Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Sony Touch Cover with Light and PRS-505

Just wanted to let this community know that the Sony Touch cover with light (PRSA-CL6) works perfectly with the PRS-505.

I've used the Mighty Bright flex travel light and tried the PRSA-CL1 (lightwedge). This solution, in my opinion, provides good light with no glare on the 505. The light itself folds aways easily and the cover is very nice. It's faux leather, but is of very high quality. Much more rigid than the original cover.

I completely recommend it for a clean, integrated solution. This cover fits the 505 like a glove.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks much, I was waiting for someone to provide this information. The Sony site doesn't list it as compatible, but that may be because they don't sell the 505 anymore.

So it seems you like it better than both the Sony lightwedge and the Mighty Bright. Is that fair to say? Does the light pole seem fragile in any way, as if the light might break after thousands of foldings back into the case?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Doesn't seem flimsy or cheap at all. I've posted a couple of pictures to give you an idea of how it looks.

The light's extension is made of metal and can be articulated into most any position. Similar to mighty bright travel light extension, but much finer control can be achieved. Also, the light itself produces less glare than any other LED light that I've tried. The "glass", it's actually plastic, through which the light shines is designed to disperse the light, rather than shine in one strong beam. When it's adjusted properly, there is no glare and the screen is uniformly lit. There was obviously some engineering that went into this to achieve a more uniform lighting of the screen. I've used it for three nights now in a dark room and am extremely happy with the lighting. It is a bit expensive, but I like having a light always available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2066.JPG
Views:	743
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	37355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2067.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	37356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2068.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	37357   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2069.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	37358  

Last edited by dieterpops; 10-13-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The light sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
It is a bit expensive, ...
And for you, add in the risk cost, in case it didn't fit the 505 or wasn't a good light. Thanks for testing it.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Can you fold the front cover back around and under.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It looks like the cover has magnetic closure - does it align with the magnets in the reader?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
dieterpops
Addict

Yes, the cover folds back very easily.

Yes, the embedded metal engages the reader's magnets.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
What's the impact on battery life, Dieterpops?
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Yes, the cover folds back very easily.

Yes, the embedded metal engages the reader's magnets.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
jj2me
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
What's the impact on battery life, Dieterpops?
The book light has its own power: a single AAA cell.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
dieterpops
Addict

No impact on the reader's battery life. Light uses one AAA battery.

Last edited by dieterpops; 10-13-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard

It's quite heavy though: "Weight (Approx.) : 1.76 lbs. " (0.8 kg)
Is that with or without the reader?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
dieterpops
Addict

I broke out the directions (who does that?). It says the PRSA-CL6 weighs 5.74 ounces with the battery. When combined with the 9 ounce PRS-505, you get 14.74 oz...less than a pound. With the PRS-600 at 10.1 oz, you'd be just about at a pound.

Last edited by dieterpops; 10-13-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Hmmmmm...this seems like a pretty good deal since the lightwedge cover is so blurry it's useless.

They are on sale at my local Staples right now for $49. Plus I have a $9 ink coupon...so I know where I'm headed right now!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru

Ok, bought it, installed it on my 505. Haven't used it enough to be sure whether I like it. The light output seems ample to me, better than my previous cheap lights.

Things that may take getting used to:
- heavier. Enough to notice when holding the Reader in one hand.
- light reflects off the Reader's topmost silver trim, or off the top of the e-ink screen surface, much of the time I've used it. I have to tilt it to remove that reflection, but I myself tilting it in normal use back to these bad reflecting positions.
- less comfortable left hand holding.

The first two are minor problems. The left hand holding is a problem for me so far.

The original cover had perfect left hand holding balance. Light in weight, with a balance point that has your thumb falling on the page-turning circle, and the left hand cover is controllable in the crook between your thumb and index finger (I preferred holding it like a regular book with the cover halves at about 90 or 110 degrees, but I could effortlessly tilt the left hand cover at other angles). Balanced and comfortable. Like a regular book.

But the PRSA-CL6's left hand cover is situated a good inch away from the Reader, to make room for the light. And that one-inch additional margin is also filled with the extra weight of the light. So the balance point is changed, and the cover's spine has moved leftwards an inch. To have your thumb on or near the page turning circle, situates the left hand cover way too far to the left to be controllable. Now I've got a floppy left hand cover (unless you prefer folding it back on itself).

For two-hand holding, it's fine. For one hand holding, it's fine if you fold back the cover. And it's fine if you prop it up various ways.

For one-hand holding where you don't fold back or prop up the left hand cover, it flops.

I loved the left hand holding comfort of the original cover. It was one of my favorite features of the Sony Reader. You may not have such a strong preference for that feature.

(For a reference point, my previous light was incredibly light and clipped on the leftmost side of the left hand cover. I needed to keep that left hand cover angled correctly to aim at the page, which wasn't hard given my holding habits. Its light output wasn't as good as the PRSA-CL6's.)