Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #316
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdzieg View Post
Why do they sell black version only in Russia

because the distributor bought the whole production run of black.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #317
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
You're going via an obsolete way. Boox M91 if you dont need touch, or just wait for some months.
I disagree. DXG might be an older eBook Reader , but it is rock solid; backed by a 'evil' corporation which will most of the times (if not all the time) sort your problems.

There is currently no evidence of :
- Boox M90/91S customer support.
- Stability in terms of IR reader.
- Performance may or may not be improved in the future for pdfs?
- No solid reviews.

In short way too much to speculate.
You are right , one could wait another x months and then wait for the dust to settle; personally i have been pushing this purchase for a long time now.

I'd rather go for something which has been proven instead of wait for something to be proved.

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #318
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
@rikomuer
will you let us know how you get on with pdf files in your DGX? I need another large reader for the household (but I am in no rush), and for the moment the Pocketbook is first in line, but I am still very open to alternatives that work properly.

Sure thing paola. Do let me know in case of there is anything specific you are looking for? Apart from the obvious use of the device , i do not see my self annotating stuff etc. So if there is a range of features you want to know about , do let me know... I should be getting my hands on it this week.

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #319
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Thank you for this. The best price (including tax and shipping, and having checked ebay listings) that I found online was here. A bit pricey at just under $40 with shipping, but it looks like it will be much better than the included stylus.
So, this pen arrived today, but it is not working on the Boox, either. I'm sad, as it really is a lovely pen, with a nice - almost rubberized - grip. I shall ship it back to the vendor....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #320
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
How sad, pidgeon.

I know the pen you bought is supposed to work with the eDGe, which uses penabled pens, but I don't see on the description anywhere that your Motion Computing 504.500.01 pen is actually "penabled". However, it seems to me that if it works on the one (eDGe) it should work on the other (M90) . . . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #321
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
How sad, pidgeon.

I know the pen you bought is supposed to work with the eDGe, which uses penabled pens, but I don't see on the description anywhere that your Motion Computing 504.500.01 pen is actually "penabled".
I agree. I checked the manufacturer's website, and I looked at the eBay descriptions, and I didn't see it anywhere. I took a chance, and it didn't work out. I just wanted to post it so no one else would make the same error if they read this thread. I have yet to find any manufacturer besides Wacom that has penabled in any of their descriptions. If I don't find one, it's not the end of the world.....
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #322
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
I agree. I checked the manufacturer's website, and I looked at the eBay descriptions, and I didn't see it anywhere. I took a chance, and it didn't work out. I just wanted to post it so no one else would make the same error if they read this thread. I have yet to find any manufacturer besides Wacom that has penabled in any of their descriptions. If I don't find one, it's not the end of the world.....
Amazon has this Wacom pen for $19.99...I'm not sure if you noticed it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Penabled-Table...9316078&sr=8-1
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #323
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
So, this pen arrived today, but it is not working on the Boox, either. I'm sad, as it really is a lovely pen, with a nice - almost rubberized - grip. I shall ship it back to the vendor....
That's the pen I have, and it does work on the edge. (And it is a lovely pen.) Very strange that it wouldn't also work on the M90, then. I wonder what the difference is, given that we have always used the working definition that the edge requires a penabled pen and we know that this pen works on the edge.

I guess that's one more strike against the M90 for me, not being able to use the same pen on different devices. (I'm lucky I haven't lost any yet! I'm not the type who needs to be given more items to keep track of.)
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #324
pidgeon92
Wizard

... and the pen is even more important to me, as using the IR for page turns is an exercise in frustration. In using the Boox every day for the last several days, I estimate that using the IR for turning the page works the 1st time about 60% of the time. When it doesn't work the 1st time, it almost always takes three of more tries for the page to turn.

This has happened to me several times: I use the IR to turn the page, and instead the text size on the page increases. This has happened on both an ePub file and a PDF.

Turning the page by dragging the pen across the screen works far better. Not 100% of the time, but no doubt that has more to do the with amount of pressure I am using.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #325
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Amazon has this Wacom pen for $19.99...I'm not sure if you noticed it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Penabled-Table...9316078&sr=8-1
Yep, I looked at that. It's pretty much the only one available. Frankly, it doesn't look any better than the one that came with the Boox.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #326
nprnncbl
nprnncbl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Are you sure the problem is not with the pen you received? Can you test it with some other penabled device to verify that the pen itself works? Like Sarah, I have the same pen for use with the Edge, and have considered replacing my Edge with the Boox.
nprnncbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #327
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprnncbl View Post
Are you sure the problem is not with the pen you received? Can you test it with some other penabled device to verify that the pen itself works? Like Sarah, I have the same pen for use with the Edge, and have considered replacing my Edge with the Boox.
Nope, no other devices. Heck, this is the first time I've come across anything penabled.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #328
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickomuer View Post
Sure thing paola. Do let me know in case of there is anything specific you are looking for? Apart from the obvious use of the device , i do not see my self annotating stuff etc. So if there is a range of features you want to know about , do let me know... I should be getting my hands on it this week.

Cheers!
thanks rickomuer: annotation is really the deal killer for me - but if it is not a function you don't generally use, just don't worry. Enjoy your DX!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #329
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks rickomuer: annotation is really the deal killer for me - but if it is not a function you don't generally use, just don't worry. Enjoy your DX!
I don't want to steal the topic or anything but you can annotate in kindle DXG. I have the 3.2.1 firmware loaded on my kindle DXG and by this i have the superior PDF capabilities of a kindle 3. Though i agree it is not very useful as it lacks a touchscreen and the fast refresh rates for a comfortable experience if you heavily use annotation.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #330
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
I don't want to steal the topic or anything but you can annotate in kindle DXG. I have the 3.2.1 firmware loaded on my kindle DXG and by this i have the superior PDF capabilities of a kindle 3. Though i agree it is not very useful as it lacks a touchscreen and the fast refresh rates for a comfortable experience if you heavily use annotation.
hallo,
that sounds great, i have the DXG since yesterday and I am very interested to update to the 3. 2.1, but I thought this update is only for the smaller Kindels, or can you tell me how to do update the DXG
Thanks
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90