the Market they don't have good reviews. So yeah the games on Android are kind of lame with the exception of a few. I do enjoy reading on it though, surfing on Opera and watching youtube tutorial videos.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
There is a lot of bias in these reviews because many of these people that do them don't read very much.
I feel they are reviewing the hype for the device rather than the device as intended.

It's funny how the products that aren't out yet are always exactly what we are looking for in a device. (Except, of course, that half the comments are about how the new wonder device costs just a little bit too much.)

Quote:
They're all Apple fanboys.
Funny, the Engadget comments are filled with this remark, but I just don't see it.

And yes, a review from either MobileTechReview or The Gadgeteer would be much appreciated.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Angry Birds is pretty great. Hubby spends hours playing Drag Racing on his phone. I have to endure hearing it as I am trying to sleep. Yet I can't use a booklight?!?
I say you give him the smackdown on that But then again, that booklight complaint is one of the reasons you're getting the Fire, right? Let's argue for a new toy rather than mutual tolerance It looks like you're compromising, but really you're winning!

Although I'm not "pro-Fire," I agree that most of these reviewers just don't get it. The fact Amazon calls it a Kindle should say something, since that is their ereading brand and device line-up. B&N even made it clear in their marketing that the Nook Tablet isn't intended to be an iPad killer, but it's going directly for the Fire (and you could argue the Fire was actually going after the Nook, since that was the first concept).

And then there are all the "it's so boring and unoriginal, just a slightly modified Playbook." Um, duh? Amazon said from the launch that they were borrowing the Playbook in order to get the device out for the holidays and would be developing their own tablet down the road. You can critique the form factor, certainly, but don't whine that it's "unoriginal" when everyone knows that going in. I'll start calling you Captain Obvious.

I did see, I think it was Engadget or The Verge, that you CAN sideload non- Amazon market apps, but none of them worked as well as they should, so I'd assume that Amazon's UI is causing some interference, whether intentional or not. Makes sense. Developers often base their app compatibility off the unadulterated OS for widest use. Sounds like a two-way issue to me. Blossom, you might be okay with e-reading apps, since they tend be less intensive than other apps. Here's hoping!
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm looking forward to MobileTechReview's thoughts on the Fire, too.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote