Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
yanathin
yanathin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
AZW3 book covers very small on Kindle Paperwhite

I'm having a (very picky) issue with my personal AZW3 titles on my new Kindle Paperwhite. For some reason the covers show up at about 60% of the size they should be showing up on the device. I have the "enable sharing" box checked on the output settings since it doesn't show a title if it isn't checked, and I tried checking the "disable compression" box thinking it might be shrinking the cover image. That didn't do anything. MOBI files do not do this. If I export the same book using the MOBI format, the cover is the full size (but I lose my formatting options). Does anybody have any suggestions? I attached an image just to show what's happening. In the second image, if you look hard enough you can see the ghosting around the bottom three books to show how large they're supposed to be. Thanks!!

EDIT: Ugh. Sorry for the upside down images. I don't know why that happened. But you can still see the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1096
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	93481   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	93482  
yanathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I *think* Calibre's simply embedding/pointing to a thumbnail that's simply too small for the higher res screen of the PW.

I'll look into the whole cover shebang once I get my PW (in... a while ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
John Calvin
John Calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How did you manage to keep the book covers? When i insert a .mobi or .AZW3 file onto the kindle paperwhite, it simply generates a cover with the title and author's name under it. Please help with this. What am I doing wrong?
John Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
anybody was able to solve this issue? It's annoying me
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Change the settings in Calibre so it does not send the thumb nail and let the PW generate the thumbnail from the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
alfarhan
Enthusiast
alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.alfarhan is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
JSWolf,

I can't find that thumbnail option anyway on Calibre
alfarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
coolpable
coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolpable ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello,

I'm having the same problem described above, azw3 covers look very small in Paperwhite 5.3.3. Moreover, mobi covers doesn't show (even using the Facebook mark), that's how I passed to azw3.

I have a Touch and a Paperwhite, in the Touch everything is OK (mobi covers and azw3 size) but in Paperwhite just the opposite.

What is more strange, during the trials with Paperwhite there's one book that works the opposite, only mobi cover shows, and when I load the azw3 format, the cover is shown just for a few seconds, and then the standard cover takes over. It seems there's an internal process in the Paperwhite's start up that makes things difficult.

Very strange, isn't it? Anyone managed to solve this?
coolpable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Alberto_TCR
Alberto_TCR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Any news about this? It its possible to define the size of the small cover (thumbnail) generated when we run the conversion to AZW3? I haven't found the correct setting. I think it's hardcoded.
Alberto_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, Calibre was fixed a huge amount of time ago. It now does the right thing.

If you get a small thumbnail, you probably have wonky conversion settings. (OTOH, it would take no ASIN (ie. enable sharing over FB & co *checked*) on an old mobi7 to cause the Kindle to pick the thumbnail embedded in the file, which, yeah, is slightly too small on the PW. Unfortunately, Kindlegen still generates tiny embedded thumbnails too, so we're following suit, and assuming there's a reason for this (backward compat?)).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers on paperwhite