Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #166
behkhekkhun
behkhekkhun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
new book source

book source addition request - http://www.ccel.org/ - a lot of Christian classics - I use it a lot ...

BTW - great software. I have showed my friends and bragged about the utility it has add to my kindle.
behkhekkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #167
krislars
krislars began at the beginning.

Device: nook
It would be great to support our local indie bookstores through calibre. Here are the stores, including my own in Bellingham WA:

http://www.indiebound.org/google-ebooks
krislars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #168
whoadammit
whoadammit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
St. martins press...they're in the states, but would still be nice
whoadammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #169
Raymond-HH
Rookie Reader
Raymond-HH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Onleihe

I would like to see onleihe as a new source of ebooks in calibre (www.onleihe.net).

Onleihe is a free lending service for ebooks in germany that works together with public libraries. You must be a registred user of a local library in germany, and with that account you can download ebooks out of a pool from that library via onleihe.
The ebooks are DRM-protected to make them readable for a lending period of 7 to 14 days. After that period expires, the book becomes available for the next lender.

While I am here I would like to add a feature request:
As the list of book sources grows due to the suggestions from this thread, it might be a good idea to add filters for this list. Or to have only book sources of your own locale activated by default. It is better for a new user to start with a small list and add some favourite sources later than be burried under a pile of sources from so many strange countries.
Raymond-HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #170
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-HH View Post

While I am here I would like to add a feature request:
As the list of book sources grows due to the suggestions from this thread, it might be a good idea to add filters for this list. Or to have only book sources of your own locale activated by default. It is better for a new user to start with a small list and add some favourite sources later than be burried under a pile of sources from so many strange countries.
Well. There already is a filter. You can filter which bookstores Get Books searches by unchecking the stores you don't want to search . For example, I have ticked Kobo, Amazon US, Project Gutenberg and eHarlequin. The rest is unticked, since I am not interested in books in Russian, or from UK restrictions.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #171
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Hi, there are a lot of posts here, but I'd like to know if anyone has recommended www.booksonboard.com as a recommendation for addition to the book source list. If it's already been nominated, then please forgive my duplication.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #172
TonyKZ1
TonyKZ1 began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
I have a suggestion for the "Get Books" addition to version 0.8.x It is the Project Gutenberg Australia Library, they seem to have some eBooks that aren't listed in the Project Gutenberg that's in the United States.
the link is here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by TonyKZ1; 03-08-2012 at 04:52 PM.
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #173
anfisco
anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
I have a suggestion for the "Get Books" addition to version 0.8.x It is the Project Gutenberg Australia Library, they seem to have some eBooks that aren't listed in the Project Gutenberg that's in the United States.
the link is here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/

Thanks, Tony
The reason is that Australia's copyright expiration time used to be 50 years from the author's death, until it was "improved" to 70 years following the signing of the Free Trade Agreement with the USA. Books already in the public domain in Australia at that time were allowed to stay in the public domain - notably the works of George Orwell. Most of these will not yet be legally in the public domain in the USA.
There are also probably some books that are public domain everywhere, but mainly of local interest, so that they have not been added to the main Gutenberg library.
anfisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #174
haviruzz
haviruzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
add a site

If not already recommended, this site - http://arthursbookshelf.com/sci-fi/index.html - is a great source for Sci-Fi classics. Take a look.
haviruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #175
dasimser
dasimser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo

Hi,

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I use the GetBooks feature, I am no longer getting any results back from Kobo, despite it being checked on the left hand side. I used to get results from Kobo all the time, but it stopped at some point (I don't know when).

Did the Kobo API change? Is anyone else seeing this?

Dave.
dasimser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #176
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasimser View Post
Hi,

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I use the GetBooks feature, I am no longer getting any results back from Kobo, despite it being checked on the left hand side. I used to get results from Kobo all the time, but it stopped at some point (I don't know when).

Did the Kobo API change? Is anyone else seeing this?

Dave.
Do you get results when searching Kobo when you're not logged in? What are your search queries. Searching is working fine for me.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #177
dasimser

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Do you get results when searching Kobo when you're not logged in? What are your search queries. Searching is working fine for me.
I have no problem searching on Kobo, logged in or not.

I did a bit more playing around with the different Get Books options and narrowed it down a bit: it seems to be related only to searches that specify an author. I typically use the "Get Books->Search for this book" option, and this is the one that does not return any results from Kobo. Similarly, if I use the "Get Books->Search for this author" I also do not get Kobo results.

However, if I use "Get Books->Search for this title", I do get Kobo results. Also, if I use "Get Books->Search for ebooks" and just time an author or a title, I get Kobo results (although if I use the author: specifier in the search, I do not get Kobo results).

Using the Kobo wesite directly, there is no adevanced search, so typing in the search field just does a generic search with the following URL (searching for Jim Butcher):
http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...?q=jim+butcher
If I click on the author name link in the above results, it narrows the results to only Jim Butcher's books with the following URL:
http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...erating&g=both

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #178
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasimser View Post
I did a bit more playing around with the different Get Books options and narrowed it down a bit: it seems to be related only to searches that specify an author.
When you use an author search it is exact matching. It take the results from Kobo (general) and only displays the matches that matched the parameter exactly.

For example if you use "George R. R. Martin" you will get 0 results because Kobo has him as "George R.R. Martin". Notice how there is no space between the initials.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #179
dasimser

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
When you use an author search it is exact matching. It take the results from Kobo (general) and only displays the matches that matched the parameter exactly.

For example if you use "George R. R. Martin" you will get 0 results because Kobo has him as "George R.R. Martin". Notice how there is no space between the initials.
Yes, I understand that (actually, I've done that exact search before ... although I usually modify the search string to get rid of the R.R. altogether). I also get this all the time when there are multiple authors -- I usually have to delete the lesser known writer (who probably did most of the actual writing) and search only on the well known author to get results.

In my case, the search term in the Get Books dialog showed: author:"Jim Butcher" and I would get no Kobo results despite that being the exact spelling used by Kobo. Also, if I modify the search term and delete the "author:" specifier, I do get Kobo results for all Jim Butcher's novels.

Dave.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #180
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I noticed something odd today ( this isn't a complaint, just curiosity):
Yesterday, I discovered that The Night of Gods by Thorne Smith is one of this month's nominations for the book club, and since it sounds like something I would like, I decided to download it when I got home. I did take the time to check if it was available in epub or lrf. I was happy when I found the lrf copy.
On a whim, when I got home today, I decided to use Get Books. Except that according to Get books it was available in mobi and imp format, but not lrf.
I guess what I wonder is why lrf didn't show up? Anyway, I downloaded it the normal way, skipping Get Books.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, plugin, store, theanarchistlibrary