Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
gazzz90
gazzz90 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi everyone & PRS-600 help needed!

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I just came across this place whilst searching for help with my PRS-600. Ive had it since January and have been experiencing poor charging quality and infrequent freezing, which I now understand can be remedied by using a plug in power source for a proper full charge.

Any way the biggest problem I have got at the moment is this: I was charging my reader up on my PC before I purchased the plug from amazon and i noticed that after a minute windows prompted my with its usual hardware removal sound indicating that my reader had been disconected. Confuses I unplugged it and once it returned to its normal screen i plugged it back in to the same result, except that this time the screen froze.

Thinking this was the typical frozen screen i followed the various reset procedures, but nothing has worked. the screen is frozen with the usb connected screen, but i have noticed the menu page is just barely visable underneath.

As i mentioned I have begun using a power plug in the hope that the book has had zero charge and is simply displaying the last screen as the E-ink technology doesnt require an electronic charge, however after seven hours of charging, there has been no change at all.

Also I forgot to mention that the LED light at at the top of the book doesnt light up in any way, shape, form or colour.

.... please someone help... I've run out of options save for sending it back to sony.

Thanks, Gary.
gazzz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
When you are plugged into the computer via the usb, the Reader cannot be used in any way expect to transfer ebook to and from the device.

Initially I would say some of the problems may be due to not charging fully but I would wait until the Reader has been fully charged via wall plug before trying to troubleshoot. If you battery was completely dead it may take an overnight charge to get it in working condition.

If all else fails, attempt a hard reset as this helps with fixing some stubborn problems. Do a search for 'Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide' for the steps needed to perform a hard reset.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
gazzz90

Hi grooks, thanks for the reply. Sorry if my information wasnt very clear, I wasnt trying to use the book while it was plugged in, it is simply frozen on the plugged in screen regardless of its status, with no power light showing in any way. The reader was fairly well charged when i plugged it in and was initially recognised, but after a minute it simply locked up.

I'll leave it charging overnight as you suggested and update tomorow, but I am begining to think there is a deeper problem here, as all of the threads i have read have mentioned how the indicator light will light up in some way or another, where mine doesnt...

Ill get back on here if anything changes or after a day or so of charging.

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Sometimes a full charge will fix problems and it is always a good starting point before troubleshooting. If it does not fix your problem please let us know and we are happy to help.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzz90 View Post
As i mentioned I have begun using a power plug in the hope that the book has had zero charge and is simply displaying the last screen as the E-ink technology doesnt require an electronic charge, however after seven hours of charging, there has been no change at all.

Also I forgot to mention that the LED light at at the top of the book doesnt light up in any way, shape, form or colour.
What "power plug" is that? If you bought a mini-USB charger, sorry, you just wasted your money. What you need is a PSP compatible charger, with a round barrel plug.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Did you try turning it all the way off by holding the slide button for 10 seconds? This might do it as it did once for mine.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
My reader froze two days ago. It was fully charged, so I tried a reset and it worked. I think I was stuck on the "conncted" screen, too.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
gazzz90

The power plug I got is a uk wall adapter specifically advertised for the prs 600 which plugs into the ac round power hole next to the usb port.

I have also tried powering it off by holding the slider for 10, 20, 30, 40 seconds as well as trying different combinations of pressing the reset button and using the slider, holding the reset button and using the slider and almost any other combination.

At this point the reader has been charging from a wall mains power supply for a full day and is still doing nothing, not even lighting up next to the power slider.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

It took me several attempts resetting my reader. Eventually it worked out.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
gazzz90

Okay, just got off the phone with a sony guy which was absolutly no help what so ever. His best advice was to leave it on (actually said to switch it on after I had told him twice it was frozen and not doing a ingle thing) and let it run out of power. Once I told him I had left it unplugged to drain the battery for over a day already his only other advice was to point me in the direction of my local sony repair station... thanks for the support sony...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given what you've already done, what would you expect the phone support service to have suggested?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzz90 View Post
The power plug I got is a uk wall adapter specifically advertised for the prs 600 which plugs into the ac round power hole next to the usb port.
This sounds correct. Since you're not seeing the red LED light up, that means that either the adapter is not working or the Reader has broken down somehow. Do you have another Reader, a PSP or a multimeter to check the the adapter is working? If not, I suggest you to take the Reader to a nearest games shop and ask to test it with a PSP charger they should have in store.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
have you done the pin-hole hard reset?
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Mike_73
Guru

The pin-hole hard reset???
That's what I did multiple times. So if this is the hard reset, what is the soft reset???
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
sorry, misunderstood.

I'd hazard a guess that since you're not even getting a charge light that Igorsk is probably correct.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote