Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Bodleian
Bodleian began at the beginning.

Device: eco-reader
My Mac can't see my eco-reader

Hi folks,
I cannot get my mac to see my new eco-reader. When I plug the eco-reader in I do not get any icon on the screen and even doing a search does not help. I have tried 2 USB leads and at least 2 ports on my machine but no luck. I made sure that the eco-reader was turned on before I tried to plug it in and I have also tried turning the machine on and off while it is plugged in. I have also tried my Mac at school but still no luck. My Mac has no trouble seeing my thumb drive and my external hard drive.
The eco-reader works with my assistant's PC.
Can anyone ?
Bodleian
Bodleian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Is the unit charged? Is it not being read with or without an SD card installed?

Email Eco - they have a support email address on their Web site - if no one can help you here.

It is a USB 1.1 device (v3, I believe is). I sure thought We Mac owners had backwards-capable USB ports from v2.0.

Did you try both of the RESET procedures cited in the manual?

And let us know how this works out!

Last edited by clintbradford; 08-03-2010 at 01:00 AM.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Bodleian

The unit is fully charged and is being used without an SD card. Do I need to put this in as I thought that I only needed one if I wanted to expand the memory?
I've emailed eco and I have tried everything that they have suggested. If no-one can help here my next step is to try one of the forums which are specifically for mac users.
Thanks for replying.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Is it a new one ie: 400mhz processor?

When you plug it in does it start to charge? ie: battery icon looks like it has a lightening bolt through it?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Bodleian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Is it a new one ie: 400mhz processor?

When you plug it in does it start to charge? ie: battery icon looks like it has a lightening bolt through it?

I charged it overnight and the battery icon does look like it has a lightning bolt through it.
The battery level down the bottom is still indicating a full charge.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Bodleian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
I haven't tried that but I will now. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Bodleian

No luck with resetting.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah hang on, your initial post said your eco reader worked on your assistants PC, so that leads me to believe the issue is with the Mac. Asking on a Mac forum might be the best bet. Sounds like to me that the Mac isn't detecting and trying to mount the partitions (internal drive and sd card). Unfortunately I'm not, nor ever have been a Mac user so I can't help in that regard.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

OK. Walk away for a while. Don't get too frustrated - yet. Call your dealer or another authorized dealer and see if you can find a knowledgeable person.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

Are you plugging directly into the computer? Or in a USB hub (powered or not)???
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard

If you are able to find an old usb1.1 hub that could solve your problem, many people have reported that as a fix for the 5" when that came out (same sort of hardware so probably the same sorts of problems)
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
Bodleian

I've plugged it into a hub, the back of my computer and into the keyboard but I really do think that the problem is with my mac. I'll check out a mac help forum and see what they suggest. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #14
Bodleian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
If you are able to find an old usb1.1 hub that could solve your problem, many people have reported that as a fix for the 5" when that came out (same sort of hardware so probably the same sorts of problems)
My computer head teacher who is mac savvy is going to look at the problem tomorrow and if he can't help there's another guy I can try. I really do think that the problem could be with the settings in my mac.
I just want to read my books.
Thank-you for your suggestions.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
It is a USB 1.1 device (v3, I believe is). I sure thought We Mac owners had backwards-capable USB ports from v2.0.
Mac hardware is really no different than PC hardware. Just a different OS. So it should be backwards compatible.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote