Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Any thoughts from PRS-300 users? Would you change?

I have a new PRS-300 and really like it, but like all diligent users, I am really trying to decide if this is the right one for me. The size is great since I can put in my purse and I can get books from sony, B&N, library, etc., since they use Adobe DE. However, I am wondering if I should have spent more money and gone with the PRS 600 or even a PRS-505 off ebay, or maybe even the Nook. I don't need pictures or mp3, I just like to read - ALOT!!!!

Any thoughts?
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you don't want mp3's, or photo albums, but just want to read... then you have the perfect device. The 300 is just a good solid reader, nothing more. If you want other features than that of a reader, then the 600....900.....kindle....etc are what you need. I have an iPhone and and iPod... so music and photos are covered on them. I simply do not care to put music and photo albums on every electronic device I own.

So my answer for me is, no I would not change. But you have to decide your own answer
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
SherryZoned
SherryZoned began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR300
I just got mine also. I have wanted an ereader before they became fashionable. I chose mine because of the price and portability. Here is why:

There are a lot of new readers coming out. Color ones and I did read all the reviews and this one seems like the best one for starting out with. I will give it a year or 2 and get a new one then. Since it is booming now giving this more time to work out all the kinks of first gens coming out makes he happy. Knowing that I did not spend a ton of money on a supposed better one and knowing that probably it will not be worth even near that because of the new ones is a plus. Also I do not need all the bells and whistles the new ones have right now, touch screen, mp3, high lighting options. I just want to read like a book and after having mine for a whole 3 days and read 1 1/2 books lol! I do no regret my purchase nor have any interest in upgrading right now.

Hope that helped.

I only need it to be a reader. I hate going wihout book and have done that in the past year or so due to the fact of i can not afford to constantly buy books!

So no for me I do not regret that decision. I am very happy with what I have and know I will upgrade at a future date..
SherryZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
theles92843
theles92843 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
I am in the exact same boat! And I second the opinions here. Bought my PRS-300 off ebay at a fraction of the cost to 'test water', so to speak. Love it, but still constantly on the look out for something new. The 300 is ideal for just reading. But I wanted a dictionary (hardly ever use it, especially when you are lost in a story, but it feels reassuring to have one at your disposal), the ability to make annotations, and copy-paste interesting lines... Format is not an issue to me as I can find books in any. For that, i think a 600 would be a better device. Or even a kindle2 or nook. I reckon they would go down a notch in pricing after the holiday or after b&n catches up with their back orders (nook on ebay is over $500, can you believe it?). So, for now I'll hang on to my 300. And am happy. Just my 2 cents
theles92843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If 5" is enough for you then stick to it. If not, then upgrade to 600 or 900...but they probably will not fit your purse*.

Are you sure you can purchase ebooks from B&N? I thought their ePub DRM is different from Sony?

* subject to purse size
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Yes, beware of B&N.... they use two different DRM's for epubs now. Some of their books (and they do not tell which ones) have a new DRM that is really a rehash of the "social" DRM found on the ereader format. It uses the last 8 digits of the credit card you used to buy the book. The epubs with that kind of DRM will not work on your Sony....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
I wouldn't 'change' but rather complement the 300's portability with a reader that has a much bigger screen.
crovakiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
sononkyo
sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sononkyo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS300S, PRS505S (ret.) PRS 500 (ret.)
I just wanted to read as cheaply as possible (library, project gutenberg, google pub domain) so this was the perfect device. I'll be waiting for the game changer - color e-ink. Anything else coming w/o that feature is just the same stuff with more fluff.

the 5" screen increases the perception of pixel density, don't miss the 6"
i love the back material of the reader (the 505 all metal wasn't too great in cold climates)

i would change the mickey mouse appearance of the button. not too fond of using my thumbs to flip the page in the middle. should have brought back the dedicated page turn buttons on the side!
sononkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thank you for your thoughts. I think I will stick with this one until something else comes along. As for B&N, I downloaded two older books I bought and they worked fine, but I do know that newer ones wont
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
NickC
NickC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I take public transit when I travel downtown, so for me the 300 is ideal as it fits in a jacket pocket.
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
All I wanted was a small comfortable reader.
From experience I know I would soon ignore all the bells and whistles other readers offer.

I have a Acer Netbook that does all that and more. I wanted to be able to 'curl' up with a book, the 300 is as close to that as it gets.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Wider Edge for Book Light

Hiya!

I'm new here and got a spiffy new little pocket reader under my tree. Yay!! What I'd like is to have a slightly wider edge on the sides of the screen so I can clip my Mighty Brite booklight to it without worry of it slipping onto the screen. I'd hate to damage the screen of my new reader. It works ok now but if I turn the book on the side as I read in bed the light turns and comes off the edge.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Well.....that is except for the can't use Sync to synchronize my reader with my PC library and all that. LOL I had to call support when it got stuck on a book and the guy said don't sync it, use drag and drop. Huh?? Well what's the sync button for then?!? LOL oh well.

Happy reading and Happy New Year to all of you!!

Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote