Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #31
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
- html support
- an official, full-featured BBEB (LRF) conversion tool
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Never gonna happen. Sony wants you to get all your books from their Store. And the DRM is there to prevent you from converting it to anything else.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #33
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Sony wants you to get all your books from their Store.
Never gonna happen. I am not buying anything with DRM.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #34
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't make assumptions about what "we all" want . I don't want a larger screen - the 6" screen is the perfect size for a fiction reader. One of the reasons I sold my iLiad (which has an 8" screen) was the fact that it was too large to carry around with me all the time, as I do the Gen3 (which has the same screen as the Sony).
Well, that assumption applied perfectly to me. Before we knew what it was, I was hoping the 700 would be a 10" reader. I've always got pdf specs and datasheets open at work. And there are a Ton of pdfs I'd like to read at ebooks.com. A 10" screen would have bumped my reader from down-time gizmo to all-day tool.

I want the Sony Reader to not disappear. So it probably needs a radio to compete with the Kindle. There's no disputing the convenience of shopping and buying on the Kindle. I myself don't care about it but I think it's necessary for the Sony Reader to break out of the niche it's in.

And folders, so I can leave that crappy Sony software behind.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #35
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. I have never bought a book from their store for the very same reason. LITs from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are my preferred choice (LIT DRM is easily removable).
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have never bought a book from their store for the very same reason. LITs from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are my preferred choice (LIT DRM is easily removable).
LIT's are DRMed too. Just because you can remove it, doesn't mean it doesn't have DRM.

BO
b
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #37
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
LIT's are DRMed too. Just because you can remove it, doesn't mean it doesn't have DRM.
Are you kidding me? If I can remove it, I don't care if it comes with a picture of George Bush.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? If I can remove it, I don't care if it comes with a picture of George Bush.
No... not kidding at all. My point is that the person you replied to said:

Quote:
And your reponse was:

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. I have never bought a book from their store for the very same reason. LITs from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard are my preferred choice (LIT DRM is easily removable).
So I was saying that you agree not to buy things with DRM and then say you buy LIT and remove the DRM. Not the same thing at all.

BOb
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #39
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So I was saying that you agree not to buy things with DRM and then say you buy LIT and remove the DRM. Not the same thing at all.
You're nitpicking. DRM that I can remove in 20 seconds I don't count as DRM.

EDIT: Let me be more specific... what we have here is a formal logical fallacy, an equivocation (a more specific form of a misunderstanding). When you say DRM, your concept is something like definition A: "an electronic protection scheme". My concept would more closely match definition B: "an electronic protection scheme that restricts my use of purchased content". LIT DRM would fall under definition A, but not definition B; I can remove it in under 20 seconds, and therefore it does not impede on my uses of the content.

We define DRM differently.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-20-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
See www.prslabs.com.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #41
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
We have the 700 now, so major changes for the 505 may not be in the mix, but I will add my wishes for folders and a clock. That's gotta be doable! From Sony's point of view, what will they get out of doing it?
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #42
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen

Last edited by ashort; 10-20-2008 at 08:09 PM.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #43
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwvan View Post
We have the 700 now, so major changes for the 505 may not be in the mix, but I will add my wishes for folders and a clock. That's gotta be doable! From Sony's point of view, what will they get out of doing it?
More buyers, and more satisfied customers!

I see there are many requests that repeat themselves, like:
- Better pdf support (zooming, or whatever can be improved here)
- Epub / mobi support
- Folder view
- Small apps (like clock, games, agenda and contacts perhaps?, .. after all we could desire to replace our PDA with an e-book reader..)
- Better audio player interface..

For sony it would mean putting 2 engeneer/programmers with their heads together, and work for about 2 months to get it done.
Things like creating a clock one could download from the internet, and modify so it'd fit the screen of the Sony.
Con is that you'd actually be wasting battery, since the screen needs a refresh every minute or so... that'd be 5 days until the battery's empty.(7200 frames)

Unfortunately increasing resolution will not be possible.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

I would change nothing except the sale price to $149 for the next year, then $99 the year after that.

BOb
Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #45
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'd like the ability to download the contents of my Outlook contacts and calendar to my 505. I'm not asking for the ability to sync--just the ability to look up the info on my Reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, change, engineer, feat, thing