Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'll definitely add Play when its available.
If the Vox didn't meet the required hardware specs required for access to the then Google Market, one year later we will not be seeing the Vox allowed access to the now updated Play Store.

Kobo is simply engaging in blatant false advertising here...nothing more.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
If the Vox didn't meet the required hardware specs required for access to the then Google Market, one year later we will not be seeing the Vox allowed access to the now updated Play Store.

Kobo is simply engaging in blatant false advertising here...nothing more.
is there a link someone with details about the vox not meeting the hardware specs, I would have thought there will be android phones around that have similar specs and have market access

your link doesnt work, page not found, so instead of a false advertising, perhaps it was a mistake and they took the page down
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
your link doesnt work, page not found, so instead of a false advertising, perhaps it was a mistake and they took the page down
The link works just fine. Just clicked it.

As far as the Vox not meeting the requirements for Google Play, I finally received an intelligent answer from their CS team yesterday:

"Unfortunately, the Kobo Vox is not Google certified/have the proper requirements to run Google Play. The Vox does not have the qualifications it needs to run Google Play, unlike some Android cell phones. Most Android based cell phones have cameras, microphones, etc. The Vox does not.

It is something we are looking into but I cannot give you any information about if it will be coming in the near future."

My guess is they are in fact not looking into it, knowing that Google will never green flag the Vox, and are simply stating that the Vox has Play access on their website as a bait and switch tactic.

Last edited by Kboland; 06-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The link works just fine. Just clicked it.
Weird, unless it tries to go to a regional page, i get

Oops!
Sorry, we're unable to locate the content you're looking for. The content may no longer be available or the link you followed may be broken. The problem has been reported. In the meantime, try a search.

If you continue to receive this notification, please contact our Customer Care department for assistance:

Call 1-866-204-4714 (8am-12am EST)

Email: help@kobo.com (24 hours)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Weird, unless it tries to go to a regional page, i get

Oops!
Sorry, we're unable to locate the content you're looking for. The content may no longer be available or the link you followed may be broken. The problem has been reported. In the meantime, try a search.

If you continue to receive this notification, please contact our Customer Care department for assistance:

Call 1-866-204-4714 (8am-12am EST)

Email: help@kobo.com (24 hours)

http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/kobo-vox.html#full

"Web, Email, Music and Apps for Android™

Enjoy unlimited Web browsing, open access to Android 2.3, Google Apps, and full-featured email (POP3, IMAP4)

Get ready for serious entertainment with the integrated music and video player
Popular apps like Facebook® and RDIO® come ready to go and Google Play offers over 500,000 hot music, video and game apps Ultra Comfortable and Travel-friendly"
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/kobo-vox.html#full

"Web, Email, Music and Apps for Android™

Enjoy unlimited Web browsing, open access to Android 2.3, Google Apps, and full-featured email (POP3, IMAP4)

Get ready for serious entertainment with the integrated music and video player
Popular apps like Facebook® and RDIO® come ready to go and Google Play offers over 500,000 hot music, video and game apps Ultra Comfortable and Travel-friendly"
Thanks for quote

not sure why i cant access this

this is the vox link i get through the menus, forwards to a kobobooks.com address
http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox

Last edited by paulsalter; 06-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #37
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
As far as the Vox not meeting the requirements for Google Play, I finally received an intelligent answer from their CS team yesterday:

"Unfortunately, the Kobo Vox is not Google certified/have the proper requirements to run Google Play. The Vox does not have the qualifications it needs to run Google Play, unlike some Android cell phones. Most Android based cell phones have cameras, microphones, etc. The Vox does not.

It is something we are looking into but I cannot give you any information about if it will be coming in the near future."

My guess is they are in fact not looking into it, knowing that Google will never green flag the Vox, and are simply stating that the Vox has Play access on their website as a bait and switch tactic.
I don't know what Google Play has to offer, but I'm guessing there may be some apps that use a camera or microphone or maybe GPS. Maybe Google's criteria for certification is that the device has to be able to run all the apps because once they're available, people will expect them all to work. So what should Kobo do? Come up with a "Vox Plus", a tablet that also works as a reader, or stick with what they have, a reader with benefits? In my opinion the tablet market is now full of cheap knock-offs, so I'm not expecting a new Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #38
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Nah, the all apps thing isn't a requirement. I have accessed Marketplace/Play with an Android cell phone and there are many apps that simply aren't available because the device is unsupported.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #39
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Nah, the all apps thing isn't a requirement. I have accessed Marketplace/Play with an Android cell phone and there are many apps that simply aren't available because the device is unsupported.
I guess you're right. It's supposed to be in the next update!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
Kboland
Zealot

Well colour me shocked! Not that I'm against having the Play support, I just thought it would never happen.

On a side note, I still think it was a extremely poor business move to have the marketing talking about Play support before it was available to the customers.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #41
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
On a side note, I still think it was a extremely poor business move to have the marketing talking about Play support before it was available to the customers.
I'd rephrase that slightly: I think it was an extremely bad idea for them to pretend that Play support was an existing feature when it was really an upcoming feature.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #42
oldyellr
Evangelist

My update went smoothly. I haven't looked at all the Play Google apps yet, but did play around with the Map one. Very nice, but I fear the Vox is a bit low on horsepower to handle it. It ended up freezing and I had to reboot.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #43
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
My update went smoothly. I haven't looked at all the Play Google apps yet, but did play around with the Map one. Very nice, but I fear the Vox is a bit low on horsepower to handle it. It ended up freezing and I had to reboot.
---------------------------------------------

The only app that my system can't handle is Google Maps. I have downloaded about 10 apps from the store already, and all run very smoothly with no hangs.

Edit: Google Play auto-update fixed my issue. Google Maps is now buttery smooth. Good deal!

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 06-18-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Situation has changed...
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote