Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Kindle 3: Newer keyboards have matte/anti-slip keys

This isn't a problem report or complaint -- just a curiosity.

I received a new Kindle yesterday to replace the one I got on launch day since somehow the bottom of the case had bent slightly (and it was never dropped in such a way to cause that kind of damage) and a small gap existed that slightly exposed the inside of the Kindle (e.g. the side of the USB port could be seen). I didn't think to mention it to the phone rep, but the unit also had the slow-sliding-switch problem (and always has); the replacement's switch slides freely and as expected.

I noticed immediately, though, that the keyboard and four-way controller have a new texture that feels and looks slightly different -- antislip, perhaps. This is only on the keyboard and controller, and there is no change in the page-turning buttons.

Here's a photo I took. It may be a little hard to see the change, but if you look closely the keyboard on one of the Kindles isn't as shiny as the other -- that's the new one. Model no. is D00901.

The "old" one goes back to Amazon today or Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle keyboard changes.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	61077  
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Interesting. I wonder if this is to do with the fact that some of the early Kindle 3s had a problem with the characters on the keys rubbing off? Quite a few people had to send their Kindles back because of this fault.

I suspect they have now been coated with something better to prevent this from happening again.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Starstryder
Starstryder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I noticed this on my husband's Kindle 3 as well, don't like the feel of it probably because I am used to the slicker feel of mine. He loves it though but I guess it is because he never used mine so his is what he is used to.
Starstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Mine has always been like that and I preordered my Kindle. The buttons have a slightly rougher texture and aren't shiny like the case or the page turning buttons.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Mine has always been like that and I preordered my Kindle. The buttons have a slightly rougher texture and aren't shiny like the case or the page turning buttons.
Also preorder, same texture as Tiersten, no wear and tear; all ciphers and caracters are intact.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My first Kindle purchased near launch had the smooth keys and the arrow labels wore off on the 5-way controller. My second Kindle about 2 weeks old has the matte keys. So far labels look ok. It feels like a light sandpaper. I don't like it because I had the smooth keys first. Other people like it though. If I had not had both versions, then I probably would never have noticed!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
A question...

I resynced my books though they're out of order, no collections, and they all say "new!". If I copy the Documents folder from the previous Kindle, will they work or will the books fail to open due to the DRM not recognizing the new Kindle? It wasn't attached to the account when the books were purchased/downloaded.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I resynced my books though they're out of order, no collections, and they all say "new!".
It should have restored your collections unless you didn't have them when you last synced your old Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
If I copy the Documents folder from the previous Kindle, will they work or will the books fail to open due to the DRM not recognizing the new Kindle?
If they're items from the Kindle store then no, you can't just copy the files from another device.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Buran, I assume both your old and new Kindles are both currently registered to your account? Select Archived Items. Then Select Add Other Device Collections. Pick the name of your old Kindle. It will restore your Amazon purchased content into your old collections. I would redownload all your books from Amazon first and then sync the collections. Worked for me when I setup my new Kindle. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka
MuzzaHukka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Same thing happened. Its probable that Amazon gives people like us (me and you) the new D00901 model with a Matte Kindle so Amazon knows if the customer already had a repair. Believe it or not, but the Kindle self-destructs and renders itself un-usable after 17 months so I guess the third time round you get a replacement, there will be a shenanigan. Might be a glossy finish, might be a lighter screen, the "amazon kindle" text on the top of your Kindle may be engraved.
MuzzaHukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I bought both of my Kindles from Target and not from Amazon. One was purchased in Sept (keyboard rubbing off) and one in Oct (matte version). I suspect that Amazon had a quality control issue for the early builds or perhaps they made a manufacturing process change.

Tags
customerservice, exchange, hardware, keyboard, kindle3