Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why use the same titles except to try to confuse/fool/entice the reader into buying the imitation rather than the real thing?
Because the whole POINT of it is to provide a modern re-interpretation of them . Have you looked at the web site I linked to in the original post of the thread?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #92
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because the whole POINT of it is to provide a modern re-interpretation of them . Have you looked at the web site I linked to in the original post of the thread?
I KNOW that's the point. That's exactly why it's distasteful.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So far, I've seen some very compelling reasons for why individuals would choose not to buy/read this sort of thing. I've yet to see a single convincing argument why their very existence should bother anyone. The originals remain utterly unharmed and available.

Smacks of "if you can't love it the exact same way I came to love it, you don't get to love it all."

We all need to learn to get out of our own way sometimes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #94
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So far, I've seen some very compelling reasons for why individuals would choose not to buy/read this sort of thing. I've yet to see a single convincing argument why their very existence should bother anyone. The originals remain utterly unharmed and available.

Smacks of "if you can't love it the exact same way I came to love it, you don't get to love it all."

We all need to learn to get out of our own way sometimes.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #95
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I KNOW that's the point. That's exactly why it's distasteful.
I don't mind somebody writing a modern version of the story, but it would be good if the cover stated that the book is based on/adapted from/a modern version of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #96
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Just as I would not move an inch out of my chair to see a movie remake of The Maltese Falcon, nor spend one cent on a rewrite of the book.
You are aware that the 1941 version starring Humphrey Bogart was a remake?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't mind somebody writing a modern version of the story, but it would be good if the cover stated that the book is based on/adapted from/a modern version of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.
The blurb on the back of the book describes it as "a contemporary reworking of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility". That seems pretty clear to me.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #98
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
That's pitiful - a further example of catering to the lowest common denominator of the reading public.

See Mr. Bennett.
See Mr. Bennett read a book.
Mr. Bennett is in his library.
Mr. Bennett has many daughters.
It is very noisy in Mr. Bennett's house.
But it is quiet in the library.

I guess I must have been a child prodigy because I read Austen when I was about 14 and actually understood what I read, in the style it was written.
I've been thinking about why Austen was not difficult for me to read as a teenager. By that age, I had already read a lot of children's/young adult classics set in other times and/or places such as the Little House books, The Secret Garden, and Little Women. (There were plenty of others, but it's been so long I can't recall all of them now.) Also, I had well-read parents who could answer my questions about the books I read, and explain British/US terms (jumper = sweater, etc.) So by the time I got to Austen, it was just another British book in an earlier time. Perhaps you had a similar experience?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #99
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The blurb on the back of the book describes it as "a contemporary reworking of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility". That seems pretty clear to me.
Thanks - I hadn't seen the back. I'm glad to know they did make it clear.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #100
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've been thinking about why Austen was not difficult for me to read as a teenager. By that age, I had already read a lot of children's/young adult classics set in other times and/or places such as the Little House books, The Secret Garden, and Little Women. (There were plenty of others, but it's been so long I can't recall all of them now.) Also, I had well-read parents who could answer my questions about the books I read, and explain British/US terms (jumper = sweater, etc.) So by the time I got to Austen, it was just another British book in an earlier time. Perhaps you had a similar experience?
That's probably what it was. I know I had I had already gone through "The Swiss Family Robinson", "Captains Courageous" and various Washington Irving and Poe stuff by then. I also used to watch a lot of the old B&W movies on TV that were set in various historical periods because that always interested me. So reading about another time period wasn't an alien concept.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #101
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think modern readers can read Jane Austen just fine.
Any sort of reworking of classics reminds me of fanfiction and that is just ewww.
I would always buy classics, but somebody's fanfiction? Hell no.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #102
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Not sure what I think of it, but it got me thinking - if I read a translated version of a book, can I truly say I've read the book the author wrote?
Seems to be the same situation, no?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #103
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
There's a difference betweeen a modern literary adaption of a classic novel or a classic theme (a very well done example), an easy-to-read adaption for people that can't understand the original version, and a paradoy like this:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the first or the second form of adaption here. Does this intend to be modern literature, or is this just a new form of an "abridged version", maybe transferend into modern days?
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Joanna Trollope's adaptation certainly isn't abridged, no. I honestly don't see why people feel that an adaptation somehow "threatens" the original; the original is still there, and and anyone who wants to read it can still do so. And I say that as a fan of Jane Austen's work.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #105
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I understand your point, HarryT. But there have been some really tasteless parodies of Jane Austen's work in the past, as you can see above. I think some people don't like the idea of an adaption that has no real value on it's own out of respect for Jane Austen's life and work. We need to see first if these adaptions bring something new and valuable for readers of Jane Austen, or if it's just a commercial clearance sale of Jane Austen's ideas and themes.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote