Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
lismith
lismith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Which Fictionwise format to buy for use on Linux?

There is a book I'd like to buy from Fictionwise. It's available in "secure Microsoft Reader" or "secure PDF." I read ebooks on an Ubuntu netbook. Would either of these work in Linux? I have the Linux version of Acrobat reader and Microsoft Reader running under 'wine' (windows emulation.)
lismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
lismith

I should add that no free ones are available in these formats to test them out. I downloaded a free "secure mobipocket" book only to realize that Ubuntu ebook readers do not have the PID necessary to read the secure mobi files from fictionwise.

I just wonder if I'll run into similar problems with secure PDF or LIT in Linux.
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are currently no DRMed ebook readers for Desktop Linux (even though most E-Ink Readers are running Linux). The Windows version of the eReader Reader is reported to work under Wine, as is Kindle for PC. The Windows MobiPocket Reader works to some extent under Wine. I don't know if Adobe Digital Editions and MS Reader works with Wine.

I suggest using FBReader or Calibre's ebook Viewer, which only work with DRM-free ebooks. So you need to strip the DRM (this is probably legal if you do it on ebooks you bought for your own use). Under Linux, the easiest DRM to strip is eReader (ereader2html.py) or MOBI (mobidedrm.py). For MOBI you need a PID, but this can be from any Windows PC (including Wine) running Desktop MobiPocket Reader. Once you have the PID there is no need to use the Windows PC again.

It is possible to strip the DRM from Secure PDF, and then use any PDF Reader. However, I don't know how easy the ineptpdf.pyw script is to use under Linux. You also need a Windows PC or a Mac to download a Secure PDF (within Desktop Adobe Digital Editions). MS Reader's LIT files can only be downloaded on a Windows PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lismith View Post
I have the Linux version of Acrobat reader and Microsoft Reader running under 'wine' (windows emulation.)
I missed this part of your post. MS Reader under wine might work, but you would need to download the ebook using Internet Explorer under wine.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If is DRM books your looking at I'd recommend Mobipocket's MOBI format or Fictionwise's eReader format. these DRMs do not require you do register a windows program on a server just to download your books. Like LIT and ePUB/PDF do.

You will either have to remove the DRM or run the windows program under wine to read a DRM enabled file. So far the only program I know that has DRM working under wine is the Kindle for PC.

As for reading tools on the PC my favorite reading tool is Okular writtin in Q toolkit. It supports PDF and ePUB
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
lismith

Thanks for all the help! Microsoft Reader works under wine but it's not perfect, has some blank screens and has to run at a specific full-screen resolution. It would be my last choice of formats if I have a choice.

I have FBreader and Callibre in Ubuntu. It would be great to have a non-DRM version to read with one of those.

I also have a Windows PC (just don't read books on it) so I can use it as a go-between to get the ebook into a format that Linux can handle. I'll try that and see how it goes with the other formats. If converting proves to be too time-consuming or different, I can always just buy the Kindle book from Amazon, it only costs a little more than fictionwise. The Kindle PC software works great under wine and there wouldn't be any conversion issues with it.

Last edited by lismith; 01-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lismith View Post
I also have a Windows PC (just don't read books on it) so I can use it as a go-between to get the ebook into a format that Linux can handle. I'll try that and see how it goes with the other formats.
For LIT ebooks "ConvertLIT GUI" under Windows can strip the DRM (downconvert). Calibre can them convert from LIT to ePub (say).