Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #211
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
ah crap...

tried to flash it again...
Code:
I: read 0x001e0000 (=1966080) bytes
I: read 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: read 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: 0x28bc1000 verified
I: offset 0x28a00000 continue_address 0x28dc1000 100.00%
I: downloading 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, starting at 0x28dc1000
I: 0x28dc1000 verified
I: offset 0x28a07000 continue_address 0x28dc8000 100.00%

[sudo] password for twobob: 

I: found suitable device
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B00ZZ0Z000999999>
I: got device Wifi MAC <99ZZ9999999Z>

I: found suitable device
I: resetting device.
Errrr..... So every single "bit" checks as "correct"

Dagnabbit? any thoughts anyone?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #212
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Set that problem aside for now (if you can) - -

I have sacrificial K3s in the mail now.
Will be able to help when they get here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #213
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #214
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
All looks pretty normal to me. Except for hooking on a serial console, I'm out of suggestions (and even this is not a real suggestion of mine, that would need equipment and dedication and probably leads nowhere...). As for whether it is actually charging - I don't have the slightest idea. Though the LED becoming green sounds like a good thing to me - I've always been under the impression that the "green" mode is controlled by software.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #215
twobob

hmm...

Have serial cable...

Dedication: Check.

Leading nowhere: I'm good with that.

Will start tearing things to pieces.
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #216
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I forgot about my very important usual warning: it's a 1.8volts TTL level serial port. Your cable might do that, but it would be not your usual household serial cable. Be warned that your serial port might get fried!

That said, the serial console might then be outputting bootloader and kernel messages that might give a hint where the boot-up is stumbling. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #217
twobob

Thanks.

I am using a "1.8v"er.

Have to do a bit more unscrewing first.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #218
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
decided to make a backup (since i orginally lost the one i made of my replaced K3 after all that fiasco at the beginning of this year @_@) before i attempted the optware hack, (use it as a IRC Terminal while streaming games on twitch for chat,)

fought so hard and gave up making my old laptop run lubuntu (it's freeze and "Corrupt" LCD Display after awhile for whatever reason after libudev-dev was installed to compile and install libusbx) durring that time, i left it in USBDownloader mode, i guess the battery drained below safety levels and Just wasnt wanting to work (i could not get it out of said mode till almost being on an charger for 4hrs and got it to reboot to see battery meter had a sliver left. X_X)

finally just got VMWare to work and start backing up, would it be safe to rely on backups made in a VM vers say having made it on a actual pc running linux?
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #219
twobob

hmm.. Well I run the backup script made by dpavlin (edited and customised) on every device I adjust.

You are backing up entire partitions right? mount them. have a look. Do they look reasonable? or are they filled with junk? my 1st instinct would be to say yes...

Other than, say, the devID/partition stuff which, frankly...what the HELL are you doing with optware to be overwriting that stuff? so, yeah, back it up, mount it on your PC, check it looks sane, profit.

Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 11-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #220
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
rootfs looks fine so i guess they're usable incase anything fouls up from not just optware but anything down the line that might brick it, how can i make sure though devid and the partition table header are sane? last unit that i ad to debrick i made the big mistake of not backing up devid.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #221
polymath257
polymath257 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I just wanted to say thank you for this tool. It was fairly easy to compile (after doing an apt-get for libusb-dev's) and once I got the RAM file, it worked quite well for flashing and backing up.
polymath257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #222
hawhill
Wizard

Glad to hear that! The distribution which is the easiest to use is probably Kubrick (see sticky thread), but seeing you started with the intention to compile it, the plain source code seems a good fit indeed. Thanks for saying thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #223
polymath257
polymath257 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I had actually tried Kubrick. For some reason, it went through its thing, then stalled at the end. The kindle 3 was still bricked. So I compiled and used k3flasher with no problem.
polymath257 is offline   Reply With Quote