Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
To chime in, first: I'd suggest still pix, plus a written description.

I don't generally think think that videos are much use beyond showing screen refresh type stuff. The ECTACO has an LCD screen, and we pretty much know how those look when refreshing, so unless there's something unusual about it, I wouldn't mess with a vid if it were me.

That's just my 2¢, we'll see what others think too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK,

I have been playing with the Jetbook unit I have. It's actually pretty nice.

Also, does anyone have any PDF's eBooks that are tagged so I can test the PDF reader, see if it will flow the text.

Thanks,
BOb

If it will reflow PDF that would be enough to get me to buy it.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #18
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:
Ok, little poll here. I was planning on doing a text based review with a bunch of pictures. But, I was thinking I could do some video tours of the unit. However, I don't have a video camera.

Do people think videos of the unit demoing its features would be worth while... or would a textual explaination be enough. (The voice would be in English).

BOb
I second what NatCh says text with pix.
Would like to know about indoor/outdoor viewing, and screen quality in general if viewing experience is any diff from usual phone screens, and of course battery life

thanks
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
To chime in, first: I'd suggest still pix, plus a written description.

I don't generally think think that videos are much use beyond showing screen refresh type stuff. The ECTACO has an LCD screen, and we pretty much know how those look when refreshing, so unless there's something unusual about it, I wouldn't mess with a vid if it were me.

That's just my 2¢, we'll see what others think too.
Well, the vid could show the menus, how to do dictionary lookup, the navigation features, the text entry, font size selection, book marking, etc. Also, I could show the internal file management stuff. But if people don't think it's worth the effort I won't bother. Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words, I figured a video was worth 10,000?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
If it will reflow PDF that would be enough to get me to buy it.
Well, I just tried the free FireFly book PDF that is tagged, and sadly it did not reflow the text. Nor, do I see an option on the menu about it. I emailed my contact about it.

BOb
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At the risk of seeming like a jerk for being brutally obvious: did you try project Gutenberg?
Being an idiot, um no I didn't think of that as I usually get those books from manybooks.net since they are formated for my Sony.

The CD/DVD compilations seem to be what I needed. I hope they are all .txt files.

BOb
Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At the risk of seeming like a jerk for being brutally obvious: did you try project Gutenberg?
Well, not so much. I downloaded the SF CD image and all the books are in HTM.

Nice thought though.

BOb
Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad to help, pilotbob!

Quote:
Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words, I figured a video was worth 10,000?
I've always thought it depended on your frame rate.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #24
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Well, not so much. I downloaded the SF CD image and all the books are in HTM.

Nice thought though.

BOb
I have the Sci-Fi CD and most if not all of the titles are in .txt format. Quite a few are also in HTML with image files while there are some also in plucker.

I use bookdesigner 4 and it does not always like the HTML format so I mostly use the .txt format.

Michael
Sharp Mobilon/mobipocket
EbookMan 911
Rocket Ebook
Godspeed eBible
eBookwise 1150
GEM 2150
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
I use bookdesigner 4 and it does not always like the HTML format so I mostly use the .txt format.
Make sure that you don't directly open a text file in Book Designer. It makes a complete hash of all the paragraph breaks if you do so. I speak from experience!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
I have the Sci-Fi CD and most if not all of the titles are in .txt format. Quite a few are also in HTML with image files while there are some also in plucker.
Thanks... not sure how that helps me.

BOb
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #27
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
How's the review coming?

PilotBob;

I got approached, or rather my company did, about carrying the jetBook for sale on my site (www.walkbroadpublishing.com).

Like everyone else, I saw the initial announcement but so far any type of reviews have been non-existant.

Nice lady from the company said I could pre-pay for a unit to eval but I don't really feel like tying up money in an an eval unit. Not to mention, it's supposed to be an eval unit, I'm not supposed to be paying for it up front.

Any idea when you might be posting a review?
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
Any idea when you might be posting a review?
I have been playing with it for the last week and a half. I have earmarked this weekend to write it up, take pictures and get it posted somewhere. I was hopping to be able to put it up on my blog, but that's not ready to go just yet, so I will probably post it here.

Too much to do, and not enough days.

Anything in particular you were interested in knowing?

BOb
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
I have been playing with it for the last week and a half. I have earmarked this weekend to write it up, take pictures and get it posted somewhere. I was hopping to be able to put it up on my blog, but that's not ready to go just yet, so I will probably post it here.

Too much to do, and not enough days.

Anything in particular you were interested in knowing?

BOb
Thanks PB, I am interested in finding out about the screen. It's a full inch smaller than all other e-readers like the Sony Reader and Amazon Kindle but how does that translate in real world terms?

If you have a "standard" size e-reader device to take a side-by-side comparison photo with a page open that would be great.

They tout the MP3 player. Is that simply an "us - too" feature or something that is beyond rudimentary?

For retailing a little more than the Sony Reader and a little less than the Amazon Kindle (and way less than the iLiad) but the same price as the CyBook, what makes it special?

Plus, the screen is smaller than all of the above. Why pay the same money for a smaller screen if it doesn't do anything "better" than the others?

Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you have a "standard" size e-reader device to take a side-by-side comparison photo with a page open that would be great.
Yes, I planed to include a PIC or two of it next to my PRS500 and also a Palm Zire and an HP iPaq.

Quote:
They tout the MP3 player. Is that simply an "us - too" feature or something that is beyond rudimentary?
I actually was going to pretty much ignore the MP3 player and pic viewer. But, since you mentioned it I will check out the MP3 player and see what it can do.

Quote:
For retailing a little more than the Sony Reader and a little less than the Amazon Kindle (and way less than the iLiad) but the same price as the CyBook, what makes it special?

Plus, the screen is smaller than all of the above. Why pay the same money for a smaller screen if it doesn't do anything "better" than the others?
Good questions... not sure I can answer them, but hope to give enough info so the readers can decide.... one man's trash is another man's treasure.

BOb

Tags
dictionary, ectaco, jetbook