Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Excessive Charge Time on Kindle3

My Kindle 3 was maybe 20% charged? so I decided to give it a charge, overnight. I plugged it at midnight and when I woke up today, it was still charging/yellow. I let it for one more hour and it was 11am and still yellow. I unplugged and looks it's fully charged anyway but this is the 1st time that happened to me.

Can we trust on the light indicator? Mine used to turn green when fully charge. Maybe my Kindle is getting old? lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Interesting. I have recently started having problems with my K3 wifi. Amazon CS has been very good about follow-up and has offered to replace it. Since I'm curious, I've chosen to jump through the hoops to try and identify the problem. Last hoop Tuesday doesn't seem to have fixed it, so guess replacement is next.

How old is your Kindle and is it a 3G or wifi version. My 3G - no issues, wifi is the problem child.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is wifi ... like 8 months old maybe? But I use it a lot! ...

Like I said, this is the 1st time that the light did not turn green after charging.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Have you tried letting it completely drain and see what happens? I'm not sure what kind of battery the Kindle has, but making it completely die might help as it does with other devices.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Mine did completely drain completely, but it did not change anything. I'm to the point of having to charge about every 8-9 days, with wifi off. Have re-indexed per Amazon and reset to factory defaults per Amazon. Like you, I use mine a fair amount.

jocamp, have you ever used Kindle Collections? I have and have wondered in the back of my mind if it might cause unusual indexing that would stress the battery. In any event, after you use it for a week or so, try re-charging and see if you get the green indicator. If you still have an issue, would suggest opening a dialog with Amazon CS so that you're on record as having an issue before your 1 year warranty comes up.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Mine did this. I rebooted it (hold off switch over for about 20 seconds then let go. Wait patiently).

It hasn't done it again.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
jocamp, have you ever used Kindle Collections? I have and have wondered in the back of my mind if it might cause unusual indexing that would stress the battery.
Collections have nothing to do with indexing, so this is unlikely to be the case. I make extensive use of collection, and my Kindle (on which I typically read for 1-2 hours a day) goes weeks between charging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

I'll call customer support but will keep wifi on all the time so I can drain battery faster and retest or charge again.

So, is this happening to someone else, I mean, the led not turning green and still charging after a while?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
It may be fully charged even if the LED does not show green. What does your charge icon show?

Try using it and see how long it lasts before the message appears stating that you need a charge.

I use my Kindle WiFi 3 for about one hour per day and it lasts from 23 to 30 days before the charge message appears. I keep WiFi always on. Try doing that. Maybe turning WiFi on and off a lot affects the LED in some way.

If you have just a defective LED, it may pay to just keep it if nothing else is affected.

Last edited by sirmaru; 06-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Yeah, it was fully charged, it's just the led not turning green so no way to know if it's done charging or what, unless actually checking the screen.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
My Kindle 3 was maybe 20% charged? so I decided to give it a charge, overnight. I plugged it at midnight and when I woke up today, it was still charging/yellow. I let it for one more hour and it was 11am and still yellow. I unplugged and looks it's fully charged anyway but this is the 1st time that happened to me.

Can we trust on the light indicator? Mine used to turn green when fully charge. Maybe my Kindle is getting old? lol ...
One of my pet peeves about the Kindle (which I otherwise totally love!) is, unlike most other personal electronics that I have, the battery charging symbol never changes from the "lightening bolt" icon once the battery is fully charged. Seems to me it should switch to something else (i.e. a wall plug or something similar) to indicate that charging is complete.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
guardian1xx1
guardian1xx1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi everyone. I have experienced same thing, my K3 was almost drained out, so I decided to charge it with charger. After few hours, {dont know exact time} I decided to unplug it from charger and right when i came to room with my eyes on kindle I noticed green light to switch to yellow/orange. So I switched my K on to check what is going on, but everything seemed to be fine. Next time I will pay more attention to that to find out what can be wrong or probably will use some socket timer to prevent possible issues.
guardian1xx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'll call customer support but will keep wifi on all the time so I can drain battery faster and retest or charge again.

So, is this happening to someone else, I mean, the led not turning green and still charging after a while?
I have had something similar happen. I generally do book transfers about once a week, and if it's a large amount of books (25+) I leave it hooked up because the indexing uses so much battery. Last week when I did this, it charged to green, then after about half an hour turned orange again and stayed that way.

I checked it and I had a book with an indexing issue. Deleted it, did a mobi-to-mobi on that book in calibre, and send it to the device again. 15 minutes later, the light turned green and stayed that way.

That's the only time I've had the charge indicator do that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
jocamp, have you ever used Kindle Collections? I have and have wondered in the back of my mind if it might cause unusual indexing that would stress the battery.
Are you referring to the plugin? If so, all that it effects is the collections.json file. Nothing that the Kindle indexes is touched. Now, most people would run the plugin right after adding books to the device, so there will be a battery drain because the new books are being indexed but it shouldn't have anything to do with Collections.

And sorry for not multi-quoting.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There have been a few reports of the orange light changing to green when charged, then going BACK to orange before turning green again. Has happened to me once in about 20 charging cycles.

I also find it generally takes longer to charge through the laptop USB port than using a dedicated charging transformer with a USB-out port.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote