Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
chirotor
chirotor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cannot install calibre in windows 7

When I try to install I get a message saying the administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. I am the administrator but I don't know how to set policies or change them. No other installation has produced this message. Ideas?
chirotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if you downloaded the install .exe you may have to right click then unblock it before it will run. happens to me whenever I downoad stuff with chrome, less so when I download with IE8.

windows 7 assumes internet downloads of .exe files , which are not from microsoft, are unsafe - unless you overrule it via file properties.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
windows 7 assumes internet downloads of .exe files , which are not from microsoft, are unsafe - unless you overrule it via file properties.
I'm curious and have zero knowledge of Windows 7, is this the same for msi files? Calibre hasn't been in a exe file for quite a while.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-4b44b4dbeef4

Googled: win7 administrator has set policies to prevent this installation
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious and have zero knowledge of Windows 7, is this the same for msi files? Calibre hasn't been in a exe file for quite a while.
yes I think so - I am pretty sure I have to unblock the calibre installer every time, after downloading it with chrome.

sometimes win 7 will treat. zip & .rar files like this also, maybe dependent on what they contain, and on what browser did the downloading. it seems to be more accepting when IE is the download browser.

I would NOT disable the feature as per previous post - it is a useful layer of defence if , like me, you have UAC turned off, as it prevents any drive-by internet malware from silently installing / executing.

just right click the .msi , tick unblock within attributes section , click on apply & you are good to go
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
chirotor

Thanks so much but that didn't work. I unblocked it and it is still won't install. I downloaded it with IE with the same result. Any other ideas?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Temporarily disable your antivirus software and then try to install it? This is what I had to do to an initial install on Windows 7 to get it to take.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirotor View Post
Thanks so much but that didn't work. I unblocked it and it is still won't install. I downloaded it with IE with the same result. Any other ideas?
Try to install it outside "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", make a folder in C: - or in any other drive - calibre.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

post the exact error message if none of the above works.

should now have a different install error -if the original error message was a consequence of installer being blocked.

NB you should not have to install it outside of program files (x86) - that is where programs are supposed to be installed to .
my install is there, in a folder called calibre2 ( dunno why "2" is appended )

also try right click - run as administrator.

I had zero problems installing on 64 bit windows 7 but I have UAC off. do you have UAC enabled ( default setting = enabled) ?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
my install is there, in a folder called calibre2 ( dunno why "2" is appended )
Historical reasons. Sometime way back, there were some issues with Calibre's install directory on Win. I don't remember what it was exactly.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Cybmole, turn UAC back on. There's no reason to turn it off, and doing so can cause other weird problems. Also, the "calibre2" folder name is correct. I assume it's named that way because at some point calibre had to break backward compatibility and Kovad chose to rename the installation directory to avoid any odd upgrade scenarios.

Chirotor, is this a personal machine or a work machine? Is it part of a domain, or stand-alone? Just because you're local administrator doesn't necessarily mean you have control of the computer. If the machine is part of a domain, a domain administrator can set policies that disallow things like installing new applications even if you are the local admin. It's possible those policies got enabled accidentally in your local security policy (google for the error you're getting, you'll see how to fix it), but that shouldn't be the case normally.

If all else fails, get an installation log. Open a cmd.exe window as administrator, and then run "msiexec /i <the calibre msi> /l*v calibre.log", replacing "<the calibre msi>" with the name of the calibre msi file, and then share the contents in calibre.log (warning -- it'll be rather large, so it may or may not attach to the post and you might have to put it up on dropbox or similar and link to it instead).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Cybmole, turn UAC back on. There's no reason to turn it off, and doing so can cause other weird problems..
off topic but there are several excellent reasons to have UAC off.

One is that the the backup registry utility ERNDT can run at startup - without USC flagging it as an unkown prorgram.
ditto for running peerblock at windows startup.
ditto for pinnacle game profiler.
NB there is no way to ""train " UAC to quit asking the same question every time you use a safe 3rd party utility, so when it does like like one of the above, or does not like e.g. JKdefrag ( another excellent freeware utility) you have to manually confirm EVERY time you want use the utility, or write complex auto-schedule script workarounds.

I have encountered zero weird problems - UAC is an OPTION so those who enjoy being nannied by microsoft can leave it on, those who don't can disable it.

back to on-topic, I suspect that UAC does not have calibre on its approved list as it is expensive and difficult to get microsoft to sign an installer for you.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
chirotor

toddos,

It is a personal computer, not part of a network. I'll work on the installation log if I can figure it out. I know enough about computers to get into trouble.

cybmole,

The message has not changed with or without unblocking the program, "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." The only option is OK.

When I run the installation I get the screen to accept the term of the program and then a window with a progress bar that does not progress and then the above message. I do not get the opportunity to install it to a different folder even if I want to.

As recommended I disabled my antivirus but that didn't help.

Again thanks to all who are helping.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If after accepting the GPL you want to do anything other than a completely default install then click the Advanced button rather than the Install button. That gives you the option to set the Install folder (amongs other things).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
chirotor

I have tried to create a log but got this message. "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package." I am downloading it from a different source but I doubt that will help. I did try to install in a different folder with the same result.