Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
intunachintu
Banned
intunachintu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Any Hack to use Sreensaver without power slider ?

I want to use the Screensaver and wake up in Kindle 3 without using power Slider button. Is there any hack to make any shortcut to send Kindle to screensaver and press any key or specific key to wake up Kindle without even touching the Power Slider button.

Regards,
intunachintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Why not just disable the screensaver?

Last edited by kranu; 04-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Once the kindle is in hibernation mode (where it does not consumes any power) it will not listen to key events other than the hardware power slider.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
intunachintu
Banned
intunachintu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks! I will just disable the screensaver mode.
intunachintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by intunachintu View Post
Thanks! I will just disable the screensaver mode.
Won't this consume more power if screensaver mode is disabled? I don't know the answer to this, and am genuinely curious - I assume that in screensaver mode almost no power is consumed, but don't understand what happens if screensaver is disabled.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Won't this consume more power if screensaver mode is disabled? I don't know the answer to this, and am genuinely curious - I assume that in screensaver mode almost no power is consumed, but don't understand what happens if screensaver is disabled.
I'm not power expert, but my intuition tells me that it would drain just as much power as displaying a screensaver but monitoring for keys.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The eink screen draws no power except when refreshing, so the screensaver draws zero power. I don't know how much power is used to monitor the keys, I guess you can experiment and see how your battery life is affected.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
But it prevents the Kindle from switching to a deeper sleep state, and *that's* primarily what saves power.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
But it prevents the Kindle from switching to a deeper sleep state, and *that's* primarily what saves power.
Could you explain what changes are made in deeper sleep state?

Besides stop monitoring key and turn off wireless.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Could you explain what changes are made in deeper sleep state?

Besides stop monitoring key and turn off wireless.
It stops all background tasks.
(Assuming you're referring to what Amazon calls the Kindle "off" state, reached by holding the slider for ~5 secs until the screen goes blank - no screensaver shows.

It's called "off" but it is actually more of a true sleep or hibernate, because it holds the session in memory, so it wakes up instead of boots up, when you switch it back on.)

In what Amazon calls "sleep," - "screensaver mode" - the Kindle isn't so much asleep as it is "locked." i.e., the keys are not being monitored, but other background tasks continue, including indexing, wireless downloads (if wireless wasn't turned off before sleeping), and even TTS and audiobooks.
You achieve this "sleep" state either by a quick slide of the switch or waiting 10 minutes for the Kindle to go to sleep on its own.

Since these tasks can drain the battery completely, Amazon says you should not use screensaver mode for more than a few days. You should use the "off" mode instead.

Last edited by Piper_; 04-13-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kranu: Check the CONFIG_SUSPEND description in the Linux kernel, and the power management stuff in general (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote